Search

First time Russia - advice?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Russia - advice?

Hi There,
I'm planning my first trip to Russia this summer. I'd like to take a river cruise from Moscow to St. Petersburg or the other way around. Any other type of tour is also a possibility. I'm not usually one to take tours (I'm a very independent traveler), but I think for my first trip to Russia, what with visas and all, it may be easier. My questions are these:
-I'm a solo woman traveler. What safety precautions should I take or what advice do you have?
-If I end up in Moscow, I'd like to go from Russia to Poland. How?
- Any companies you suggest for reliable, trustworthy river cruises or other tours?
-How well will non-meat eaters fare?
-How much English is spoken? How well are Americans recieved?
-Any general advice on traveling to Russia?
Thanks!
peri girl
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 01:17 AM

Hi! I made that river cruise in September 2003 and I loved it. It was one of the trips of my life! It's no problem with going solo on the cruise.
The cruise will take care of you all the time. Everywhere you stop you go on tours with guides who speak perfect english.
Ãt the boat they all speak english , except for the people who serve at the tables in the restaurant.
Most of the people in my ttrip were American and they were treated the same , very well a. I am European and we were 10% of the people on the boat. All others were American.
You will have no problems. Enjoy the trip, you will love it

Teresa
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I have never done the river cruise thing, but I can tell you it is getting much easier to be a veg in Russia than it was even 5 years ago. Lots of the soups and things are made meatless, and I've had pelmeni with mushrooms, veggie sandwiches... you name it!

My Russian friends used to think it was funny that someone would choose to not eat meat... now one of my closest friends is a semi-veg!

Americans are well received, but I
would still recommend learning a few polite phrases and the Cyrillic alphabet. When my sister and boyfriend came to visit, they found that very helpful.

How "much" English is spoken? Well, Russia (on the whole) is a highly educated society. Many people you will meet have studied English a bit, but that is like saying Americans speak good Spanish. You will meet people who speak beautiful English, and are generally impressed by attempts to speak their language. If you try a bit, you can usually get your point across.

I have NO idea about travel from Russia to Poland- I assume you mean at the end of your time in Russia, as most people have single-entry Russian visas. I would assume it is fairly simple though- trains run from Moscow and Piter every day! When you book your tour, check with the travel agent about that. I would imagine they can do this for you.

After this year, I would NOT recommend Russian National Group, as they botched our exchange trip this fall ROYALLY. For our next trip, I will probably contact Marc David Miller (who is a regular Fodorite) for our travel stuff. He works for Discovering Russia, and is quite knowledgable.

Hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any other questions- Russia is fabulous and I hope you have a great trip!

Katya

Old Jan 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM

My husband and I are also independent travelers who opted to book a Russian river cruise from St. Petersburg to Moscow last May due to our concerns regarding visa and language issues. Here are some observations from that trip...

First, tourist travel is still very controlled in Russia. All of the river cruise companies use the same boats which were manufactured in East Germany and stop at the same sites, so you're going to get very similiar accommodations and itineraries regardless of which company you go with.... Intrav, Viking, Uniworld, Elderhostel, National Geographic, etc. The greatest difference we found was in the price being charged for the trip. All of these companies offer programs with English speaking guides and crew members whose command of the language is commensurate with their job aboard ship. In short, communication will not be a problem for you on the cruise portion of your trip.

Second, we saw no English signage in the mass transit centers including airports, metro, and bus stations. Without any knowledge of the Russian language, you will have to ask for assistance.... something that <b>could</b> put you at great risk as a solo female traveler.

I would suggest contacting all of the above companies to determine which would be the most helpful in assisting you with a trip extension. You might also want to inquire about hiring private guides through these companies before booking your trip.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM

My wife and I went from St. P. to Moscow with Uniworld three years ago aboard the Tolstoi. Clean quarters, good food, well-planned and well-conducted shore excursions, comfortable ship, fine crew, and no problems with English or Russian languages either aboard or ashore. Felt completely safe while on our own in the major and minor centers. Loved riding the subway in both cities. The recommendation of learning the Cyrillic alphabet (really quite easy and much like Greek) is an excellent idea. Russians were hospitable, interested, loved to practice their smattering of English. We were never overcharged or shortchanged, never felt in the least intimidated, and came away with a whole new perspective on Russia and its people. You will be glad you went.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

thank you all so much! this is really helpful advice. i'm sure i'll have more questions as i continue to plan and book. i can learn the alphabet; that's a really good idea. i always make sure to learn how to say hello, please and thank you where ever i go, and i have a little dictionary (love to collect dictionaries,actually. maybe travel is just the excuse to do so). again, THANKS!

