Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First time abroad, traveling alone, college student: any tips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never travelled abroad, and am just completing my first year of college. I'm studying abroad in Barcelona for a month this summer but plan to travel elsewhere in Europe before and/or after the program in BCN. Do you think it's safe/reasonable for me to travel alone? I'm thinking about going to Portugal, Amsterdam, Italy, other cities in Spain, etc.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:25 PM

It's perfectly reasonable and safe, in my opinion, for you to travel alone. I went to Europe for the summer after my second year in college and had a great time. And, it was a life changing experience (changed my major in university, got a travel bug that remains to this day). You will meet other travelers at school, on trains, in youth hostels, etc., if you so desire; if you want company, it will be easy to find. But, enjoy the times and freedom when you are on your own, too.

Happy travels.

John H.
Old May 4th, 2003, 08:56 PM

I would totally agree that it's reasonable. I will be starting college in the fall and will spend a month in Dresden Germany this summer. It will be my second solo trip overseas but first completely alone for the whole thing. I would perhaps recommend waiting until after your program to tour other countries alone - you'll have a feel for Europe and probably other people around to help you some. But by all means go for it! Hey maybe we could meet in Paris? LOL!! (BTW are you from St. Paul - I live in WI)
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:05 PM
AR

More than safe! Just keep to the obvious ground rules. Your biggest threat will be pick-pockets in places such as Rome. Enjoy Europe. BTW, Barcelona is fantastic.
Old May 4th, 2003, 09:09 PM

Definitely travel as much as you can. when i studied in Spain i travelled every weekend, and saw most of the country, and most times went alone.

try www.chatarea.com/backpackers for tips. most of the posters there are budget-travellers and students and can give you some advice re hostels, transportation and solo travel.
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:15 AM
Bootman4U

I agree with all of the above. The only time I was pickpocketed was in Barcelona and that was the only time I wasn't using my moneybelt, too, so I blame it all on myself and not on Barcelona. Pickpockets can operate everywhere in some cities particularly where folks are crowded such as on the Barcelona Metro! Taking obvious precautions such as a moneybelt are reasonable and easy. I don't think you'll have any problems and hope you enjoy your travels.

Old May 5th, 2003, 05:21 AM

My college age and highschool age sons did Europe alone last summer. The only thing they learned is they had lots of company. It was very hard to get intot he better hostels with only 3 or 4 days advance notice. Go and enjoy.... but if you can plan some things in advance, it's best.
Old May 6th, 2003, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your tips..sounds like it will all work out...now I just have the dillema choosing to fly back from either Berlin or Munich... And dornro: yes, I'm from St. Paul! And I'm actually flying in to Paris. Maybe you can help with my German city dillema.?
Old May 6th, 2003, 07:00 PM
Bootman4U

My experience has been depending on the airline used you may find connections/flights back to the US a bit better from Munich than from Berlin.

Old May 6th, 2003, 07:19 PM
mjs

Universities in Europe often rent out their dorms between terms for decent prices. In my experience they tend to be much nicer than hostels and are a great way to meet other students from other countries. They also tend to have subsidized cafeteries for meals and often are well located. Traveling alone has a great advantage of making it easier to meet others, and perhaps with a youth train pass of some sort you can go with your whims. Enjoy the freedom of your time.
Old May 7th, 2003, 04:32 AM
ira

topping
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:00 AM

hello again - - so Berlin or Munich. I really like the Munich airport. It's easy to get around and if you're planning on taking trains in Germany (which I'm guessing you are) the train station goes right into the airport - very convenient). I've traveled through Germany (and other european countries) enough to know some things so feel free to e-mail me directly if you want to chat. [email protected] Plus I'd love to hear more about your trip!!!