First day in Paris, need some opinions

Old May 31st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First day in Paris, need some opinions

The first day in Paris I am hoping I have not waited too late for reservations to some of these places. I was just reaching for phone and thought perhaps I need fodorites advice. We arrive June 12th. The first trip for our DD and DGD so I would like for them to have a nice walk but not too far for the first day.....We are staying in the Louve area...are these good candidates - Restaurant Pasco, Chez Rene, Le Petite Troquet, L'Ami Jean, Bofingers and what is near your choice that we could do prior to dinner. Are some of these better suited for lunch. They will be starved by the time they reach us at the hotel so any advice for nice lunch in area of Rue Rivoli in 1st would be helpful.....thank you.
Old May 31st, 2008, 03:35 AM

Maybe I need another coffee, but your question isn't at all clear to me.

Will you already be in Paris? What time of day will they arrive (overnight flight?). Are you wanting advice on where to have dinner...or lunch?

DD and DGD. Are they adults?

Old May 31st, 2008, 04:01 AM

Jelane,
I just realized that was your thread about "meeting up at CDG"! So, daughter and granddaughter arrive at 9:45am (I presume an overnight flight). IIRC, you're coming to Paris from the UK.

Personally, I prefer not to reserve restaurants for the first day, keeping it flexible. I know a big sit-down lunch would send me straight to bed!

This may not be what you're looking for at all. If it were me---and the weather is fine---I would wander down Rue Rivoli and pick up sandwiches for a picnic in the gardens at the Tuilleries. Then a long walk.

As for dinner, I suppose you could make a reservation. But let their body clocks determine whether to cancel. They might prefer a light snack and early to bed. There's just no way to know.

Old May 31st, 2008, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

oh my gosh it is that darn coffee again....yes sorry I was not clear and I am not in the US right now so I do not have the excuse for morning...I am either giving too much information or not enough. I poured over publications on Paris and some different websites this afternoon, I wrote the hotel Brighton and they have gotten us reservations at L'Ami Jean for dinner the first evening of arrival, I am hoping that they are so excited that it will give them some energy. The next evening the four of us (I am a bit worried about this for me) have segway night tour planned, Saturday evenings we have reservations at Willie's. The rest of the time I think I am going to wing it...Often times too many reservations can pin you down too much. Thanks for you help. I think I am just going to relax now. This trip is for my granddaughter's graduation and my daughter's 40th. So I suppose getting it right is a priority. Thanks Jeanne, I think I will have a coffee even this late in the day.
Old May 31st, 2008, 07:34 AM

Sounds like fun! For that first afternoon, you're not far from my favorite walk. I love strolling through the Isles with the river on all sides. And, of course, a stop for Berthillon ice cream right across the bridge on Isle St Louis!

While in the neighborhood you might stop and buy future tickets for the Vedettes de Pont Neuf twilight river tour. [There's a coupon on their website.] It would be a lovely way for DGD to see the sparkling Eiffel Tower for the first time. But don't plan it for your first night...they might fall asleep.