Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Would you rent an apartment with NO REVIEWS?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am struggling with an apartment rental. I found an apartment I like within our budget but there are NO REVIEWS on the rental website, or SlowTrav. I cannot even email the owner/agency for questions. It asks you to book with credit deposit only.

Would you guys feel comfortable rent an apartment, putting down a deposit online, where you cannot find any reviews at all? This is the apartment
http://www.only-apartments.com/en/so...ASULMARE_9730/
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:21 AM

The no reviews part would be off-putting but not a deal breaker. Not being able to contact the owner/agency for questions is.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:24 AM

This is always a deal breaker for me and my internal rule is usually at least 3 reviews...
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:37 AM

Failing reviews of the particular apartment I'd read reviews of other apartments the agency handles and see if there are criticisms of things the agency should have known about. If the reviews are almost all positive it would lead me to believe the agency is doing their job, not just taking the money.

I know how hard it is to find accommodation you like on a budget and if I found a place I liked I'd try to use other clues to determine if an agency and the owners it represents are trustworthy. Lack of reviews could simply mean that the apartment is new on the site.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:39 AM

I have done so on three occasions in Germany and Switzerland with no regrets.
Many landlords/landladies are small family enterprises without the overhead to engage review agencies on the net.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with not being able to contact the owner (if they are directly involved) would be off-putting.

As to the QUALITY of the reviews..that's a whole other conversation. We recently rented a London flat and the owner of which routinely gets rave reviews...many of which are from people who were/are GUSHING with thanks for providing this and that's (and also making lots of money to pay for the place); the place LOOKED good so we rented it.

The place looked good when we arrived, too, but the refrigerator wasn't working WHEN WE GOT THERE and that was pointed out to us by the on-site "caretaker" and with that usual shrug about it won't be replaced until two days later.

This kinda put a dent in the "housekeeping" plans..no cold storage.

"Two days later" arrives and the new refrigerator is installed and, unfortunately, it doesn't QUITE fit in the under-the-counter space and because of that, you cannot now open the oven.

Was this sort of behavior reflected in ANY of the previous "Oh, aren't you just wonderful!" reviews? Obviously not so despite pictures, despite one hundred and three+ reviews there is always the possibility of a less-than-great experience.

TRUST your gut and just BE PREPARED to REMEDY your own situation by WRITING your own BRUTALLY HONEST review!
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh, and BTW..was there ANY offer whatsoever of a discount for having rented a flat in which we WANTED to cook and keep food cold and in which we couldn't DO that for the entire rental period?

Guess what the answer to that one is.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I have used agencies recommended by friends who have rented through them. I never have seen a review for any of the wonderful places we've rented from these agencies. All of our rentals have exceeded our expectations.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 06:55 AM

The deal breaker on this particular apt. wouldn't be the no reviews aspect, but rather that smokers are welcome but, of course, if you're a smoker that's a plus.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 07:23 AM

It’s a crap shoot, but the real question is: Why would you, when there are so many other options?
There are plenty of excellent apartment agencies, some of which come recommended here. So why fool around with the unknown?
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Niente
Can you help provide other Sorrento apartment agencies that service Sorrento within our budget (50-90 Euro/night off season) We have used SleepInItaly, but they don't have apartments for Sorrento
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 08:26 AM

This wasn't in Italy, but the concept is the same, sure, I've never rented an apt with reviews (I've rented 3 times in Paris). There aren't that many apts with reviews, actually, so you are limiting yourself to what -- places that edit and post the reviews they want, such as any owner site, or the few on slowtrav.com.

I rent based on the price and what I want, and the presentation and legal facts. I have only rented from French agencies with a physical address which have been in business many years and are registered with the city. Further, I could read their legal contracts and they had professional practices. I don't tend to want places that appeal to a lot of typical tourists that would have reviews or who would even rent from the places I did. But my concern is the agency, I judge the apt myself based on price, location and facilities.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 08:35 AM

We did rent an apartment with no reviews in Aix-en-Provence last summer. I could find no reviews for the apartment or for the rental agency. I was very nervous, but the apartment seemed to be the only one that met our needs. Fortunately we had no problems.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM

I rented an apartment in Rome that had no reviews and little information about the company either but by the time I made my decision to rent I had several email exchanges with the agency.

I look at how promptly and thoroughly they respond to my questions, make the payment for the rental simple and without additional expense to me and how they would handle a check out if I have to leave early in the morning.

We've rented apartments in France, Spain, Italy and the Netherlands and have not had any problems with the units or the agencies. Deborah
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM

No, I would not.

There's plenty of other options, just dig a bit deeper.

At best, you have a 50-50 chance that things will work out, but look at Dukey's experience and ask yourself if you really want to go through that kind of hassle while on a short vacation.
Old Nov 10th, 2011, 11:15 PM

Not worth the risk. 3 consistent reviews is my minimum unless it's come through a personal recommendation.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 02:34 AM

Have you seen this apartment, which received excellent reports in a recent trip report here? It is in Vico, which has easy access to both Sorrento and to Naples, Pompei, etc.

http://www.laloggetella.it/inglese/index.html

Dukey's experience is a real eye opener!

Here is my question: When you write reviews of places you've rented, do you write the truth (do you mention the negatives or do you feel bad about the implications of doing so for the owner??)
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 05:39 AM

ekscrunchy: Is your question to the OP only or to the rest of us?

Anyhow, here goes:

I always write the "truth" as i see it. Why would I write anything else? If the place conforms to other reviews, I'll say that. If not, I'll say that too and indicate where my experience was different. Sometimes on Tripadvisor I'll post pictures of the room. Mine is but a single review but I want it to be as accurate and as filled with "truthiness" as possible.

Sorry if this was a question addressed only to the OP.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 07:10 AM

I think the issue is that any private website will only post reviews it wants people to see, obviously. Dukey doesn't say where he read these reviews, but I presume that was the issue, negative reviews were censored/eliminated. I think that goes for websites like VRBO, I've heard conflicting things about that (as to whether they allow negative reviews or if they will remove one if the owner asks). Why would anybody trying to rent their apt. allow a negative review to be posted on their own website? Sometimes they might post one with mild criticism of some particular point just to appear legitimate. And sometimes reviews aren't even posted but an agency/owner will send you supposed reviews if you ask. Whether they are even real I would question, but I'm sure they won't send you negative ones.

I always write the truth or I wouldn't post a review. Now I did complain about one issue privately to an agency when they did a followup survey to me (this was one place I rented without a review, as I said, I've never rented from a place that even had reviews) on my satisfaction and complaints, and I raised one negative. I felt a little bad about doing it because I really liked the owner and he was very nice, and if I had really wanted to go to some trouble, I could have tried to contact and pursue this during my stay. But you know when you are on a vacation, time is valuable, so I just put up with it, but mentioned it so it could be fixed for the future.
Old Nov 11th, 2011, 07:17 AM

I have rented apartments without reviews in the past and have had only good expereinces. I make sure I have good, prompt communication with the owner/agency. I also wouldn't use any payment method like a wire transfer. I'd only prepay/deposit with a credit card (that I could dispute if anything went wrong), or pay cash upon arrival.

Sometime the apartment that best meets your needs is one without reviews. I'm personally not willing to compromise on price/location/amenities just due to lack of reviews.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -