First stop after landing in Milan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2009, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read that the airport is an hour from the center of Milan and, since we plan on visiting the Italian Lakes district anyway, would you advise we just train or bus there?
We arrive April 7. What's the weather like in Switzerland then? Do we need parkas to daytrip (we're not skiing)?
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 02:09 PM

I went straight from the airport to Varenna but I rented a car so can't help with public transportation.

My trip was in May and Switzerland was cold! The roads were clear but there was lots & lots of snow still on theground. You definitely will need to dress warmly.
Old Jan 14th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Switzerland has many diffferent micro-climates, and much depends on altitude. Having travelled extensively by train there in late April, I would advise that you think in terms of layers. I took slacks that I could wear a thin wool layer under and pull some track pants over when we were approaching a snowy area - but that was only at altitude. [My slacks were fairly thin and washable but if you have thicker ones you probably won't need three layers.] A light padded jacket over a layer or two on top was fine. Trains can be overheated so you need to be able to take a layer or two off. Conversely stations can be cold, but they usually have waiting rooms. The only time I felt uncomfortably cold was in Zermatt, when I went out at night without a hat.
Old Jan 15th, 2009, 12:49 AM

Hi Pati - The 'Ferrovie Nord' train (which requires a connection at Saronno Station) connects Malpensa Airport with the city of Como.

From Como you can connect by boat or local bus service to Bellagio, Menaggio and other points along Lake Como.

For timetables via Saronno see:
http://www.malpensaexpress.it/

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the website for the malpensa express. We will stay in either Como or Varenna. I see there are a variety of Como stops. Which one would be in the city of Como? Thanks for the advice. I had heard there was a bus but looks like it was discontinued.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM

The town of Como is not in the most scenic part of the lake. You would probably be happier in Varenna.

You don't say what your budget is, but you might look at the cost of having a taxi meet you at Malpensa and drive you to Menaggio, from where you can take a 10 minute ferry ride to Varenna. If you are flying transatlantic, you might appreciate the splurge at the beginning of your trip.

I would expect it to be cold and perhaps wet -- even a chance of snow -- on Lago di Como the first week of April.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:30 PM

It will be chilly that early. A private driver would be wonderful---the option is to train from Milano Centrale.
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 03:33 PM

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the OP, but I read the question to mean whether to train or bus to Milan? If so, take the train to Cadorna, which is walking distance from the Duomo, La Scala, and Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II.

(If "there" in the post refers to the Lake district instead of the center of Milan, just ignore my post).
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Looks like there isn't a bus from Malpensa airport to the Lakes, so will train. We're staying in Varenna but still thought Como was worth a look-see. No???
SNow, Rain....oh, my. I've heard that the Lakes region is temperate and with Palms. We're gone to Italy in April/May before and it was in the 70's in Rome, Florence, Liguria...........
Old Jan 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM

If you look at a map of Lago di Como you will see that it is shaped like the letter "Y". It is a the crotch of the Y that the lake is most scenic.

There are spots on some lakes (including Lugano) that have palm trees. But much of Lago di Como can get Alpine winds, or cold damp air.

Some years spring is quite warm in Italy. Other years, no.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks and I love the analogy of the crotch - ery visual.
Old Jan 18th, 2009, 04:59 PM

We have had snow at Lago Como in mid-April, but more typical weather will be lows of 38 and highs of 52.
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. Which website do you use for the weather?
Old Jan 19th, 2009, 12:03 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
A reliable driver from Como who can pick you up at Malpensa and take you to your hotel on Lake Como is Davide Guerrera www.davideguerrera.com
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all. We've never had a private driver but have taken the trains. We try to conserve our funds for other things (future trips, etc) and like to do things as close as possible to the locals. Am I missing something???
Old Jan 22nd, 2009, 03:23 PM

The reason the issue of the private driver keeps coming up is that you will need to take a one hour bus to Milano Centrale, and from there take the train to Varenna -- which I seem to recall is about 90 minutes.

Since most people assume you will be getting off a transatlantic flight, they figure that it will be about 3 to 4 hours before you get to hour hotel, and you'll be schlepping luggage, so maybe what you'd prefer is a car service.

But people also tend to forget that your hotel is not going to let you in your room until after noon anyway, so if you have the stamina for the bus/train trip, it is much, much cheaper!

As for the locals, they'd call a relative to get a ride!

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 05:23 PM

Zeppole
You seem to have a good knowledge of the lakes area. We are planning a trip in September. Flying into Milan and hoping to take a train/bus to Lake Maggorie and then a train back to Como, Bergamo and back to Milan before joining a Walking trip. Your advice on transport and cheap but clean and warm hotels/b& bs would be greately appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:55 PM

I live not far from Lake District, and here Spring is already coming! Rain (not snow) in April is possible, but generally is a beautiful and relatively warm and sunny season with flowering at its top.
P.S.: this morning someone coming from Liguria say that mimosas are all blossomed there...
Old Mar 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Raputin 1,
We are staying at Olivedo B&B, recommended by other Fodorites and Rick Steves. We are getting a double for 90 euros so hoping for the best. We've only been disapointed once with lodging and that was in Cinque Terre were people rent out
"cave-like" dwellings. Our apartment blew a fuse and we had no elect (no hot water for bath, no lights, etc) and couldn't contact the owner by phone. Of course, we had already paid.
Other than that, we are frugal but have always been impressed with italian lodging.