Search

First time Italy trip itinerary help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2023, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time Italy trip itinerary help

Hi all

We are trying to make a stop in Italy this summer on our way to India. We have two girls- ages 12 and 8. Thinking we will have 7 nights total. We would just like to hit the highlights for a first time.
Rome is a must for us, but we are trying to decide if we should make Venice a stop or spend the rest of the time in Amalfi.

Also, are 2.5 days enough to do the highlights in Rome?

Thanks in advance !
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 10:06 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Will any of the 2.5 days you plan for Rome be jet lagged days?You can see some of it, but more time would be better. With children, I definitely would include Venice over the Amalfi Coast.
However, 7 nights in Rome would not be too much.
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Only you can decide whether you'd rather spend the balance of time in Venice or in the Amalfi Coast area. Would you have to get to Rome for your flight to India, or could you arrive in or depart from Venice or Naples? In other words, to avoid any backtracking, could you fly into one city and out of another? The travel time between Rome and Venice is a bit longer than to, say, Positano. Depending on your budget and the type of accommodation you want or need, you may be a little late in finding your lodging in Positano.

If it was my trip, I'd spend the entire time in Rome and make some day trips by public transportation... Orvieto, Florence, Tivoli/Hadrian's Villa, Ostia Antica or Pompeii. Or take an organized day tour into southern Tuscany or Castelli Romani.

You may not be bothered by an Italian summer's high temperatures and humidity, but I find these factors impact how much sightseeing I'm able and willing to do in the middle of the day. So, for me, 2.5 days in Rome probably wouldn't be enough time for what I consider the highlights.
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Italy is to be on your way to India, where are you coming from to Italy?
Old Feb 19th, 2023, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

We are coming from Boston
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 04:28 AM

I’d do 4 days in Rome and 3 in Venice. However if the girls are into art, then I would take a day away from each city and add the 2 days to Florence
Old Feb 20th, 2023, 04:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You have effectively two reasonable options, One is to spend the week in Rome, with a few daytrips. The other is to fly into Venice, tour there for a few days, then train to Rome, losing one day to travel and hotel changes. The Rome only option would be the most effective, in my opinion.
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 08:53 AM

3 months in Stresa on Lake Maggiore.

Would like to take the train into Switzerland. Can this be done from Stresa or need to go back to Milan? Where in Switzerland should we head to? Is this a day trip or an overnight? If overnight suggestions please. 4 adults in there 60s.
Sorry, I meant to start a new thread.

Last edited by cathyliles2938; Mar 3rd, 2023 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Oops did not start a new thread
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 09:02 AM

You may want to start a thread of your own to get answers to your query. Many travelers consult this site for transportation questions. Maybe give it a try? Good luck and safe travels!
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 11:12 AM

Rick Steves has a "Rome in One Day" itinerary. I can relate, because I was once with relatives in Florence, and we "did" Rome as a daytrip, and it was great. Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Vatican - - the distances are small. It can be done. Don't just listen to the "you need five and 1/2 months for Rome, at minimum, and then you are 'just scratching the surface'" bottom dwellers:

https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/italy/rome-itinerary
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 11:37 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cathyliles2938
Would like to take the train into Switzerland. Can this be done from Stresa or need to go back to Milan? Where in Switzerland should we head to? Is this a day trip or an overnight? If overnight suggestions please. 4 adults in there 60s.
Sorry, I meant to start a new thread.
Originally Posted by nylilly
You may want to start a thread of your own to get answers to your query. Many travelers consult this site for transportation questions. Maybe give it a try? Good luck and safe travels!

Welcome to Fodors cathyliles. Yes -- definitely follow nylilly's advice and start a thread of your own. You have entirely different questions and issues than the topic of this thread.
Old Mar 3rd, 2023, 12:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I would pick Rome and Venice. There is nothing like Venice, one of our favorite places.