FIRST EVER TRIP!! NEED HELP

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:07 AM
Tripp

FIRST EVER TRIP!! NEED HELP

I was born in Italy 30 years ago, while dad in military. Never been back or to Europe period. I have always wanted to see my birthplace, (vicenza). My wife is expecting our first child, so we are taking a two week get away and desperately need help?? Where to fly into, how much to try and see, etc. Thinking of flying into Nice, and creating a two week circle of sorts. Help!!!!!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 08:50 AM
Carey

You are so lucky to be born in such an interesting place. Palladio is a god to me, so I made a homage to Vicenza 5 years ago. I didn't get to see all of Palladio's famous villa, but just walking around the town was pleasure enough. If you are going to fly into Nice, drive up the coast (or take the train) and just explore! It is an easy drive to Venice (I have done it twice). My fiance loved Verona! It is a great town, just like Vicenza. Have a fabulous trip!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 09:28 AM
j

Oohh, also go to Udine--see the Palazo Te and the Palazzo Ducale. Absolutely loved it!

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:16 PM
s

Tripp:
Just one suggestion: instead of traveling in a circle from Nice, get an open jaws airline ticket. Fly into Nice and out of Milan or Venice -- more time relaxing and less backtracking.

s

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 12:36 PM
Dori

Definitely agree with S. I've done this on other trips (and on an Italy trip in NOV) and it works out to be a timesaver.

Don't know if you'd want to consider this, but you can go from Nice to the islands of Sardinia or Corsica and then on to mainland Italy via ferry. It would be an overnight ferry to the island than about 4 hours, depending on where in Italy you go. You can view info at www.corsicaferries.com

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 04:18 PM
Bob

I was stationed in Germany 30 years ago. Your father and I had great jobs during Viet Nam!

We did a 2 week Italian trip last year with another couple. Flew into Milan, picked up car and drove to Venice with stops along the way. Two nights Venice. Not really enough, but we had been there before. Then down to Siena for 1 week in a villa. Very affordable. Used that as a base to explore Tuscany each day. Small trips in various directions and then back to our villa. No packing and unpacking, checking in and checking out hassles.

After Siena drove to Portovenere with stops at Pisa and Lucca along the way. Two nights there to explore the Cinque Terre. Then last 3 nights up in Bellagio with stops on way to Bellagio to explore the marble area. Interesting, but that marble stuff is heavy to carry home!

Last night spent in Bellagio and then early morning drive back into Milan for trip home. Two weeks total and very enjoyable. We never felt pushed or had to spend too much time in a car. Great trip.

Do not get into the trap on your first trip of trying to see too much or do too much. Cut the area down and enjoy what you are there to see. Europe is not going anywhere. We see too many people that spend too much time on busses or cars and never really stay or see much of anything. When they get home they cannot tell you where they went. Slow down and enjoy the place when you are there. It is not a race to see it all. Have fun! Great wine!

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 04:05 AM
topper