First Time in Dublin

Search

First Time in Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time in Dublin

3 or 4 guys in their late 20's going to London and Dublin for a few days. I think we'll be in Dublin Friday 2/16/07 to Monday 2/19/07. We're not too much into traveling far while in Dublin. Are there any "must-see" attractions while we are there? Also, where is the best place to stay to enjoy the best that Dublin has to offer?
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:25 AM

I think staying near Grafton Street is a great location. I liked the Brewery tour but that tells you a lot about me. The Brazenhead pub is worth a stop. A bit touristy but really beautiful. Have fun.
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:30 AM

There is a hop on/hop off sightseeing bus that will give you a great introduction to Dublin and will introduce you to the main sights where to look for bullet holes in the statues on O'Connell Street!
Old Dec 10th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Oh, I envy you! Dublin is one of my favorite places. It's the original "party" town. There are great pubs everywhere. As for a hotel - that can be very spotty. After a few unpleasant stays I finally landed at the Four Seasons. This is really a great Four Seasons. Very comfortable, outstanding staff and great rooms. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in Dublin.
Old Dec 11th, 2006, 01:50 AM

The Four Seasons is nice, but is a bit of a distance to the city centre. It's easily accessible by bus or taxi, but sometimes if you're trying to get a taxi at 2am it can be difficult. I would choose to stay in the city centre itself - somewhere around St. Stephens Green/Grafton Street/Baggot Street would be ideal. What is your budget?
Old Dec 12th, 2006, 07:33 AM

I agree with Cailin, the Four Seasons is lovely, but rather expensive, then again it depends on your budget, I would base myself around St Stephens Green.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! My budget is not too tight in that I would rather pay a little more for a nicer place/location to stay. Convenience to a majority of pubs is a must since I don't plan on renting a car and driving with a few pints in me!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 12:32 AM

I recommend staying in the city centre also. Taxis can be extremely difficult to get after the pubs/clubs close so ideally you want somewhere within walking distance.

Try the Merrion (www.merrionhotel.com). It's got oodles of character, centrally located, with an abundance of pubs clubs nearby. Of course it has a heftier price tag attached but if price isn't an issue this is where I'd recommend.

Enjoy Dublin--it's a fun town.
Old Dec 21st, 2006, 08:59 AM
DEA

If you are not too roudy a bunch, stay at Browne's, 22 St. Stephens Green (www.brownesdublin.com). The location is absolutely perfect. The hopon/hopoff is across the street as are taxis, the aircoach to the airport is around the corner on Dawson, Grafton Street is a minute or so walk, Trinity College is at the end of Grafton, as is the Bank of Ireland, etc., walk to the Liffey and across to the Abbey and take the Luas to either Connolly Station or Heuston Station. Connect with www.railtours.ie for sightseeing (they have a location across from Connolly Station). Have fun. I just spent two weeks in Ireland and cannot wait to return.
Old Dec 28th, 2006, 06:45 AM

We went to Dublin in February of 2004 and did a musical pub crawl. We visited several pubs in Temple Bar with a couple of local musicians and they taught us a lot about Irish music. A really cool way to spend the evening. Here is a website; unfortunately it says 2005, but it might be worth a closer look to see if they are still doing it.

http://www.discoverdublin.ie/musicalpubcrawl.html