first europe trip, revised

Dec 5th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

first europe trip, revised

hello and thanks to everyone who replied to my previous post. Since I recently talked to a college friend who is a native of Slovakia, we're planning to take a trip together next May.

The tentative plan is to fly to Budapest, around May 16 or slightly after. From Budapest we will take a train directly to Bratislava, and I will spend 1-2 days here. She will spend a little time sightseeing with me on the first day, and then she will be visiting with family till our departure.

In the meantime, she suggests that I go to Prague for 2-3 days, and then back to Budapest for duration of trip. (We only have a maximum of 8 maybe 9 days for the trip, with 1st and last days being travel days)We will meet in Budapest and fly home together.

Although I'm sure Prague is a lovely city, I'm not sure I want to visit there. Would it be possible to bypass Prague, and hit Vienna instead, since I would like to visit the Melk Abbey? Or is Vienna too far and/or expensive? I'd be mainly considering the travel time from Bratislava to Vienna, amd Vienna to Budapest, and cost of budget accomodations for both places. Thanks, this messageboard is great! Greg
Dec 5th, 2007, 10:04 AM

Bratislava is practically a suburb of Vienna. Its airport has often been marketed as "Vienna (Bratislava)" by the less honest lowcost airlines.

From Budapest, Braislava's about a two hour drive. 30-60 mins from Bratislava to Vienna, depending where you're starting and finishing.
Dec 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM

flanner has it Bratislava is the town on the hill on the Border of Austria/ Hungary and Slovakia.

Prague is a lvely city but is gets packed out. Bratislava is a bit dull but with friends it will be special
Dec 5th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. So this is what I'm looking at so far:
Day 1, overnight flight
Day 2, arrive in Budapest, train to Bratislava. Rest a bit, get settled.
Day 3, sightsee around Bratislava.
Day 4, early train to Vienna, get settled and walk around a little, start to explore.
Day 5, try to hit museums and any other major sights, I'm most interested in.
Day 6, side trip to Melk Abbey, spend afternoon at Vienna, hopefully find a nice cafe to relax at.
Day 7, hopefully I can get early train to Budapest, start to explore right away. I'll need to find out which sights I def want to hit.
Day 8, head to Budapest airport for morning flight home.

*I know I'm doing Budapest an injustice, and I really want to have more time to see the city. What would you change about my itinerary, if it were your trip? At least one day in Bratislava is a must, and Melk Abbey is pretty important to me. Thanks, Greg
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM
ira

HI Greg,

Considering your restraints, I think that you have a good plan.

Dec 6th, 2007, 04:06 AM
ira

OOPs,

Constraints, not restraints.
Dec 6th, 2007, 04:42 AM

While you are in Bratislava, make sure you visit Castle Devin. It is a few miles outside the city but there is a good bus service. The castle is on a hill overlooking the Danube, and occupied an important defensive position. For 55 years, it was on the border between the west and the communist countries, and it is sobering to realise that the current peaceful location was once something of such political importance.