First-time Portugal traveller

Feb 26th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

First-time Portugal traveller

I was just wondering if anyone has some good ideas for things to do/see in Portugal for a mid-20's couple? We will be staying in a condo on the beach about 1 and 1/2 hours North of Lisbon. We will have access to a vehicle as well. Our interests are to see/do basically anything that we can - wine/port tasting, hiking, nature walks, architecture, shopping. We would like to spend a day in Lisbon and do some touring around, maybe go to the aquarium or zoo, but will also like to experience the culture in the smaller towns that are near where we will be staying. Is public transport user friendly? I also heard there was a bird sanctuary somewhere around us, anyone have any knowledge of this? Thank you for any responses.

R.
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:55 AM
LJ

Perhaps if you indicated the specific name of the town north of Lisbon, it will help those who might have input about public transport in the area?

But, yes, Lisbon is definitely worth a visit...I would even suggest overnight so you can go out to dinner (Sua Excellensia?) and go and see some fado, the wonderful musical offering of Portugal, deep and soulful.

We stayed in the Hotel Avenida Palace, next to the train station, very central...you don't need a car in Lisbon, as it is walkable. That hotel was the hangout for spies during WWII (when portugal was neutral)and has an amazing glamourous/spooky feel, mahoghany elevators and a really neat bar.
Feb 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

We are staying Paredes praia de Vitoria.
Feb 26th, 2009, 01:15 PM

Hi Rthomson; Your exact location would help. But these place will be somewhat near the condo. Tomar, Cambria and Obidos might be a good start. Google each one for web sites, but also click 'images' to view the towns/city. In addition, give us a time frame for your visit. iris1745/dick
Feb 26th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Thomson....add Nazare'/Sitio to the suggestions Iris gave you above. The sea views from cliff-top Sitio are striking..there is a funicular that takes you from Nazare' to it's suburb Sitio. Please let us know the location of your condo and we can be more specific. One thing I DO know...you will love Portugal!

stu T.
Feb 27th, 2009, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. We are staying in Portugal for 7 full days. The location of the condo is in Paredes praia de Vitoria. Thanks again everyone. Those suggestions sound great.

R.
Feb 27th, 2009, 07:03 AM

thomson:

You will be staying in the voconity that both Iris and I have commented on....Obidos, Nazare/Sitio, Albocaca, Leira, etc.....you'll be within easy driving distance of this wonderful area...your stretch of beach is one of the central coast's most beautiful...enjoy. BTW when in Sitio drinking in the smashing views, I can highly recmmend a little restaurant across the square from the cathedral...local clientele, authentic, "tipico" food, fish grilled (calanmari superb, outside grill....embarrassingly inexpensive...wine, beer, etc. name: Casa Pires.

Here's pic:
http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...26895106357938

stu t.
Feb 27th, 2009, 07:06 AM

p.s....wanna see some Portugal pix taken last spring, just click on "view all" above the pic...will give you a good feel for Obidos and Nazare/Sitio and the general area where you'll be staying...have fun!

stu t.