Honeymoon Help - France/Italy

Jun 27th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Honeymoon Help - France/Italy

Hi Everyone - My wife and I (married in May) are in the early stages of planning a 2 week honeymoon destined for France & Italy (depart 07/28/12 and returning to Canada 08/12/12). We really need some help as for each of us this will be our first time to Europe.

The initial plan is to visit 4 different destinations during this trip, two urban and two "rural"... Such as:

Paris --> French Rivera --> Rome --> Imalfi Coast

I already see some major cons to this trip, primarily being the additional travel required between all these destinations. We're not looking to rent a car so we'll be sticking to flying or train... I'm looking for any advice or suggestions on this suggested trip, or possible alternate suggestions for a 2 week trip with a mixture of urban and rural appeal.

Thanks everyone!
Jun 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM

You will be travelling at a very busy time; so make your decision about destinations and get hotels booked SOON.

What are your interests?
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

We both like antiquity & museums, so in France seeing the Louvre and Versailles are likely stops. Rome is easy as we’re fine with visiting the usual tourist traps. But following each city we want some relative “quiet time” on the coast or in the country, perhaps staying at an agritursimo in Italy or a B&B in the French Riviera.

Any tips on the must sees or suggestions for traveling between these 4 spots would be very much appreciated
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:34 PM

JMO, but I wouldn't stay on both the French Riviera and the Amalfi Coast in high season summer. They will be very busy/crowded and not anything close to 'quiet time.'

Beyond that, have you calculated the travel time involved in reaching all these destinations in 2 weeks?
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM

Wow, for a honeymoon, leaving in one month, this should be the END stages, not early stages of your planning -- particular for that time of year and the fact that you've never been!

That out of the way, have you even booked your tickets yet?

Rome will be killer hot at that time, so it won't matter whether you get there at the beginning or at the end. Just make sure you find a room with air conditioning.

For the Riviera and Amalfi Coast, same thing -- you might want to start checking to see if anything is even available.

For your first trip, with only 2 weeks, I'd suggest 2 urban, 1 coastal. So either Canada to Paris, then train to South of France, then train or plane to Rome and back. Or the other way around.

Wherever you land first, make it 4 days. South of France, chill and beach time, maybe 5 days, followed by Rome, 4 days.
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM

Neither the French Riviera nor the Amalfi Coast is "rural" in any sense, especially at that time of year. They'll both be teeming. If you want quiet time on the coast in France at that time of year, you might consider La Rochelle or somewhere in Brittany or along the Atlantic south of Bordeaux. For Italy, places like Sperlonga and Gaeta, or even the lakes, might work. They'll all be crowded, but not like the Riviera and Amalfi.
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM

I've been recommending getting a car for transportation. RenautUSA and VWCarsInEurope are great for longer-term car rentals, especially for one-way rentals as they have reasonable rates for those. You get a brand new fully covered car. Search for their names.
Jun 27th, 2012, 01:55 PM

In Paris, I highly recommend Musee d Orsay. It is a lovely museum if you like Impressionist art. Nearby the Louvre and the Orsay (literally down the street but in opposite directions), are Norte Dame and the Opera House. Both are very beautiful. The bridges in this area also have areas where couples who visit put little locks on the fencing with their initials. There are hundreds of little locks in some areas. I'm not sure if you have been to any of these places, but Paris is a very intimate big city. The best way to get away from the craziness of the tourists is to take off down a side street. Everything becomes quieter and more French away from the monuments/ museums. Also, the Eiffel Tower sparkles every hour on the hour starting at 10pm (sparkles for about 5 min). A must see. Have you considered Venice? It is insanely romantic and beautiful. Tourist trap, but well worth it. The art museum in the Vatican is also a must see. They have an extensive collection of just about everything. This is also where the Sistine Chapel is located. You can get to the Vatican by train from Rome. The trains in Italy are very easy to use and can be quite comfortable. Also, easyjet is a fairly inexpensive way to fly around. I bought my tickets for the longer train rides ahead of time (through Trentalia). For a trip like this, I highly suggest packing light.

I hope this helps a little. I was just in Paris, Florence, Rome, and Venice a few weeks ago.
Jun 27th, 2012, 02:00 PM

you're leaving in a month and you don't have accommodations? Oy Veh! Get busy!!

I think St. Cirq's alternate suggestions for "rural" in France and Italy are excellent. You might also have better luck finding a place to stay.

Just remember, a/c is absolutely necessary!!
Jun 27th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

I know that this planning is coming VERY last minute. We didn’t exactly decide where we want to go until recently, so nothing is booked yet as this post is basically my first step in planning. We basically have a month to plan and finalize everything... Think positive!

Surfergirl I like your idea of doing the three destinations instead of four…

Itinerary Version 1.0:
Day 1 - Fly to Paris, spend the “day” walking off jet lag etc
Day 2 - Arc de Triomphe & Louvre
Day 3 - Versailles
Day 4 - Paris visiting whatever else comes to mind
Day 5 - Fly or Train to Rome, book into hotel(would the train waste a day completely?)

Basically I hit a standstill here… I know Rome is going to be ULTRA hot at this time so I’m looking to split the remaining time between the city and the Amalfi coast… Any further suggestions from this point onwards? I’m all ears =P
Jun 27th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Based on the replies that were added while I wrote the above, it might be a good idea to skip the Amalfi and use St. Cirq's suggestions for "rural" instead... Much appreciated!