Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

"First Knight" fans - does anyone know where the...

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:14 PM
nickie

Does anyone know if the gorgeous ruins where Richard Gere saved Julia Ormond are actual ruins, and if so, where, or if they're studio? The film just credits "The United Kingdom" and doesn't advise further.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:44 PM
susan

First Knight was filmed on location at Trawsfynydd Lake, near Ffestiniog in north Wales. The village scene was built on the National trust's Ashridge Estate in Chilterns in Hertfordshire and Arthur and Guinever's wedding was filmed at St. Albans Cathedral. Other scenes were shot at Burnham Beeches and Black Park (both fairly close to the Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire.

If you want to know other movie locations in England let me know which films and I'll try to get the info for you.
[email protected]

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 07:49 PM
dmrDonna

Hi, Nickie: I have the laser disc in front of me, and I'm giving you all the locations, taken directly from the back side of the laser.: John Box was the production designer, and he spent five months building the film's sets at Pinewood Studios. The six story towers of Camelot were constructed on an open field in Pinewood's back lot. The studio's orchid area became Leonesse, home of the Lady Guinevere, complete with a castle, church, cottages, shops and cobbled streets.

Box also took advantage of the surrounding countryside. King Arthur's battle encampment was created on a field at Stratfield. A hill village was built on National Trust land. Arthur and Guinevere's marriage ceremony would be staged at the medieval St. Albans Cathedral built in 1077.

The film's only distant location site was North Wales. A non-operational nuclear power station at Trawsfynydd was transformed into the exterior of Camelot. A slate mine became the fortress lair of Arthur's enemy, Malagant.

Box said: "No more corny castles." He knew there were slate pits in Wales, so he decided to take Malagant underground into his own strange, cavernous world.

Let me know if you want to know more about the production of the movie: the back of the disc tells a lot more.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 11:43 PM
nickie

Thanks so much you two - you're really awesome! I didn't really think I'd get a reply, just hoping! I will certainly be going to that section of Wales. Do you know if the riding scenes were also in Wales?