Reload this Page >

First time in Amsterdam/Netherlands looking for help/ideas

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 06:11 PM
Elvis

will be in amsterdam 4/27-5/5 2001. Need <BR>off the beaten path accomodations. ie <BR>houseboat, flat, or small hotel anything would be helpful. Is this a tough time to find lodging in amsterdam? Also interested in cool restaurants. Going to belgium for 1-2 days also. Also interested in any stories from your trip to netherlands/belgium thank you very much <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 07:56 PM
Vic

<BR>You will be there during tulip time <BR>whatever else you do be sure to see the Keukenhof botanical gardens. If you are into bike riding there are bike ways all over. You can take a 15 minute train to Haarlem, look around for a while then rent a bike and ride on down to Lisse where it is. You will pass tulip fields and a pretty suburb on the way. When I was there in 1996 there was a giant flower mosaic of Rembrandts Night Watch in the center of Lisse.

Old Mar 7th, 2001, 09:53 PM
Sjoerd

You will be in Amsterdam for the busiest time of the year. BOOK NOW! (I hope you can still find something) <BR>As said, it is the midst of the flower season, and April 30th is the Queen's Birthday celebrations with huge street parties and festivals all over the country. Also, the first week of May is May holiday for the schools.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 11:35 AM
Kara

Amsterdam is very, very crowded on Queens'day. If you want to have a bit of an impression about the festivities in Amsterdam on Queen'sday take a look at: <BR>http://community.webshots.com/album/9588799oxSQlzMfqF <BR>If you planned visiting it I wish you a great and sunny day.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 08:37 AM
Leo

Hi, forget about A'dam and spend your time in Maastricht.A'dam is like any other major city. Maastricht is close to the German and Belgium border, so you can visit 3 countries in a week.You won't be disappointed!!!! <BR>Look at my site at http://members.home.nl/lelici/ <BR> <BR>Think about it,it's worth the trip, Leo

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 08:54 AM
Chet

As everyone said,it will be very busy.My wife and I are going in August and we were there last year.I would also suggest booking early,or at least get a hotel for the first night and then when you get into Amsterdam,check at the tourist information centers and they can help you find more reasonable places to stay.There is one right in Centraal Station in Amesterdam.There are a lot of smaller hotels and B%B's in the area around Vondelpark. Good Luck and you will love it.The Red Light district is very interesting,even if you aren't buying and there is a lot to just walk around and see all over the city.The Route 20 trolley makes a circle of the city and brings you back to Centraal Station and the public transit is very reasonable.