Spain-help with Sept travel plans

Old Apr 24th, 2006, 03:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain-help with Sept travel plans

ok...need some help and feedback. We are going to fly into/out of Madrid mid-Sept. From there drive to Burgos and then on to Bilbao and Santander...here's what I would like to get some advice on: 1. should we wait to rent a car until we are ready to start our drive (probably day 2 after we rest up); 2. any websites for Spanish B&B's/inns that you've found helpful; 3. Any must see spots...we'd like to do at least one vineyard, the Guggenheim....
Best areas to stay in Madrid so we could walk most places along w/ hotel rec's...I know it's alot to ask....
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 04:50 AM

I'm doing a similar itinerary in reverse this summer. However, I'm not renting a car, I'm doing it by plane/ bus.

In Bilbao I'm staying at Hotel Lopez de Haro which is very convenient to old town and Guggenheim. From Bilbao you can do a day trip to San Sebastian. From there I will take the Alsa bus to Santander where I will stay at Hotel Bahia ( stayed there last year)which faces the bay and its not too far from the beautiful beaches of El Sardinero( approx. 25 mins walking or there are frequent buses). From Santander you could do day trips to Santillana del Mar and Picos de Europa region. I have already been to Santillana so this year I will do a day trip to Potes/ Fuente De and the Picos area.

From Santander I will go by Continental bus to Burgos for a couple of days and will stay at the NH Palacio de La Merced. It is supposed to be in a lovely old building right in town . Website for NH hotels is www.nh-hotels.com
In Burgos I will be visiting the Cathedral, el Monasterio de las Huelgas and la Cartuja de Miraflores.

From Burgos to Madrid also by bus where I will stay at Hotel Villa Real. I have stayed twice there and love its location. It is almost in front of the Prado museum and very convenient for walking to Plaza Mayor. www.derbyhotels.es

I have been in all these places before except Burgos. If you have any other q's let me know. Unfortunately I will not have time to do the vineyards( I am assuming you're referring to the Rioja region?) so I have no suggestions there.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 10:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dear leah:

You may want to check Maribel's guides: www.maribelsguides.com
for more info.

There is also a wine region, along the Duero, which is south of Burgos(I need help here, not sure exactly where).

Search above by typing in Bilbao, Basque or Santander to pull up old posts.

Good luck,
MY
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 03:57 AM

cruiseluv: If you take the bus tour to Potes & Fuente Dé, don't pay for the 'meal included' tour. They take you to a restaurant outside town that seats you on wooden benches at long wooden tables. They are very stingy with the bread and wine. Been there; done that! You can do a lot better on your own in Potes.

leahinsc: A car can be a burden in Madrid. Yes, you should wait until you are ready to leave before picking up your rental car. Also, I think there are rental agencies near Chamartin Station. You can get on the northbound highway quickly & easily from there.
Old Apr 25th, 2006, 04:14 AM

Hi Nedsireland,

Do you suggest that it's better if I do the trip on my own by bus? Last year I checked the bus schedule and there were very few connections. I was concerned that if I encountered lines or some delay in Fuente De for the cable car I might not make my connection back to Santander! Also I didn't know how I would go by myself from Potes to San Toribio in Liebana.