First time in Italy

Search

First time in Italy

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2010, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time in Italy

In spite of having traveled a lot in 60 years, we have never been to Italy.
Going to Rome first 2 weeks in April, 2011.
We are told that we should see Venice and Florence as well as Rome.

Can we reasonably include these cities in the two weeks?

Answer to this and any other advice would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 02:45 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Yes, you can easily train between them. If you haven't booked tickets yet, fly into Milan or Venice and out of Rome to avoid backtracking and save time.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM

How have you enjoyed traveling in the past? Getting to feel like you live in a place, or maximizing the sightseeing? Rome is unlikely to bore you in two weeks, and it will be cheaper if you don't move around, but fast trains can get you to Florence in 90 minutes or Venice in a few hours (shorter if you leave from Florence).

How do you feel about religious art and museum going? It might affect whether you want to go to Florence at all, since if your appetite for it is limited, you might see enough in Rome.
Old Dec 29th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

I confess that I can only take so much religious art before my interest flags. I also find museums overwhelming in the sheer amounts of material they typically have on offer. And then my feet begin to hurt too. I am keenly interested in history, ancient and otherwise, so the historical artifacts, buildings, monuments would be more of what I am looking for. I also like to get the feeling of the place, hang out, eat, see artistic performances. My wife likes shopping, not to be sexist but she does.

I love exploring the country side but I don't know if that's possible on this trip.

Also I'm not sure what the weather in first 2 weeks of April will be like.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You can do Rome and day trips to Florence and Venice but it seems like a bit of a waste. I might try, Rome as the main stay, move to one of the others for the second half and then drop over for a day visit to the last. If it were me I'd go to Florence and then do day trips to Venice and Siena
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 02:17 AM

April in Italy can be unpredictable and sometimes coolish, so take layers, a raincoat and waterproof your shoes. At this time of year the Italians where I lived near Florence would all be in trench coats or short warm jackets, jeans and boots, having packed the furs away for winter!
You won't get to Venice on a day trip from Florence - it's about three hours each way.
Do a week in Rome taking in the main sights. For architecture and history try the pantheon, the forum, the colosseum and St Peters for starters and organise a tour to Ostia Antica. I recommend Context Tours (no, I am not on their payroll!) whose knowledge of and access to these places is exceptional. Then train it to Florence for three days, then train it to Venice for the remainder.
Make sure you reserve seats as well as train tickets when you travel and punch your tickets in the little yellow machines at the entry to the platform before you board or you'll face a huge fine.
Your wife will have NO problem shopping, anywhere and everywhere! Enjoy yourselves.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 02:50 AM

hacoah,

Given the way you describe yourself, it seems to me that while Rome and its sites of antiquity will surely hold your interest for a week, especially if you include Ostia Antica (I highly encourage it), a museum-rich city like Florence, whose main attraction is its religious art, is likely to be less rewarding to you than spending some time, say, in Orvieto or Arezzo, or perhaps even Cortona en route to Venice, for the ambience of much smaller historic towns which still have great monuments, histories and shopping. You can include easy day trips to sights of historic interest, like Chiusi. You should read up on these places and see if they appeal to you as a base for a few days. They are all easy to reach by train.

You should read up on Venice and think about how much time you want to spend there, if at all. Many people enjoy simply walking around the historic city, and you are likely to find there a great many musical performances (and even opera).

If you are willing to rent a car from Orvieto or Arezzo, it becomes much easier to explore the countryside. But even if you just base in one of these smallish towns, or Cortona, you can find ways to enjoy the nearby scenery.

I hear you about how museums can really make your feet sore and legs ache in a way that walking about the streets often doesn't. That said, be prepared for the fact that even if you never set foot in a museum, tromping through historic Rome, with its uneven old stones, is hard work for the muscles, and likewise the zillion small bridges of Venice, and moving about hilltowns. I encourage you to spend enough time Rome that you can take it slowly, with long lunches and plenty of breaks with your feet up, enjoying people watching in a piazza.
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:10 AM

Technically i am sure you can, but i went on a two centre holiday to Rome/Florence and by the time i got to Florence was not interested in the Art ( and i study Art History). I think you need to spread cultural activities so that you can appreciate another masterpiece
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 03:24 AM

Love Italia go a lot about yearly of late

www.weather2travel.com/climate-guides/italy

was there April past cool not chilly rare frontal rain.

There was some flooding around Cremona from heavy frontal rain

Everywhere else was nice weather in the 2 weeks I was there.

Think you would be fine to do Roma Florence Venice

Always just hop intercity trains from 5 euro per hour

or fast trains double that.

www.eurocheapo.com good city guides food budget lodging.

www.ostia-antica.org very special outside Rome

Get GREAT deals on 4-5 stars bidding www.priceline.com

Like recently won 5 star Hilton Molino Stuky Venezia $128/nt

www.booking.com discounts on upscale lodging

if you do not want to bid...

For me 7 days in Rome 2-3 Florence 4-5 Venezia

works great for first-timers...

Happy Joureny,
Old Dec 30th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Good feedback to get me started. I think I'll hit the library and look into some of the places suggested here.