First time in Southern Italy solo

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This momma is going solo at the end of November. I will be flying to Rome and intersted in seeing Positano and rest of Amalfi Coast. My flight leaves FCO at 6:30AM! I would like to see Rome and Positano....any ideas on how to divide my time? Any hotel recommendations in Rome and in Positano? Preferably 4star....
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Ooops! I forgot to mention that I am arriving on 24Nov and departing at 6:30 AM 29Nov. Would help to know how many days of holiday I'll be taking, wouldn't it?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:44 AM

Congratulations on your upcoming trip! Rome should be awesome. Positano & the Amalfi Coast probably won't be. If you check the archives, and even some current posts, you'll find ALMOST unanimity in advising people to skip the Amalfi Coast from approx. Nov. - May, maybe April, though iffy. You're planning a Nov. 24 trip, and that isn't a good time for that area. Are you open to alternatives? Or, do you want to press on and just deal with what you find?

As for Rome hotels, it will greatly help people here make suggestions if you give a budget range for how much you want to spend per night.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

Eliztrav,

I think you're right about skipping Positano and Amalfi Coast. My budget per night is no more than 140 euros/night. I definitely do not want to be near the Termini. Anywhere west of Termini is fine for me. Thanks for saving me $$$ on a car hire though.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:05 AM

Wise choice!

As for Rome, the Hotel Parlamento has had good reviews here and is in your price range. You might also check romeby.com and find a few that interest you. Then come back here and ask specifically about them. Hopefully, someone who has recent experience with your choices will fill you in. Also check tripadvisor.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:22 AM

Why skip the almafi coast at that time (just curious)
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:29 AM

It can be rainy, foggy, cold, and many tourist facilities, restaurants, even hotels are closed. Often, this off season time is used for refurbishment & repairs. Public transportation runs less often, if at all. Though, the lack of traffic can be a GOOD thing, as Martha would say!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:31 AM

seule, I'd also look at the Hotel (or Albergo) Teatro di Pompeo and the Residenza Farnese in Rome. Since you will be looking for a single room in November, they should fall in your budget range. Happy hunting!
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 08:35 AM

Just a note if you are looking at this one....The Residenza Farnese is near Campo dei Fiori. Sometimes when you search for it you find the HOTEL Farnese in the Prati district which is more upscale and in a more remote suburb.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 04:01 AM

Look at the hotel Aberdeen which is about 4 blocks from the termini,but faces The Ministry of Defense so it is a very safe area. It would be perfect for a solo traveler and in your price range. The people at the desk are very helpful. It is within walking distance of the main areas except the The Vatican. It is so easy and not expensive to get a taxi, although there is good transpo within the area .
Check it on Trip Advisor.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 12:43 PM

I've stayed at the Aberdeen and agree it is a nice, secure feeling, family run operation. We never felt unsafe. The staff was quite helpful.
Old Oct 22nd, 2005, 03:11 PM

seule, I would skip the amalfi coast and spend your 4 days in Rome.
Hotel Parlamento is an excellent place for the moneys..I stayed there quite few times, the location is Super,is not a fancy place,but is very safe especially if you travel by yourself..
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 01:43 PM

just got back from same trip--stay at hotel locarno in rome--hard to get a booking though--stay 3 solid days in rome and then train to naples, cab to positano and stay at La Fenice--tell them Ruth and Edward Abrahams from Philly sent you . . . the hosts, Angela and Costantino are wonderful, as is the B and B. you will love it. its the best place in Positano. and be sure to spend a day with Salvatore and Gloria on their boat cruising along the coast to Amalfi--tickets avail and info on the dock in positano (the booth with the brown miniature poodle . . .)
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Although the Amalfi Coast/Postiano area is beautiful, going in late November won't do it justice. I was there one year in early November and things were already starting to slow down.

If you only have 4 days, definitely spend them all in Rome and the surrounding area - there are many places outside the walls to explore such as Hadrian's Villa and Tivoli.

As far as hotels, I used to live in the Hotel Tiziano on Corso Vittorio Emmanuel II - it is right in the center of the city with views of the Pantheon and walking distance to literally all the major sites. Not sure what the rate is but they are negotiable, you can always tell them you were referred by a Saint Mary's student, that can get you a deal.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:34 PM

You can call the musium's and make a reservation for a tour.It will give you a chance to meet other people (esp. Americans) & you do not have to wait in line. You will get more done that way. Have fun!!
Oh, bring walking shoes.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 01:37 PM

I would not worry too much about the hotel. My husband and I don't hardly remember our hotel. You will hopefully be out touring all day and at dinner at night.Any time of the year is a great time in Rome!!I wish I could trade you. I am suppose to go to Cancun in two weeks.Bad Luck Huh!