First time to Europe

Search

First time to Europe

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to Europe

My best friend and I (both 56 yr old females) are going to France for a wedding in June 2022. We're planning to go early and spend a couple of weeks in Germany, Austria, Switzerland then a few days in Paris then wrapping it up with the wedding. Looking for ideas of where to go, best way to get around. We like flexibility so a tour wouldn't be good for us. We'll have luggage that we won't want to drag everywhere either. Does it make sense to have a "home base" or two to take smaller day trips from? We aren't into hiking, more just get a taste of the local cultures and see some beautiful sites. Any suggested itineraries and logistical advice would be appreciated.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Your questions are so open-ended as to be nearly impossible to answer. I suggest you spend some time reading guidebooks (online, bookstore, library, YouTube, whatever) and find what interests you, decide what country/countries you want to focus on, how fast or slow you want to travel, whether you want to drive at all, how much time you actually have, and then come back with a general idea of where you want to go. Try not to get too ambitious and put everything into this trip. Don't short-change your time in Paris, esp. if some time will be taken up with wedding events. "A couple of weeks" isn't as long as you may think.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 08:38 AM

As first-timers, I'd suggest a guided tour. You won't have to worry about getting tickets, finding transportation, or standing in long lines. You very well might sacrifice staying longer at a place that calls out to you BUT when you return, you'll have an idea of what to do. Check online then come back here for reviews. A friend of mine loved the Danube River tour...you might want to check those as well.
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 09:22 AM

Slorenzi-
Your request for suggestions implicitly assumes that all people have similar interests. Other than avoiding hikes, you've given no guidance as to your interests and disinterests. You HAVE narrowed options down to Austria/Germany/Switzerland/France---does this mean you want to see mountains? Yodelers? Lederhosen? or does it mean you don't like unfamiliar foods?

Many on this forum could help you, but why would an art lover tell you what museums to see which art at, if you loathe art and museums?

Tell us your likes, your dislikes, your interests, why you want Austria but not Slovenia? Switzerland but not Italy?
Old Nov 8th, 2021, 09:36 AM

Where is the wedding?
How much time will you be at the wedding?
How many days total will you have, including travel days to and from Europe?
What city will you need to depart for return home. You will need to be there the night before, so make that city your last place to visit. Do not stay anyplace twice.

Travel by train is easy and goes from city center to city center. If you wish, you can hire a local guide in different cities. That way, you have flexibility to visit the places you have chosen, plus fit in the schedule of the wedding venue.

Travel from place to place (no matter how you do it) will eat up more time than you might think. Getting from hotel to train station to next city and next hotel can be a few hours or more.
Two nights in a place give one whole day, three nights give two, etc.

Think in terms of places, areas or cities, not countries. Perhaps pick one or two places in each country and do a day trip or local tour from each. You are thinking of covering so much ground that you can’t use only one base.
You already have Paris. If each of you pick a couple of places, that will actually be all you have time for.

It is important to know more specifically what you want to see or do in each country?
If cost is an issue, that is important too. Some places are much more expensive.

Logically, you should look at multi-city (open jaw) tickets (Not two, one-way), into one city and out of your departure city.
If the wedding is not in Paris, then try to depart from near the wedding venue or do Paris after the wedding and depart from Paris.
Knowing where the wedding is and when you need to be there will help considerably with planning.
Old Dec 26th, 2021, 01:38 PM

Four countries over two weeks is two countries too many IMHO. Focus on France and add one other where you can get via train. A 22" carryon should more than suffice for your suitcase, plus a soft backpack or tote for carryon -- that's it. But you must decide per Fodorites above what your interests are. We have no idea what you enjoy except that you don't wish to hike. Cities? Villages? Shopping? Museums? I would not get a guided tour, as for the most part, we hate tours, preferring to do what we want to do most. Travel research is my favorite hobby. It's very easy to make your own reservations too.
Old Dec 26th, 2021, 05:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
aliced: I doubt we'll see the OP again -- she posted Nov 8 and since then crickets.