First shot at Italy itinerary for first time visitor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'd love to get some feedback on my draft itinerary. I will fly from Austin to Venice, then home from Rome. March 29-April 11, 2010.
Venice - 3 nights. I can stay at Gritti Palace or Westin Europa & Regina on points. Suggestions on which to choose?
Rent car and drive to Siena, or take train and rent car once we get there.
Siena - 4 nights. Not sure on hotels here. Need somewhere convenient to getting out of town, and with parking if possible. Plan to see Siena itself, then drive around Tuscany on day trips. Maybe Florence day trip, or maybe just do Florence another time.
Orvieto - 1 night. Drop the car and train to Rome.
Rome - 4 nights. Navona Garden Suites.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

I meant 2011!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:39 AM

Looks perfect to me.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 10:46 AM

Looks good. One word of caution is driving in Florence, people always seem to come back and receive a ticket in the mail. If you do a daytrip either take the bus in or be extra careful driving in the city as you can't drive in the historic core with a rental car.

Car rentals are generally cheaper if you pick them up and drop them in the same location. I don't know if training to Orvieto to pick the car up on the way to Siena is out of the way but it would probably be cheaper.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:04 AM

<<Car rentals are generally cheaper if you pick them up and drop them in the same location.>>

Not true. You rarely get charged extra for anything other than dropping the car off in a COUNTRY different from the one where you picked it up. Within the same country - no extra charge.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM

Sounds like a lovely trip!
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM

We stayed at the Navona Garden Suites in Rome a few years back. We really liked the feel of 'living' in an old building and the location was perfect.

Not sure of your budget but we stayed at the Palazzo Ravizza in Siena http://www.palazzoravizza.com/ on another trip; they do have parking.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 01:20 PM

Nice trip !
Also in Siena look at the Santa Caterina---right at the Porta Romana gate into town and on the highway south to the best of Tuscany---you must request parking.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM

Friends of ours stayed at the westin in Venice and absolutely loved it. If we had the number of points needed, we'd stay there too, no question.

I would train to Siena, then deal with a rental car, but tha's me. i would much rather let someone else do the driving, so that I can enjoy the scenery

Sounds like a faulous trip!
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 03:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
siena centre is not car friendly so you need to think that through a bit. If the hotel has a parking place grab it. Otherwise looks good
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 04:21 AM
RJD

Got more lost driving in Siena in May than ever before. May be an age thing. Suggest renting a GPS unit.
I was charged extra for picking up the car in Florence and dropping off at Rome airport. Rented from Auto Europe.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 04:41 AM

This sounds wonderful. I also suggest you train to Siena and rented a car there. We stayed on the perimeter of Siena in a lovely hotel in 2006 that has (or at least had) a free parking lot. http://www.villascacciapensieri.it/ The bus stops outside the hotel and is just a few minutes from Siena center. You may read my trip report and see photos at http://travelswithdiane.homestead.co...13tuscany.html

We rented a Hertz car thru AAA and got a pretty good deal. Check the hours of the Hertz office as it was closed on Sundays and after noon on Saturdays when we were in Siena.

From Siena we continued to Pienza for several nights, and then spent one night at the Locanda Rosati in Orvieto, an agriturismo. http://www.locandarosati.it/ We took half board there and thoroughly enjoyed it and wished we could have stayed more than one night. From there we drove to Rome airport where we turned in the car.

I stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina in Venice seven or eight years ago. I used additional points for an upgraded room and it was certainly palatial. Wonderful hotel and great location. I even used some points for their buffet breakfast; I remember it was terribly expensive and not extensive.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 05:36 AM

I stayed at the Westin Europa and Regina this past July 2010. It is an amazing hotel in an amazing location, but yet tucked away from all the tourists. They upgraded us to the Tiempolo apartments which were AMAZING! (overlooking the grand canal)

Don't stay at the Gritti Palace - it has a very "dark" feel to it and needs renovating.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 07:23 AM

Another vote for the Locanda Rosati outside Orvieto, we spent 3 nights there with the half-board, dinners around a large table with all the guests were amazing, BUT if you only have one night for Orvieto, maybe staying up in the town would be better.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. Westin Europa and Regine is the plan now for Venice! I need to research the car rental, and will probably pick up the car in Siena. Need to figure out train from Venice to Siena.

I'd like to stay in Orvieto two nights, but would have to steal a night from either Siena or Rome. Would that be advisable?

Luvtoravel, did you use points to get a room originally, and then more points for an upgrade? I don't see how to do that on the starwood site.

I will check out the Siena hotel recommendations. I know I won't stay in city center with the car. I found this place in Siena that has apartments. I thought it'd be nice to have a kitchenette for those days. Anyone ever stay here? http://www.borgogrondaie.com/
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:29 AM

Sformby - don't use your points to upgrade. I have found that Starwood members are treated VERY good at Westin properties. I have never used my points for an upgrade. They have always given me one. Now, that doesn't guarantee anything, but in the last 5 years, Starwood has been so good to me and have just ugraded me. ( I am just a regular Starwood Preferred Plus member too...not even a Gold or Platinum member)
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Luvtotravel, you are correct, the Hertz office closes at 12:30 on Saturday and isn't open on Sunday. Don't think I'd be able to get there in time from Venice that Saturday. Hmmmm.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 09:08 AM

Actually we have stayed at the Borgo Grondaie, at the other end of the trip where we started with the Palazzo Ravizza. We did not have one of the apartments with kitchen, but we thought that the Borgo was really lovely, the grounds exceptionally so and the parking was easy. It is just outside Siena proper, so not hard to get into the city.
Old Sep 24th, 2010, 12:04 PM

I did stay at the Europa and Regina on points. I don't remember how I upgraded, but I doubt it was when I made the reservation. I think I called Starwood after making the reservation.

I upgraded once before using points at the Sheraton in Bangkok. I think it was 1,000 extra per night and got us on the concierge level with free laundry every day and full buffet breakfast daily for two people. Well worth it. I guess it depends on the hotel and if you want to take a chance on being upgraded without using extra points. I'm sure it would be more than 1,000 points per day to upgrade in Venice. I did not upgrade at the Sheraton in Paris and was given a lovely room. At the Frankfurt airport Sheraton they gave us a huge room with three beds (we were three people) without extra points.

Yes, Starwood takes care of their members and treats them as valued customers. Upon arrival in Venice management sent a bottle of champagne to our room. In Paris we received a tray with Parisian macaroons. My experience using Marriott points has been completely different where I've been given the crummiest rooms and treated as the poor relative, and I've used over a million points so far with Marriott.
Old Sep 25th, 2010, 04:29 AM

I agree that Starwood knows how to treat their members, far better IMO and IME than Marriott, Hilton (the worst) and Hyatt.

I horde my points and use them for these sorts of splurge stays.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -