Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

first time to Europe-need basic travel info

Old May 24th, 2002, 08:35 PM
tom

I am travelling to France next week, I need few basic information. I am flying United, how do I get to TGV CDG? What is the best way to avoid boarding the wrong train. What do I need to be aware before and after boarding.

I need to catch a taxi in Avignon to St.Remy.
What is the average fare and how would I avoid gypsy cabs?

Thanks a million.

Old May 25th, 2002, 10:40 AM
sueb

I have the same question. Anyone?

Old May 25th, 2002, 10:59 AM
Andre

Tom and sueb,

Relax, it's easy!

United arrives at terminal 1, so you need to take an ADP white and yellow shuttle bus to the TGV station at terminal 2. The buses leave from the lower level (shopping concourse). YOU NEED TO TAKE LINE 1. THIS IS IMPORTANT - if you take the wrong bus you might end up at the Roissypole station, where only local trains bound for Paris stop.

So just take the right bus, get off at the TGV station (3rd) stop and you'll be fine!

I've never taken a taxi to St. Remy so can't help with the fare, but just go to the taxi queue (it's clearly marked) and wait for an official cab with a "taxi" sign on the roof. If someone accosts you offering a ride, just tell them NO.

Two questions:
1) Do you already have your TGV tickets? If not, prepurchase them ASAP at
www.sncf.com

2) Why aren't you renting a car in Avignon? You'll enjoy exploring the Provence far more with a set of wheels!

Bon voyage,
Andre

Old May 25th, 2002, 11:03 PM
tom

Andre, thank you for the valuable information. My wife and I can relax a bit and enjoy.

Old May 26th, 2002, 04:20 AM
GypsyCab

Sometimes "gypsy" cabs are your only option, particularly in smaller cities and towns. In many cases, professional cabs usually have a roof sign and/or name of taxi company on the vehicle and fares are noted on the cab card. Still, in small towns, sometimes an unmarked vehicle is your only option. Agree upon the total fare before entering the taxi. Listen to your inner "street smart" intuition and ask locals for advice.