First time to England

Old May 28th, 2018, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time to England

Hi everyone! My wife and I are in our early 30s and can't be more excited to take our first trip to England next year! We will be there for 15 nights, and will be spending our time in London and Manchester. We are interested in history and ruins, architecture, walking and exploring, road trips, food, drinking and relaxing, beaches, outdoors, and have some interest in museums. Let me know what you think of our proposed itinerary, and if you have any suggestions. Thanks
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM

There are scores of old and not so old threads about London, Manchester, places for day trips from either, and UK in general, together with loads of itineraries.

Here's current London thread.....

London with kids 21, 18, and 9 -- how to please them all?

Just scroll down the lists of threads, you'll soon find plenty of others that should capture your attention.
Old May 29th, 2018, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hi nathanjame. There's no itinerary attached to or in your post, so it's a bit difficult to advise. What time of the year are you travelling and what split of time between the two cities?
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:36 AM

I recommend checking the Booking's website where you can search the best deals on hotel bookings.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:39 AM

Is there any reason why you have chosen Manchester? England is not known for its beaches but it's coastal towns along the southern coast of England are charming.
Old May 29th, 2018, 04:52 AM

I would ask the same as Nanabee.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:06 AM

<<<Is there any reason why you have chosen Manchester? England is not known for its beaches but it's coastal towns along the southern coast of England are charming.>>>

All within easy distance of Manchester...

https://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/nort...top-10-beaches

Plus Southport and Crosby, and along the North Wales coast.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:57 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Not quite sure why nanabee and StCirq question Manchester. It isn't a weird choice, there are LOTS of reasons to visit that area. However we don't know why you chose Manchester. Tell use why and what you want to see/do in the NW.

As for beaches - there are fabulous beaches in every corner of the UK -- it IS an island after all

You need to tell us a bit more -- time of year, where are you flying in to and out of if you've booked your flights already. If not, consider open jaw in to London and home from Manchester or vice versa.

For a road trip you could for example do a loop from Manchester that includes any of the Peak District, North Wales, the Lake District, Hadrian's Wall. To fit in all of those would require about 10 days but a 5 or 6 day road trip could include any two of the above.
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:46 AM

"We are interested in history and ruins, architecture, walking and exploring, road trips, food, drinking and relaxing, beaches, outdoors, and have some interest in museums. Let me know what you think of our proposed itinerary, and if you have any suggestions."

Cannot comment on "our proposed itinerary" without . . . actual proposed itinerary. Saying you're going to blow 15 days in Manchester and London isn't an itinerary.

And you can't swing a dead cat in England without hitting something historic. This is just a starter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blue_plaques
Old May 29th, 2018, 08:03 AM

>> Let me know what you think of our proposed itinerary, and if you have any suggestions. <<

I assumed you had clicked post before including your actual 'itinerary' but if you meant 'London + Manchester in 15 days' is an itinerary . . . nope.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:30 PM

If driving marshall car days between time in Manchester and London where cars are useless - a drive thru the Cotswolds would be a great way to drive way back to London. Or if going direct between them take the train - National Rail Enquiries - Official source for UK train times and timetables has all info and you can nab neat discounts by booking yourselves in advance. www.seat61.com has lots of great train info too.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:34 PM

If they are spending their time in London and Manchester -- the Cotswolds don't really fit. But until we hear back from the OP we don't know if that was meant literally or not.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:38 PM

Well OP talked about "road trips' - but yes more precise wishes are needed.
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:51 PM

I don't think Manchester is a "weird" choice, I just think, on a first trip to England, dividing time between just London and Manchester could be construed as "weird," unless the OP is visiting relatives or friends or has some strong other ties to Manchester, which would be just fine.

But the OP hasn't given us anything like an itinerary, so who knows?
Old May 29th, 2018, 12:55 PM

May a ManU fan? But yes unless something competling time better spent on first visit than Manchester, as nice as it was when I visited long ago. But more than a day...
Old May 30th, 2018, 01:29 AM

Pal, were you a GI based at Burtonwood? Manchester has changed an awful lot since the City Council started chopping up the city centre in the 70's and it's now one of the most vibrant cities in the UK. We deservedly have a reputation as the most foodie city in the country even including London and we still have lots of old buildings that are worth a visit. nanabee and St Cirq, when was the last time you were here?
Old May 30th, 2018, 05:42 AM

I was there last in May of last year.
Old May 30th, 2018, 07:41 AM

Well I was there in 2010 and thought Manchester was really neat - for a day - neat museums and just pleasant place - that said if it were my first visit to England I'd spend time in places like York or Bath - but yes Manchester even in 2010 was are spruced up - I went there mainly because of Coronation Street.
Old May 30th, 2018, 09:45 AM

Manchester deserves more than day, you just don't get into the place on a day trip. There's far more to see and do than one day will allow and you need at least 4 nights (3 full days) to fully appreciate the place. I know that it's not London and it's a lot smaller, but that is in its favour. The City Centre is very walkable and the things worth seeing aren't too far from from each other.

Things outside the centre worth seeing and doing are a short tram, bus or cab ride apart.

Last edited by Rubicund; May 30th, 2018 at 09:50 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2018, 04:13 AM

I am a long time user of booking.com. I have found no other site comparable to the advantages booking.com offer. I spend on average 2 months each year staying in hotels in England. There are no booking fee, no cancellation fee and no credit card fees. Their website allows selection of what I am seeking. You can get an instant Booking customer service support here.

Last edited by sophiajones; Jun 5th, 2018 at 04:19 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -