First Time Italy Trip in February!

Old Dec 20th, 2017, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Italy Trip in February!

Hello All!

I'm planning a trip for my parents and myself to Rome. This will be our first time in Europe, and my first time planning a vacation just for them. We will be landing in Rome (Leonardo da Vinci Airport) on 2/7/2018. Here is the tentative itinerary, I would GREATLY appreciate it if any experienced travelers or locals could provide input or suggestions:

7-Feb Arrive @ Rome 1 Rome
8-Feb Rome Day 2 Rome
9-Feb Rome Day 3 Rome
10-Feb Rome Day 4 Rome
11-Feb Rome -> Florence Florence
12-Feb Florence Day 1 Florence
13-Feb Venice Day 1 Florence
14-Feb Florence Day 2 Florence
15-Feb Florence Day 3 Florence
16-Feb Florence Day 4 Viareggio
17-Feb Viareggio Day 1 Viareggio
18-Feb Viareggio Day 2 Viareggio
19-Feb Viareggio Rome
20-Feb Leave Rome FCO

So far I'm planning on taking the train from Rome to Florence, Day trip from Florence to Venice, Then go from Florence to Viareggio, then Viareggio back to Rome in one go.

My biggest concerns are weather and comfort for my parents. I understand that it's going to be cold anywhere in Italy in February, but I'd like to make sure my parents are as comfortable as possible. I'm sure we'll find things to do wherever we end up. Any specific suggestions on particular places or events to visit would be highly appreciated! I planned specifically so we could at least get to see some parts of Carnevale in Venice and Viareggio.

Thanks in advance yall, really appreciate everyone's support on these forums, i've learned so much!
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Ops, sorry yall, here is what the itinerary is supposed to look like:

DATE ARRIVE SPEND DAY AT SPEND NIGHT IN
7-Feb Rome Rome Day 1 Rome
8-Feb Rome Day 2 Rome
9-Feb Rome Day 3 Rome
10-Feb Rome Day 4 Rome
11-Feb Flornc Florence Day Florence
12-Feb Florence Day 1 Florence
13-Feb Venice Venice Day 1 Florence
14-Feb Florence Day 2 Florence
15-Feb Florence Day 3 Florence
16-Feb Viareg. Viareggio Viareggio
17-Feb Viareggio Day 1 Viareggio
18-Feb Viareggio Day 2 Viareggio
19-Feb Rome Rome Rome
20-Feb Leave Rome FCO
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:19 AM

Observations

Venice is a long day trip, at least 2 hours each way by train from Florence, so 4 hours traveling when the hours of sunlight are limited.

There is so much of historical interest in Rome ... I'd increase your time there.

Why five nights in Florence?

Why three nights in Viareggio, a seaside resort, in February?

Why not...

7FEB-5NT — Rome

12FEB-2NT — Venice

14FEB-3NT — Florence

17FEB-2NT — Viareggio

19FEB-1NT — Rome
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:29 AM

Viareggio: February 17th is fine for the masqued parade and the big firework.
But what do you intend to do there the other days?

Venice: in the case you plan to go to Venice for the visit of the town (and not for carnival), February 13th might not be the best day, as everything will be crowded because of carnival activities.
Book your train back to Florence (Venice dp 19.25, I suppose) long in advance, as it may sell out early because of the end of carnival.
If you reaslly want to enjoy your visit of Venice, stay there 2 or 3 days, at least 1 of them after carnival.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The historical centre of Rome is a tight area of pedestrian and tight roads (scare the bejezuz out of me) if you are mainly walking and using public transport (my recommendation) make sure parents are up to the walking and have sensible shoes etc. Good umbrellas too.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions. I will re-work this itinerary and try to add more time in Rome, more time in Venice, less time in Viareggio and Florence.

The reason for the days in Venice and Viareggio is because of Carnevale, but since my parents may not enjoy too over-crowded areas, I may have to reconsider this as well.

Thank you travelhorizons, neckervd, and bilboburgler!
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:23 AM

First time in Europe? Is it too late to change to a better time of year? Sorry, but IMHO, that is just about the worst time to visit Italy. Too cold to sit out and and enjoy Italian cafes, parks, etc. days too short for sunny walks, etc. Carnivals might be crowded, but at least fun and unique.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:39 AM
Original Poster

Yeaa I know, but unfortunately that just the time that we were all able to coordinate a trip. I feel confident that we will be fine in Rome. I've actually been updating the plan and this is more what it will look like now:

7FEB-5NT — Rome

12FEB-4NT — (Train to) Venice

16FEB-3NT — (Fly to) Nice

19FEB-1NT — Rome

does that seem more feasible?
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

or i could do...

7FEB-5NT — Rome

12FEB-4NT — (Train to) Venice

16FEB-3NT — (Train to) Florence

18FEB-2NT — (Train to) Rome
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:49 AM

I liked the Viareggio plan better--at least you had the carnival in mind! I understand putting more time in the cities, but I don't get inserting the flight to Nice--which could get dashed by inclement weather.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 10:04 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you want to sit out you'll find the posher places have rugs and space-heaters (that is they heat the whole planet as heating space is a bit of a waste of time)

Florence is nice, has a good garden three or four great buildings, a world standard art gallery a pretty bridge and a slight proness to flooding along the Arno (not a main issue most of the time. I've been in Feb and it was fine. While the actual ancient city was biggish the main sites tourists want to see is pretty small, but the more you walk the more you find. Look on both sides of the river and remember that the smaller shops do not open all the time, so what looks like a steel shutter in the morning can become a fantastic cave of delights in the late afternoon.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Hmm...Well, the reason for inserting Nice is that there is also Carneval there, and my mom might appreciate visiting at least a small part of France. But I hear your concern regarding the weather...

Thanks again bilbo, good to know about Florence. It sounds like visiting there would be a nice and relaxed stroll throughout the city as opposed to being around large crowds in Nice during Carnevale.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 11:13 AM

I've been to Carnevale in Venice. It's true that St.Mark's Square was unbearably crowded (although we bore it for about an hour). It wasn't difficult, though, to get off the beaten trail, where there were little neighborhood celebrations and uncrowded streets with people in costume.

I think the celebrations in Viareggio is more concentrated in one area, and even though it's not as big as Carnevale in Venice, it may be harder to get away from the crowds and still see the fun. In Viareggio, there is a big parade, which is where most of the action and crowds are. In Venice, the party is very spread out.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 01:44 PM

Yeh slice some days of Florence and put into Venice. Going by train means you can score deep discounted train tickets at www.trenitalia.com or italotreno.com - two competing rail companies using same tracks and similar trains and stations but latter can be cheaper on short notice I think. But book your own tickets online - with the caveat that such tickets are non-changeable from a specific train and non-refundable (I think)- but you can save a lot by doing that. Walk-up tickets usually readily available but at whole lot more. Check www.seat61.com for lots of sage advice on booking your own discounted tickets; for general info like 1st v 2nd cl also www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com.

I was lucky to be in Venice one day with Carnevale is full swing and it was great - that day city was not so crowded - at least not like summer swarms.
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 09:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have been to Venice during Carnevale (accidentally--just poor planning on my part), and it wasn't too bad crowds-wise. And as bvlenci notes, it isn't too terribly difficult to get out of the throngs and "off the beaten trail, where there were little neighborhood celebrations and uncrowded streets with people in costume."

I was with my mom and an aunt on the Venetian Carnevale trip, a first time in Venice for both, and they both enjoyed it.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 03:32 AM

I've never been to Carnivale in Viareggio but if you decide to go, make sure that wherever you stay has good heating if your family doesn't like cold. Viareggio is a classic Italian summer beach town. The buidings are built to stay cool and breezy. I doubt many places invest much in good heating, since it is only a few weeks every year when anybody would want to turn on heat. But February includes those weeks!

It is not difficult to visit Viareggio from nearby towns where hotels are more likely to be have good cold weather protection. Lucca might be a nice choice, and is very serene. There a lovely places in the center of Pisa, which is quite a beautiful Renaissance town away from the touristy parts near the Leaning Tower (and in February there aren't many tourists near the Tower either, and it is beautiful at night)
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 06:42 AM

My friends stay in Viareggio a lot in winter and never said anything about too cold rooms. But get a proper hotel.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

bvlenci , PalenQ, Leely2, and massimop thank you so much for your input. I think because it sounds like Venice will not be too crowded, and Viareggio seems a little out of the way after some consideration, I've updated my plan to look more like this:

7FEB-2NT — Fly into Rome, Take train into Florence

9FEB-4NT — Venice

13FEB-7NT — Rome

This is maybe less complicated and will give my parents more of a break so they can slowly enjoy Rome without feeling rushed?

Special thanks again the PalenQ for advice on trains, I will definitely take a look at that.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 11:04 AM

With 9 nights in Rome why not spend 2-3 in Florence, right on the way and a wonderful city and not very crowded in February.

9 nights seems a long time for Rome for most folks. Agree Viareggio though nice seaside resort ain't that great in light of where else you could spend that time.
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 02:20 PM

In Rome consider taking some easy day trips like to nearby Ostia Antica just a short train ride away - to many rivals Pompeii -ruins of classical Rome's ancient port:

https://www.google.com/search?q=osti...w=1920&bih=949

Or to Tivoli to see the lovely water fountains of Villa d'Este, another fairly short bus ride:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vill...w=1920&bih=949

Easy to team the Villa d'Este with nearby Hadrian's Villa, same bus and again stellar Roman ruins:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hadr...w=1920&bih=949

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -