Venice airport to Principe hotel..how?

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 06:54 PM
Patty

Venice airport to Principe hotel..how?

Does anyone know how you get to Principe hotel or even the train station (mestre) nearby by from the Venice airport? Thank you ..Patty

Old Jul 6th, 1999, 11:19 PM
ray seva

Hey Patty...I spent 3 nights at the Grand Principe last summer. It's a pretty nifty hotel...not too luxurious/stuffy...but very clean, spacious...and best of all, it has a killer location.
I don't know how to get to the hotel from the airport, but...
The hotel is literally about 2-blocks from the train station. We hopped off our train (from Munich) and simply walked to the hotel! It's also close to a Vaporetto/Gondola stop...and also right off a main street.
OK, the location might not be the most "romantic" (you probably have to spend a lot more, or go out to one of the outer islands). But for this first-time visit to Venice, the Grand Principe was perfect! If you've never been to Venice, I hope you come to enjoy it as much as I did.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:14 AM
Maggie

Patty,
My information is about five years old so hopefully someone will respond and confirm that it is still correct. We landed at the Venice airport and there were frequent buses which took us to the train station. The station is at the head of the Grand Canal and from there you take a vaporetto to your hotel's stop. Venice is magic ----have a wonderful time.

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 06:59 AM
Paulo

Although you could take a taxi or a bus from San Marco Airport to Piazzale Roma (faster), the "correct" way to approach Venice is from the sea. One should forget cars and stuff as soon as possible.
If you can afford a private taxi boat (about US 100) you may consider taking one. The trip should take some 35 minutes and it would leave you (and your luggage) at the hotel door, which is nice if you're heavy (if you use the option below, unless you hire a porter, you'll have to carry your luggage for about 400 mts).
Unless one is very heavy or in a big party, though, the best option is to take the Alilaguna boat. It leaves from a pier just outside the arrivals terminal and stops in Murano, Lido and San Marco, before getting to Piazzale Roma. The trip should take some 70 minutes. You'll spend Lit 17,000. If you intend to buy a 1, 3 or 7-day vaporetto pass to cover for transportation when in Venice, you may be able to spare a few Lire if you decide to quit the Alilaguna boat in Murano (Museo), buying your pass and taking the vaporetto from there. You would spare Lit 8,500. Most probably it won't be worth it because from Murano to the Ferrovia vaporetto stop there's a second change to be made in Fondamenta Nuove or in San Zaccaria, which is a nuisance if you're not packed very light.

Paulo

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 02:54 PM
elaine

Hi
Here are some web sites that may help
www.actv.it/inglese/preservizi.htm/ transportation in Venice
www.veniceairport.it/
www.veniceinfo.it/ includes info
on transportation

Old Jul 7th, 1999, 07:50 PM
Rod Hoots

As a frequent visitor to Venice, I advise you to take the bus from the airport to the train station in Venice (S. Lucia Stazione) and then walk to the Principe. It's the easiest and cheapest way.

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 09:58 AM
topper

!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 01:29 PM
mwg

There is a boat from the airport that makes several stops in Murano, Lido and Venice (near San Marco). It is much less costly than a private taxi - costs about $20. From San Marco, you can take a vaporetto up to the train station. Although it is not particularly quick, it is relatively cheap and does allow you to approach Venice by the preferred way - the sea!

Old Jul 8th, 1999, 11:30 PM
Bill Fleites

Hi Patty, please listen to Paulo and MWG. Take the water bus into Venice. It may take longer since it stops at Murano and Lido. But the view as you approach Venice into the Grand Canal will be a memory you will never forget. In order to get the best view make sure to stay up in the platform where the driver is, and on the right side of the boat so that you can clearly see the Dodge's Palace and the columns of San Marco and San Teodoro which lead to San Marco's Square and the basilica.

Old Jul 9th, 1999, 08:03 AM
Patty

Thank you,everybody, for the great advice.I know what to do now. Patty