First Draft Itinerary: Amalfi Coast and Malta, May 24

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11th, 2023, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a request for general advice on our travel choices/itinerary for this trip, given there are many options involved--but welcome specific advice as well!

I've been to the Amalfi Coast (AC) twice before; my husband has not. Next year, we have the opportunity to stay with a friend who will have a villa in Massa Lubrense in May while she's doing work in the area...and we're taking it! We're planning to split two weeks between the AC and Malta, a destination that's been on our list for quite some time.

Here is our broad itinerary and general plans; as always, I'm appreciative of any suggestions, opinions or tips at this point before diving into the details. I'll share specific questions in bold below in the itinerary.

April 30-May 1 - Travel from Minneapolis to Naples
  • Circumvesuviana or Campania Express or ferry from Naples to Sorrento (depending on flight arrival time in Naples). Rent car in Sorrento. Drive to villa in Massa Lubrense.
    • Anyone have experience driving in this area (i.e., not directly on the coast, which I know is not desirable. The drive from Sorrento to Massa Lubrense looks straightforward but maps can be deceiving...)
May 1-7 Stay in Massa Lubrense, explore AC
  • Been to Capri, Ischia, Amalfi, Ravello, Maiori, Sorrento, Vietri, Pozzouli, Positano, Paestum, Pompeii
  • Looking at Sant'Agata, Marina del Cantone, Crapolla Fjord and Nerona.
    • Other suggested destinations from Massa Lubrense?
    • Any Massa Lubrense tips?
May 8 - Travel from Italy to Malta
  • Ferry or train from Sorrento to Naples. Flight on RyanAir from Naples to Malta International Airport
    • So far, this looks like the most logical route. But:
    • I wonder if there is a ferry to Malta from the Sorrentine peninsula. I can't find anything online, which tells me 'no,' but maybe you know differently?
May 8-14 Explore Malta
  • Continuing to research
    • That's 6.5 days on Malta. Too much? Too little?
    • Should we go to all three islands?
May 15 - Travel from Malta to Naples
  • Fly direct from Malta to Naples, or ferry or flight to Sorrento then ferry or train to Naples
  • Stay over in Naples
May 16 - Travel Naples to Minneapolis
  • early flight on via CDG

Thanks in advance for any insights.