Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First dinner in Paris(ever!) Reservations needed!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:04 PM
Hungry in California

I want to start off our first night (a Friday) with a "typical/delicious" moderate prix fixe bistro/Brasserie/Cafe. All arrondisements considered - we love to explore! Suggestions most appreciated!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
kate

Try L'Epi Dupin 11 rue Dupin -on the Left Bank.Make reservations right away,as they book weeks in advance..but it is casual and great atmosphere and really good food.
Le Booknistesquai des Grandes-Augustines Left bank
Allard 41 rue St Andres des Artes Left bank
Thomieuz rue St Dominique
Le Petit Maguery in the 13th
That's all I can think of right now Have a wonderful time, you are going to love it!!!Kate

Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:19 PM
Topping

Help this hungry person!!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:47 AM
Monica

Here are some of my favorites (from my web site http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html:

AUX GOURMETS DES ARTS
15, rue Git-le-Coeur
Off rue St. Andre des Arts, Paris.
Delicious pate with toast; beef (cooked rare) in a cream sauce and fried. Lemon sorbet for dessert. House red wine. This is another restaurant that I enjoyed last year with my Mom. $27.

L'EPI DUPIN
11, rue Dupin, 75006 Paris
Phone: 01 42 22 64 56
This is near the metro Severes Babylone, then a 1 block walk to rue Dupin. We met friends of mine for dinner and this is my second favorite restaurant in Paris. Judy and I had a delicious calamari appetizer, which had roasted red peppers, onions, and sauteed in a sweet sauce. Next we had a shreaded veal sausage in the shape of a burger and pasta with a cream sauce. For dessert, I had their cholocate cake with pistachios and chocolate sauce. Definitely for the chocolate lovers. My friends bought the wine. Total for Judy and me $48.

CREMERIE RESTAURANT POLIDOR
41, rue Monsieur-Le-Prince
75006 Paris
Phone: 01 43 26 95 34
I had their delicious homemade pate with bread; a tender pork dish in a curry sauce and rice; lemon tart for dessert and their local red wine. $38. This is a lively place filled with locals. Great home style meals and very good prices.

CHEZ MAITRE PAUL
12, rue Monsieur-Le-Prince
Phone: 01 43 54 74 59
This restaurant is around the corner from our hotel (Grand Hotel des Balcons). Make sure you have reservations for this place. I enjoyed their puff pastry filled with juliened vegetables and shrimp with a lobster sauce; baked chicken and mushrooms in a cream and cheese sauce; wild rice; and creme brulee for dessert. $51.

LE BISTROT DE BRETEUIL
3, Place de Breteuil, Paris
Phone: 01-45-67-07-27
This was my favorite restaurant in Paris again! We met some friends for dinner on 17 October 2000 and had a great dinner. Like last year, we started with a Kir. I had their delicious escargot, followed by their rack lamb with scalloped potatoes. For dessert, I had their creme brulee. Delicious! We also had white wine with our meal. This was an excellent meal at an excellent price.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:50 AM
Randy

I had a couple of great meals at La Table D'Aligre and the price was reasonable, 120F. Open for lunch and open again for dinner about 7:30 in the evening.

La Table D'Aligre
11, Place D'Aligre
75012 Paris
Tel: 01 43 07 84 88
Metro: Ledru Rolin

Last year I had a nice lunch at Auberge de la Reine Blanche on Ile Saint-Louis. The lunch was 109F and the dinner menue was a higher price.

Auberge de la Reine Blanche
30, rue Saint-Louis en l'Ile
75004 Paris
Tel: 01 46 33 07 87
Metro: Hotel de Ville
www.aubergedelareineblanche.com

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:56 AM
pj

We loved Allards but are favorite is A L' ardoise 38 rue jacob 01 42 96 32 93 simply the best!!! Another cute place Le Petit Zinc 11 rue Saint Benoit +33[o]1 42 86 61 00 www.petitzinc.com PJ

Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:59 AM
elaine

My old favorite restaurant is Chez Julien, in the 4th, corner of 1 rue Pont Louis Philippe and 62 rue de l’Hotel de Ville.. Telephone 42-78-31-64. Closed Sundays. Last time it was approximately the equivalent of $45 per person including a glass of wine each. You can spend less if you order the fixed-price menu. It is simple but
pretty, with very good food. Not very dressy, but not jeans. The restaurant had a short appearance in the film “The Accidental Tourist” when William Hurt was briefly shown dining there.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:16 AM
Jim P

Try the three course, prix fixe, all souffle meal at Le Souffle, on Mont Thabor, just a short walk from the Concorde metro. You will have jet lag anyway so you might as well live it up! Plus you will be in one of the most beautiful areas for an evening stroll( Place Vendome and Place Concorde).

Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:23 AM
lisa

I will second Monica's excellent recommendations of Le Bistrot de Breteuil, Chez Maitre Paul, and L'Epi Dupin. Also very much enjoyed Chantairelle which is in the 5th near the Pantheon. All of these places have prix fixe menus and you can eat well at them for under $30 per person including the house wine. Chantairelle has a website where you can see the menu and reserve online: www.chantairelle.com