First Roman Holiday

Search

First Roman Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Roman Holiday

After returning from Costa Rica in Sept. my daughter and I found we had enough frequent flyer miles on US Air for Europe. Space available for Rome which was my first choice. We decided it would only be Rome as there is so much to see and do there and w we definitely found this to be true.
Jan. 13 Left Myrtle Beach, flew into Charlotte connecting with my daughter, on to Philadelphia, arriving in Rome 8:30am after leaving MB at 12:30am the day before.
Good flight.
Jan. 14
Met by Peter, from the limousine service suggested so many times on Fodors. A delightful young man, right on time to meet us sped us to our hotel, the Nazionale A very nice room(216 Euros) next to the Parliament building on a square without traffic. Had requested a quiet room was what we got. I can't say enough good things about the staff at this hotel-very helpful for first timers.
Had a short nap and then out to view our surroundings and find our restaurant for the night-the Myosotis. Found we had to wait awhile to be waited on, although not that many people in the restaurant. Ordered a small fish(24euros-a little shocked by this), but good with grilled vegetables. The bread with olives in it and the bread sticks were the best. Another surprise on my bill 10 euros to be seated.
Walked to the Pantheon Then San Luis del Francesi and the Santa Maddalena which were having Mass. I am not Catholic,but loved the churches and found the Mass inspiring just looking at all the beautiful art within the churches. Discovered Giolottis on our way back to the hotel. Gelato must be the "Food of the Gods". So delicious and so many flavors. It was a cold night for gelato,but I can imagine in the summer the tourist are continually eating gelato.
Jan. 15
By taxi(6euros) to Saint Peters. Nothing quite prepares one for this Grand Basicilia. We walked around,but while my daughter climbed to the dome I took a more in depth look of things in the basicilia going down stairs to Peter's Tomb. When my daughter returned I was ready to be the tour guide for her. What distressed her viewing from the top was the pollution she saw against the skyline of Rome.
Back to the hotel for a snack at lunch. We always carry snacks on our trips. When the hotel had a nice breakfast then we eat lightly usually at lunch.
After lunch we thought we were walking to the Spanish Steps,but found ourselves going in the opposite direction down to the Forum.
We walked around the Capitalini and the musuems,but decided we would walk back and find Trevi Fountain. We decided we would find the Spanish Steps and the Rampa Restaurant right near the Spanish steps. A good meal here of Spinach pasta and fried artichokes and zucchini which I had never eaten before. We already knew to wave the bread away when they bring it to the table.
Very reasonable and good food.
very busy night walking back to the hotel with people shopping for the sales. Went
in a shop or two.
January16- My Daughter's birthday.
I wanted her to choose the activities for the day,but once again she left it up to me as I did the research for the trip.
I like the churches so off by taxi to St. Cecilia in Travestre. After reading her story of how she endured 3 days after they tried to kill her and kept singing I knew I wanted to go to her church. Then over to Santa Maria where mass was going on.
Walked along the Tiber back through the market at Campo de Flori. We wanted to check out Hotel Minerva which is really a lovely one if you can afford it. We found the nicest young lady, the desk clerk, who we enjoyed chatting with. Interesting to hear a Roman's person life in the big city. She suggested we have dinner at Angelos for my daughter's birthday. Also stopped in Sopra Minerva- not hard to find when you see the elephant on the obelish out front. Back to the Pantheon again.
We saw a long line at the parliament building when we returned to our hotel. We were told once a month they have a free tour for people wanting to tour it. We went in and found it very interesting, although we were not understanding a word of the Italian tour.
The dinner at Angelos was not the best ww had while in Rome,although there are many pictures of movie stars and others who have
eaten there posted on the wall.
January 17
A trip to the Vatican Museum in the morning. We decided to do this on a different day than our first trip as it closed early on Sat. and not open on Sun.
It is fascinating to sit in the Sistine Chapel and figure out the Bible stories and characters. Everyone seemed to be going out that right door as posts on Fodors have suggested so one does not have to walk all the way around.
In the afternoon we moved over to the Aberdeen- a less expensive-93 euros,but a very clean, nice,small hotel near the train station.
It was nice to finally check our mail as they have free internet service which is a plus.
The staff is just as kind and helpful as at the Nazionale,but I am glad we stayed at the Nazionale at the beginning of our trip as it is so central to many sights.
Nice small pizza and take out place down the street from the Aberdeen so finally pizza in Rome tonight.
January 18
Over to the train station to get a ticket for the hop-on hop off bus. Thought it would be nice to see the different areas of the city. There is only one price now 13 euros whether you stay on or off.
On the way back stopped at Santa Susanna, Santa Maria degli Angelie de Martin, and Santa Maria della Vittorio.
Afternoon tour (Vastours) website Enjoy Rome.com to the Forum and St. Paul outside the Wall which I knew I wanted to see. Very impressive. The Forum is hard walking for those of us who have a knee problem,but our guide was very good. They were almost an hour late picking us up from our hotel,but we never understood why.
One of the best restaurants we found was with a few blocks of the Aberdeen-the Giovanni which is very reasonable with good food. Some of the best soup I have ever eaten plus a pork chop with roasted potatoes.-18 euros for both of us.
Jan.19 Had a reservation for the Borghese gallery before we left home. The other tours we made reservations once we arrived in Rome. This is not the busy tourist season. I can only imagine how it would be at the height of the season.
We took the English tour guide(5euros) which is worthwhile to understanding what one is seeing. Beautiful surroundings in a park where the gallery is located.
We begin walking to Piazza Popolo. Wrong direction again. Caught a taxi to go to Maria Popolo Church. We walked to Triton Trattoria for lunch which had been suggested to us. Had one of my favorites lasagna-very good.
Found a shop Saby's Bean which my daughter found the souvenirs she wanted to buy. Our question was where are the grocery stores here in Rome? You see the small shops like this one with food,but no big stores.
Jan. 20
We met several interesting people in the Aberdeen that we enjoyed. Part of travel is the people you meet.
More churches for me. A taxi to San Clemente. Then a walk to St. Peter in the Chains. While walking behind Nero's House there was a park people were walking their dogs. One young dog not very cooperative with its owner. One lady remarked, "This is the education of the dogs". Found that funny with all the dogs running around.
Our afternoon tour with Vastour again was to St. Mary Major, San Giovanni in Lateranos and out the Appian Way to San Callisto catacombs. So peaceful and seren to think of all the death here experienced in the Christian era.
Back to our favorite Giovannis for a last dinner. Several people in there we had met previously. A very good place for a meal. While we were waiting for Giovannis to open walked back down to Santa Vittoio and mass again. Don't think I have ever atteneded as many worship services in a week,but I found all worshipful.
Stopped for our last gelato. Oh! so delicious.
Jan. 21
Our same handsome limo drivers come promptly to pick us up at 8:20 for our flight at 11:15. My daughter remarked, "These Italian guys are easy on the eyes." The Aberdeen was near the Ministry of Defense so also those good looking solders strolling by. Did some more shopping in the airport.
So beautiful flying over those Alps with snow on them. Mostly Italians on this flight back to the US. Another good flight with good flight attendants. I certainly hope US Air will survive. Back home by 10:50pm-a long day. So happy we did not get caught in the snow in Philadelphia-another day perhaps. See Rome has had snow the last few days but our days were cool,crisp, sunny days. Rain only one night.
I have traveled to many of our large cities in the world, but I think Rome tops them all. I want to get back to see the rest of Italy. A wonderful trip!!

Jan 20
We s
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:53 AM

Maryanne, what a wonderful report! Good for you two in deciding to just stay in Rome and enjoy it. And obviously you did. Beautiful memories were made by you two for sure.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

I neglected to thank all you wonderful people who helped me plan this trip. I posted under, How would you spend 7 days in Rome?"
Thanks. Elaine, for your files. I can see you are always helpful as well as Bookchick. To everyone else thanks.
You are the best at giving suggestions.
We did use Rick Steves book, DK Book as suggested, Frommers, and several maps. Those street can be tricky. Will be happy to answer any questions.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

My English teacher, son, just corrected me. It was one limo driver came to pick us up. Hard to make it all correct.
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 10:37 AM

I would love to find out where your favorite restaurant THE GIOVANNI is from the Aberdeen? Our family has always loved the restaurant TARGET near the Aberdeen too. If you have an address or phone-I would be most grateful ((or even which way you went out from the Aberdeen?).
Old Jan 29th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

This is the street-Salandra. Go up the street from the Aberden crossover where Santa Susanna is on the left side pass it, on down past Santa Vittorio, on a left side street about 2 blocks past this church. Near Piazza Republica. If this doesn't give you the directions just ask at the Aberdeen desk. This was where it was suggested.
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Hi maryanne1.

I was so glad you wrote such a good and thorough report of your trip! I have copied it all and pasted it in my Rome folder. (We are going in May and October for a few days) I also cut and pasted your other post "7 days in Rome" so I have a lot of pages in that folder by now.
We are staying in an apartment over by the Forum and always looking for good (and reasonable) places to eat.
so were especially grateful for your suggestions.
We were also glad to hear that you had a good experience on US Air since this will be our first experience with them (in May/June) so you just spread a lot of light our way!
Carol / Brahmama
Old Jan 30th, 2005, 07:31 PM

Maryanne, I agree, Rome is awesome, so glad you had a great trip! Thanks for sharing the trip report.
Melissa