Reload this Page >

First time in Europe

Search

First time in Europe

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Gary

First time in Europe

Have seen 40 of the 50 states. Did 14 days in Hawaii and did a 4 day hike into and out of the Grand Canyon last year. BUT, I don't have a clue about what I need to see or do, or if I need advanced reservations when my wife and I visit my son who is stationed in Bamberg. We will stay there (somewhere) for about 8 days. He will get a 4 day pass when we might be able travel a little. We are going in late June.<BR>Any helpful hints for my first trip abroad will be appreciated!!!<BR>

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Aubrey

Hi, that's great that you seen 40 states but I'm only 14 and I've seen 16 so I guess that's a good start. Anyway, I'm traveling to Europe this November and I don't know much either but I'll give you a good tip. MY mom and I are lighthouse fanactics and the lighthouses in Europe are full of history and beautiful things to see. Personally I'm going to Scotland, Britain, and Ireland and they have the most beautiful in the world. Do you know any other place that I might be able to see this November?

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Sheila

This is a useless answer to Gary; but Aubrey if you're coming to Britain in the autumn and you like lighthouses, get a copy of "The Lighthouse Stevensons" before you come

Old May 18th, 2002, 09:55 AM
Aubrey

Wow! that's exactly what I needed! You wouldn't happen to know if they have the lighthouse passport stamps? I'm not quite sure where your from Sheila but in the US, the united states lighthouse association have these passport that you can get stamped in at several lighthouses. Do they have something like that in the UK?

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:24 AM
Gary

Aubry,<BR>Hope you have a good trip. FYI Michigan has some wonderful light houses if you get to the midwest.Of cours both coasts do to.<BR>Anyone out there with information on Bamberg Germany? I'm still looking for tips.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:31 AM
Sheila

Aubrey, let's take this to your new thread. Gary, sorry, I know nothing about Bamberg, but you might do better to rephrase your question with Bamberg in the title?

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:37 AM
Aubrey

Thanks Gary, yes I can't wait I believe Michigan is next summer for me. It has the most lighthouses in the US I believe like 150 or something like that. I can't wait for Spilt Rock! And Sheila what do you mean new thread? lol

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:37 AM
wes fowler

Folks sure got off on a tangent, didn't they?<BR>I assume you're flying into and out of Frankfurt. I'd definitely make reservations for your first and last nights in Europe. Hunting for accommodations after encountering jetlag is not one of life's joys.<BR><BR>How do you plan to travel, car or train?<BR>With three people, car may be more economical than train and will afford you an opportunity to explore at your leisure rather than being dependent upon train schedules. Two cities in proximity to Bamberg that offer a great deal for the tourist are Wurzburg and Nurnberg. Just south of Wurzburg are any number of charming, walled medieval cities, some swarming with tourists (Rothenburg, for example), others relatively unknown.<BR><BR>Drop me an Email, with your interests and those of your travel companions, your intended mode of travel and I may be able to offer a suggestion or two. In the meantime, I'd suggest you visit a library or bookstore and look for the Michelin Green Guide to Germany which will give you some insights as to what to see and do.

Old May 18th, 2002, 10:53 AM
aunt grapes

Gary-check out Rick Steves' website, Europe Through the Back Door, for good info about travel in Germany. Also the German Tourist Board website is super.

Old May 21st, 2002, 06:14 AM
Cap

Gary,<BR><BR>Definitely make reservations for your overseas arrival and departure times. Jet lag will knock you sideways for about a day or so. <BR><BR>Otherwise, these towns usually have an easy-to-find tourist bureau next to the train station (Bahnhoff); they will help you find decent lodgings. Getting eurrail type passes (whatever variation works for you) saves a lot of trouble buying tickets and such. <BR><BR>The whole area is very scenic with hills and forests -- consider finding a forest to hike around in. Bamberg itself is nice to walk around in. Rothenburg is kinda like a little Gatlinburg, cute but touristy. Get a guidebook that looks good and let it determine your choices. <BR><BR>Many of the locals in the smaller towns don't speak english, but you will be able to manage with the people in the tourist industry (hotels and restuarants), especially if you learn a few words like please (bitte) and thank you (danke). They are used to seeing US military families in the area, and were very cordial when I was there (a few years ago). They won't laugh at your accent, they'll be glad you are trying. <BR><BR>I am not aware of any lighthouses in this part of Germany ;-)