peri girl
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:53 PM

If you can afford it, flying between Moscow and Warsaw or Krakow would be best. It's 1300 km between these cities. We flew from Moscow to Warsaw on Lot airlines (www.lot.pl)
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 12:33 AM

P, the entertainement on the cruise is very helpful, you will have Russian language lessons, dance lessons, history lessons and you will even learn how to sing russian songs (Kalinka, etc.) but in Russian. I would not bother trying to learn their alphabet, even with lessons it's very very difficult and you will learn it on board.
I think the river cruise is very entertaining and very cultural, on board and on land. I really loved it.
Old Jan 8th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Peri- to each his own, but my 7th graders learn the alphabet and a bunch of necessary communicative phrases (roughly 40 phrases &amp; expressions)
in 3-4 weeks...

I recommend the Cyrillic alphabet because a LOT of Russian words (esp. city vocabulary) are cognates- restaurant, cafe, bank, metro,etc...

Also if you plan to use the metro, it is very practical.

Old Jan 8th, 2006, 08:39 AM

If you take a river cruise, Grand Circle Tours provides vegetarian alternatives for lunch and dinner--breakfast is a buffet.
Old Jan 10th, 2006, 08:49 AM

I am going solo, too. I have looked at everything out ther, I think!! St. Petersburg is most important to me. I will go from Moscow to St. Petersburg. I am leaning towards either Viking or Amadeus. Both Smithsonian and Natl. Geographic use the Viking Kirov ship, for whatever that is worth to you.

I have been in touch with a great private guide for St. Petersburg. She cam highly recommended. She has a website..we have e-mailed one another and I will have private tours daily, at very good prices. I want the outlying area palaces etc. It should work out great.
Joan
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

hi everyone,
thanks for all the wonderful advice and suggestions. i booked thru american express travel services, a uniworld cruise. the price seems reasonable. do you know of any companies that you've used that you like that were resaonably priced? i have to get my own visa and arrange for transportation in and out, but that's ok. i can do that. i am interested in a guide for a few days in moscow and or st. petersburg, and i'd love to see a ballet. any suggestions as to how to do any of this or a good, reilable guide? i can't wait to go! thanks!
peri
Old Jan 12th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Here is a highly recommended guide service for St. Pete.
http://www.tourservice.sp.ru/
I have e-mailed her several times.
I think I have checked out everything out there for Russia..I have FINALLY found just what I am looking for
www.mircorp.com
I'm looking at the Imperial Splendors of Saint Petersburg..some othr good ones too....
Joan
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 02:44 AM

<b>Hey gj...thank you so much for sharing the Mircorp site!</b> This company appears to offer some amazing tours and although they do not list a day to day itinerary on their website, it would seem as though their Volga River cruise with the National Orchestra provides alternative stops from those included on the traditional Russian river cruise. I have been thinking about taking a trip on Trans-Siberian RR at some point in time and this site may provide a way for me to do that!

Good luck with your travels in Russia and <b>please</b> post a trip report when you return!
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

hey,
i'm checking out mircorp. so far, they look pretty good.
thanks,
peri
Old Jan 28th, 2006, 12:29 PM

We are also planning a trip to Russia in September and were interested in using AER World Tours, but we would like to know if anyone has used this company before. They specialize in independent tours with transportation and hotels prebooked for clients.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM

Make sure your VISA dates are a little longer than the time you plan to spend in Russia. For instance, if the airline goes on strike when you are leaving and you are delayed in Russia a few days, you don't want them to say you have an expired VISA.

I wouldn't take the train from Moscow to Poland because you need to have a VISA for each former state of the Soviet Union you go through and they can be expensive.

When I was in Russia, I started in Moscow, took the night train to St. Petersburg, took a bus from St. Petersburg to Tallinn, Estonia, and took the ferry over to Helsinki. The bus from St. Petersburg to Tallinn was only $10.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:21 AM

The most gorgeous city is St. Petersburg, much more interesting than Moscow. I would try to spend most of my time there if I was visiting Russia.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM

Wally -- Did you take a Eurolines bus? How comfortable was it? Do the seats recline at all? Did you go daytime or overnight?
Old Apr 22nd, 2006, 11:06 AM

I took the Eurolines bus from St P to Tallinn - comfortable I suppose, but the journey is quite long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -