First (Short) Trip to Ireland - Need Help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(This is my first post on this site, so forgive me if this topic has been covered.)

I'm taking my 24 year old daughter on a five-day (4 night) trip at the end of this month to Ireland, starting and ending in Dublin. We've traveled quite a bit as a family (the four of us, father-daughter, mother-daughter, father-son, just husband-wife, you get the idea) ... over two dozen total European trips since 1987, so we know the drill, but this is our first trip to Ireland.

I have booked the first and last nights (www.georgianhotel.ie for the first, and www.graftonguesthouse.com for the last). Does anyone have any experience they might share about those two places? I would appreciate any input (positive or negative).

So between those two, we have a Saturday and Sunday plus the morning on Monday to explore. It would be great to get some suggestions on the best way to spend those 2 1/2 days including ideas for good B&Bs or small hotels.

Sorry for such a general question, but my daughter has received so many suggestions -- most of which involve fairly long distances across the island which I find unappealing -- that I'm having trouble coming up with a good plan. Our interests are architecture, art, photography and food. How original, I know.

Thanks in advance!

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:13 PM

Well, the only thing I can recommend (on that side of the island) is the Waterford Crystal factory. Don't miss it. You can tour the factory and watch the artisans at work cutting glass by hand, as well as watching the glassblowers at work. Of course, the gift shop is full of beautiful crystal pieces for you to take home. I think you're also close enough to do the Rock of Cashel. Hauntingly beautiful. When I closed my eyes there amidst the original chapel, I swear I felt monks walking by with lanterns. I got goosebumps. I tell you I felt the draft of their robes on my arms! Worth the trip. Have fun!!! It is one of the most unspoiled places you'll ever see. (Remember, it's a very small island and I think worth your time to make it to the West coast to see the Cliffs of Moher, Blarney Castle and Limerick.)
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much for replying. Waterford sound great, and I'll keep my options open about heading west. You're right, of course, that it's a small island, but I was spooked by stories I have heard about short drives lasting a long time because of trucks, etc., slowing down traffic. It's no fun to burn up precious hours on the road usually (unless the drive is amazing). Thanks again.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:13 PM

With only 2 1/2 days, I would devote one day to Dublin. Use the Hop On-Hop Off bus to see the highlights and get your bearings in the city. Use the other 1/2 day to go back to any place that struck your fancy.

Although I'm not a fan of organized tours, I think given your time limitations, it would be a good idea. With little time, I wouldn't waste time traveling far. You are correct that short distances can take a long time to cover in Ireland.

I would suggest a day trip to Newgrange or to the Wicklow area--Powerscourt Gardens and Glendolough. Make the choice based on your interests.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM

I like xxxx idea, take short organized trips from Dublin.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again to those who have replied. Still wondering if anyone has visited either the Georgian Hotel or the Grafton Guest House in Dublin. We can shift hotels if anyone has a tip that makes sense.