Reload this Page >

First Time to London: Hotel Help!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:46 PM
Kari

I am traveling for the first time to London at the end of June for 7 days and would appreciate any hotel tips close to a variety of things to do and see for a first timer. <BR>

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 09:54 PM
Brad

Kari, I can't offer any information on specific hotels, but here are a couple of good websites for hotels in central London:<BR><BR>http://www.londontown.com<BR>http://www.hotel-assist.com/<BR><BR>By reading other postings in this forum it seems that everyone only has positive experiences using these sites.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 10:19 PM
Andrea

It will probably be difficult for people to help you not knowing your budget - hotels in London are notoriously expensive, and I've seen 200 USD a night referred to as &quot;reasonable&quot; (high by my standards).<BR><BR>I used www.londonnights.com, and couldn't be happier. They offered an incredible rate at The Cranley, which looks like a fabulous hotel (we're staying there in December). The rack rate is 180 GBP excluding 17.5% tax, no breakfast. The London Nights rate was 90 GBP, including tax and breakfast! I am absolutely thrilled - and they are very friendly and helpful as well.<BR><BR>Best of luck!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Kari

Thanks for the info everyone. I should have posted a budget. Around 200 USD would be my range. I can't afford the Ritz just yet.

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:40 AM
bettyk

Kari, I agree you should do a search on this board for recommended London Hotels and then make a &quot;short list&quot;. Check them out on the internet for additional info and rates. Check the websites recommended here for discounted rates for the hotels on your list.<BR><BR>We got a 99 pound rate including full breakfast and VAT at the 4* Rubens Hotel thru londontown.com. We were right across from Buckingham Palace and within walking distance to most of the major sites as well as Victoria Station. It was a great deal for London.<BR><BR>Good luck!

Old Dec 6th, 2002, 04:46 AM
xxx

Kari, one of the best things about London is how easy it is to use public transportation to get around to all the sights that a first timer will want to see. There are many Tube stations or you can use the bus.<BR>If you like live theater, may I suggest your finding a hotel in the Covent Garden or Bloomsbury area? There is also nightlife in these areas and Oxford Street shopping is nearby. <BR>

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:36 AM
Dina

I stayed at the Cranley in November and it was lovely. My friend and I split the bill but I got charged for the whole thing. The hotel has no clue what happened. Trying to fix this from overseas is a pain. So this changes my view of the hotel from good to somewhat incompetent.

Old Dec 11th, 2002, 08:39 AM
elaine

Hi Kari<BR>I have a long file on London; if you'd like to see it, email me.<BR><BR>If you go elsewhere on fodors.com you will find lots of Destination info on London. Or do a search on this message board for London Hotel.<BR>good luck

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Countrymouse

I have just returned from a few days in London and we stayed at the Victoria Park Plaza. The locsation is extremely good as it is very close to Victoria mainline train station and tube and also the bus station. Bombay Dreams and Grease are just around the corner and you're ten minutes on the bus (less by tube) from Oxford street. The hotel is modern and comfortable rooms. The one we had was facing into the central 'well' of the hotel so was nice and quiet. The breakfast was plentiful and varied but the only criticism was that ,as with most hotel buffets, that it could have been hotter. However when I asked the chef he heated up my scrambled eggs no problem. There are many good restaurants in the area and a nice pub called the Jugged Hare in Vauxhall Bridge road where they do a great homemade Steak pie and chips. The room rate can be found at www.victoriaparkplazahotel.activehotels.com/NPZ. I hope this will be of some help to you.<BR>Welcome to England<BR>CM

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Rog

$200/night is your range?<BR><BR>You could easily get a &quot;5*&quot; (ie Swissotel, Le Meridien) for that amount via Priceline.<BR><BR>Educate yourself about how to judiciously and strategically use Priceline at biddingfortravel.com.

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Merilee

Kari, go the hotel website at smoothhound.com<BR>You can view hotels by neighborhood and price, and see photographs of the rooms, etc. Great rates, too.

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:36 PM
Margaret

I strongly recommend London Rooms which offer a directory of places to stay in London at discounted rates.<BR><BR>Also friendly service. Try them. We did and found a fantastic deal!<BR><BR>www.londonrooms.biz<BR>

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Mavis

In Oct. we stayed at Woodville House near Victoria Station. The location was great, close to train, tube and bus terminal. Neighbourhood was also very quiet and we walked together and alone quiet late at night/early in the morning. Lots of restaurants nearby plus a very reasonable Internet Cafe. 69 pounds a night w. breakfast. The bad news - although clean, it's pretty shabby. And the breakfasts were your regular fry-up, fairly disgusting after the third or fourth day. Bathroom down the hall, very basic, and you didn't want to be the fourth or fifth person showering. Depends what you want. If we go to London (my husband and I) and want a real treat and real English hotel experience we'll stay at the Basil Street (which can be very expensive.) But if you're spending your time out all day and need a central place that's handy to transportation, we'd stay at the Woodville again.

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:07 PM
Mary

Kari, believe it or not, at the first of December I stayed at the Savoy for 149 pounds/night. A little bit higher than your price, but an wonderful hotel experience. It was an internet site special, I'm afraid I no longer have the site, it was sent to me.

Old Jan 4th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Ben Haines

To the e-mail copy of this message I am attaching a note I keep on disc on hotels near Victoria station (most of them less than your 200 dollars) and of hotels along the Strand. Many hotels offer reductions through booking websites, and you may even find the Waldorf at that price. Certainly you will find plenty of Thistle hotels below 200 this summer: two are well placed at Victoria and at Embankmrent.<BR><BR>Most London things to see and do lie on the underground train route Victoria, Westminster, Embankment, Temple. So I think you want a hotel on that line. It is true that South Kensington (where the Cranley is) and Gloucester Road are on the same line, but they are ten minutes further put, and not too near the West End theatres and shopping. Bloomsbury is near the British Museum and British Library, but a bus or tube ride from anywhere else.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR>

Old Jan 5th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Greg

To Ben Haines; We are also planning a trip to London could you send me the same hotel information?<BR>Thanks in advance<BR>Greg