First time to Greece

Jun 27th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

First time to Greece

I'm still in the "where-to-go-for-our-anniversary-next-year" planning stage. We've never been to Greece but I'm wondering if the service sector (buses, ferries, planes, ATMs) would be badly affected with their current financial situation. I'd appreciate some insight. Thanks
Jun 27th, 2012, 12:01 PM

Next year?? Your guess is as good as anyone's.
Jun 27th, 2012, 12:40 PM

There has been speculation like this for a couple of years now, but travel to Greece just gets better and better. The dollar has appreciated against the euro, and prices in Greece seem to be dropping. Islands will still need ferry service, people will continue to travel on buses and planes, and ATMs will be dispensing currency. My guess is that next year will be just as good as this year.
Jun 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
twk

Travel to Greece should only be affected adversely at most for a few days if Greece leaves the euro. Even then the impact would likely be limited to ATMs and banks--a foreigner using foreign credit cards should have no trouble transacting business, I would think. The odds of you being in Greece when this happens are quite small.

If Greece does leave the euro, the drachma is likely to drop like a stone, and travel to Greece will look like a bargain. Might want to be careful about locking in prices in euros if you do a long-term rental or something you can't easily cancel (wouldn't want to get into an argument with a landlord about whether your rental is payable in euros or drachmas, so address that in any rental agreement), but it shouldn't be a concern for your average hotel reservation.
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. yes it will be next year in April. I agree that bec of the situation, it might be one of the cheapest European trip we will ever have. My husband brought up the question and was concerned -- but what a story we will have. Thanks again.