Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

first step in travel plans: airline tickets?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we have an intinerary (sorta'): mosel, rothenberg, munich, fussen, but can't book lodging until we know when we'll land. my question to you: when should i purchase plane tickets? i'm interested in cheap fares but if i wait too long all economy seats during early may be taken. suggestions?
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 03:28 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
<i>...if i wait too long all economy seats during early may be taken. suggestions?</i>

...Meaning &quot;seats during early <b>May</b> may be taken,&quot; or &quot;seats during early (some month and year) <i>might</i> be taken?&quot; Capital letters help.

If it's early May 2007, it will depend a little on where you're coming from. May is after the winter sales end, so there may be some lower prices listed on the airlines' websites in a month or so, but I doubt you'll see much lower prices than they are now (prices are seasonal, y'know.)

If you want to firm things up, book air tickets now and move on to finding lower cost accommodation, rental cars, etc. Your total savings by looking for bargains on the ground will quickly outweigh any savings you might give up by buying your air tickets now as opposed to later.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 04:13 PM

We make frequent checks with Kayak.com and FlyCheapAbroad.com. You might also try looking at flying into Munich, Frankfurt, even Amasterdam. We keep watching and the off-season fares have not come around this year. Where is your starting point? Do you have any hangups about any particular airlines?

Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:01 PM

Try www.airlineconsolidator.com
I went to one website the other week and booked tickets in July to Germany (open Jaw)via milan on Alitalia. $580 per person with taxes, So I think it is just finding the right site at the right time. May not be may favorite airline, but I can't pass it up at those prices.
Old Nov 10th, 2006, 05:19 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
mr_compass: Are you <u>sure</u> Alitalia will still flying in July? Not an entirely safe bet.

willis: besides the other suggestions, sign up for the e-mail fare watchers w/ Orbitz/Travelocity/Expedia. You plug in a target fare and they will notify you whenever that fare or lower pops up.