Search

First time in Rome- limo, shuttle, taxi or express train from airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Rome- limo, shuttle, taxi or express train from airport

Hello,

Could someone please suggest the best way for us to get from Leonardo Da Vinci airport to our hotel. I have read some of the reports but I'm wondering if due to our hotel's location, there would be some specific advice.

After reading some of the comments to a previous post where we asked if we should return our rental car (that we are picking up at the airport) back to Fiumicino or to the Termini in Rome (our hotel is nearby) the overwhelming answer was to take it back to the airport. Even though our hotel is 3 minutes from the Termini where there is a car rental drop off possibility (no extra charge for dropping off at different location.)

We are 2 adults with 2 large pulled suitcases plus small carry on luggage and maybe stuff that we would have bought during the first part of our trip in Amalfi (although we really don't plan to shop there).

Our hotel is the Hotel Diana (Has anyone ever stayed there?) It is supposedly a 3 minute walk from the Termini. I heard that the area could be a bit risky although the hotel is supposedly on the "nicer part"

I'm looking for both an economical, practical and comfortable and fastest (or time-effective) way into Rome (want to have my cake and eat it -- but we are on a long (5 weeks) trip so I have to watch the costs. We also like to use our VISA as much as possible (less cash to carry, more airplane points!)

What do you recommend -- 1) taking the Express Shuttle and walking the 3 minutes to hotel. (Walking is no problem - worried a bit about the area and walikng with the luggage).
2) taking the Express Shuttle and a taxi to the hotel
3) taking an airport shuttle
4) taking a private shuttle that is not an arm and a leg (if there is such a thing)

We unfortunately do not have as much time to spend in Rome as we probably should, but that's the way it is. So we would like to get into the city also as fast as possible notwithstanding the other criteria.

Thanks for your always good advice.

Cheers

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Don't drive in Rome. Check tripadvisor for info on hotel-see below. We used a fast reliable private service from the airport to our apartment near the Vatican for 55E for 4 persons www.airportconnection.it)
For 2 you could probley find a cheaper, but longer more public service.

( http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...0782.cink_html)
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 08:21 AM
ira

Hi S,

>We are 2 adults with 2 large pulled suitcases plus small carry on luggage ..<

Either reduce the amount of luggage or take a cab - about 55E.

Old Apr 30th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Me again, last month I was walking by the termini and after hearing so much about the area I was curious. It really isn't that bad at all. Seedy-ish types always hang around a train or bus station but there are also many tourists from ever country doing exactly the same thing, walking with luggage, as you would be.

I was looking for the Enjoy Rome tour office which is about a three minute walk from the station and I could have easily been dragging luggage feeling perfectly safe.

Usually when I arrive at termini I dash right into a cab so it was interesting to see that the area isn't that bad, and I was a woman walking by myself.

I would take the train and then casually walk to the hotel.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 09:21 AM

Last week, at the end of our Italian adventure, we returned our car to FCO and took a car service (limoservicerome) to our hotel in Trastevere. There were four of us, with a fair bit of luggage, since we were taking some of our daughter's luggage home with us (she was staying to backpack post-semester abroad).
It was easy and considering the luggage involved, not that expensive - maybe 60 E. but there were 4 of us - 2 would have been 45-50.
If you take the train from the airport, with heavy bags, you still have a long walk to the cab stands, or if your hotel is that close to Termini, you're pulling heavy bags over the cobblestones.
My advice, return the car to FCO, take a cab or car from the airport and enjoy your time in Rome. Oh, note that car services do not take VISA.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone.
Seaurchin that is a good comment which makes me feel better; yet socaltraveler has also an interesting viewpoint. I will check the shuttle web sites and see if someone takes VISA ans is reasonable otherwise we may walk it.

By the way Ira, we don't have 2 pulled luggages each -- we have one each plus a small carry-on as most overseas passengers do. -- so we cannot reduce luggage content.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 03:08 PM

I am almost positive that area is paved with curbs and sidewalks, like the corso. Someone else may verify this, but I dont remember walking on cobblestones in that area.

There were families and singles walking with their luggage. I have always avoided that area thinking I would get mugged. Seems like I was overreacting!
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:47 PM

Hi Swannee,
2 springs ago, we took the train from the Leonardo Da Vinci airport into the termini, where our hotel was located. It was perfectly ok. Good spot to be, as you can take all kinds of buses and "metro" to get to where you want to be.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again Seaurchin and Parfym.

I guess we'll decide during the trip. It's late now and I just wanted to say thank you.

cheers