First Time to Europe- STUDENT TRAVELER

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on going to Europe in July. From what I've seen, everywhere in Europe is really packed. If I'm going to stay in hostels, do you recommend that I make reservations before I go? Also, what are some can't miss attractions to see if I have three weeks?
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:50 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Europe is a VERY big place. Which countries/cities are you visiting?

(in many places if you don't book you may not find a place to sleep)
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 08:53 PM

Hello greeneyedgirl, I sure understand your excitement about going to Europe. But asking about attractions to see etc is impossible to answer as you do not give any indication as to where you will be in Europe.

May I suggest you post which countries and which areas and the cities in those countries you are thinking about visiting for your three week trip.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:20 PM

Germany is going to be especially packed this summer with the World Cup (soccer) running in to July, so that's something to take in to consideration when you're making plans. On one hand, it'd be a very fun atmosphere, even if you don't go to any of the matches. On the other, its going to be packed and accomodation is going to be hard to find.

Once you can post more about your itinerary, you'll get plenty of help here!
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 09:47 PM

A good site to check out hostels all over the world, and book, is www.hihostels.com. You could also post on www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree, where you'll find a lot more younger travellers with hostel experience than on this forum (but don't let that stop you asking questions here).
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:04 AM

I assume that you do have your passport. Consider flying open jaw, which means flying into one city and out of another. England is expensive. When you see the price in pounds, double it for the dollar.

Northern Europe is prettier but southern Europe is more fun. For fun, fly into either Madrid or Barcelona and fly out of either Rome or Athens.

Book your hostels in advance during the summer. I stayed at a hostel in Rome last year and it was full. Hostels in Berlin are so expensive this summer, I booked a hotel on www.expedia.com.

You can book hostels at www.bookhostels.com or www.hostelz.com

Try to stay two nights at each location or go on a tour.

You could check for budget flights on www.whichbudget.com or www.ryanair.com or www.easyjet.com

Pack very light; two pair of pants and two pair of shorts. If you can't carry your backpack up three flights of stairs, go on a cruise or tour.

Good luck.