Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

First Class Trenitalia Italy Train Question

May 31st, 2008, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Hello all,

This is my first time posting at this site, I hope someone can help. I will be going to Italy for the first time in a couple of weeks. I have read a lot of the advice on this website but there is one thing I cannot seem to find, so I hope you can bear with me if this seems to be an obvious question/answer.

I am going to be taking a morning train from Venice to Rome one day of my trip, and the train from Rome to Naples another day. I have heard if you book first class there is more room to keep your luggage under your seat and that it is not much more expensive than 2nd class, so I want to do this because I don't think I will be able to lift my luggage above my head. My question is (forgive me if this is obvious), when you are waiting at the train station, how do you know which car to get on. In other words how do you know that you have gotten on the first class train car?

Also I am wondering what the train station is like in terms of how far in advance I would have to get there to purchase my ticket. I was going to purchase it online in advance but I have read on here that people had problems with the trenitalia website, in fact it is confusing to me as well, so I'm wondering what the experts think.

Thank you for your help.
May 31st, 2008, 10:23 AM

Well I probably woldn;t wait until the trip to buy the tickets, but get them when I arrived in the city. There's usually room day of on trains - esp in First Class - but not a guarantee. Typically the cars have a 1 or 2 on the outside to tell you which is which. And at many stations there are signs on the platfor indicating where each will stop.

Also - you do realize that you usually have to get your bags up several narrow, steep steps just to get into the train. So - be sure you can manage them easily.
May 31st, 2008, 10:27 AM

Your ticket will indicate which car and wich seat. Look for these words:

TRENO will indicate the train number.

CARROZZA is the car number

POSTO is the seat number.

You won't know the track number until you get there but it will be listed on the departure board as
BIN or Binario.

Your ticket will also say first class, under the heading CL, it should say "1".

I agree about buying the first class ticket. You do have a bit more room for luggage and self. The first class cars are usually closer to the terminal side.

A half hour should be enough time but I always plan for hitches, so I end up getting there sooner and sitting around for an hour or so.

May 31st, 2008, 10:33 AM

Slowtrav has some excellent information about Italian trains with up close pictures of ticket machines, tickets, etc. Click on reading basic ticket, reading reservation ticket, and reading Euorstar ticket.
http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/trains/index.htm

May 31st, 2008, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help. I think I will just try and buy the tickets ahead of time on Trenitalia's website since the amica fare is available. Has anyone tried the "ticketless" solution? I think this just gives you a pin number or something. Then do you still have a seat number and do they let you know what it is? Or should I just forget about that and buy it at the train station when I arrive? I would just like to be prepared in advance since I'm a first timer don't want to have to worry about it. Thanks so much.
May 31st, 2008, 10:58 AM

You can't purchase more than 2 months in advance on Trenitalia (some tickets less than that). You need to have an e-mail address that will not block Trenitalia's e-mails when they send your registration/password confirmation. AOL is one ISP that will tag it as spam before it ever gets to you - it won't even go to your spam folder. Once you get registered, you need to notify you credit card company that you are making a web purchase with an Italian company. Don't attempt to use AmEx. Give them time to enter the info on your file (ask how long it takes them). Try to purchase only during Italian week day working hours. For some reason Trenitalia seems to be less finicky during their work week. If all else fails, buy them at the airport train station on arrival. The Amica fare must be purchased 24 hours in advance so could still be available when you arrive if you aren't training the day of arrival.

As for 1st cl v 2nd cl, 2nd cl is fine on ES trains, especially Rome/Naples since travel time is only 90 minutes. Luggage is usually stored at the end of the car where the steps are on racks similar to airport shuttle bus storage. There will also be storage by your seat overhead. Many times there will be some room behind your seat depending on train.
May 31st, 2008, 11:01 AM

I guess I'm one of the few people who have never had a problem buying my tickets ahead of time on Trenitalia. The tickless option is great. They will send you an email, which is your confirmation. Print it out and take it with you. No need to validate a ticket. When the conductor comes around, just show him the confirmation.

There really isn't space underneath the seats for luggage. If you can't fit it overhead, it will have to go at the end of the car, where there is space for larger luggage. Sometimes where sets of four seats face each other, there is a little room between the sets, but you can't count on that.
May 31st, 2008, 11:02 AM

Obviously, I meant ticketless!
May 31st, 2008, 11:08 AM
J62

I've had the same experience as Susan - both on tickets & luggage. You could even write the confirmation number on a napkin or display it as a text message on cell phone - it's the number they want not any specific printout.

There is room for luggage at the end of each car in both 1st and 2nd class. In my opinion the only reason to buy a 1st class ticket is if your girth requires extra seat space. 2nd class is quite comfortable, and gets into the station the same time as 1st.
May 31st, 2008, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I'll register this weekend on the website and then let my credit card company know and purchase the fares (ticketless) during the week. I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear but what I was wondering was if you don't have a ticket, then how do you know what your seat number is ahead of time? Is that in the confirmation email?

Also, one last question. If you have traveled from Venice or know anyways, what is the difference between VE S.L. and MESTRE? I'm assuming these are different train stations in/near Venice. Some fares say both, and some say just Mestre. The train I want to take lists both. Does this mean it stops at both stations or something? And whatever is in red is the time it arrives at your destination? I think I just figured that out for myself but you can never be too sure, right? I'm assuming the Venice train station you want to leave from is Mestre.

Thanks again.
May 31st, 2008, 11:34 AM
J62

Mestre is on the mainland, just before the causeway to Venice.

If you are staying in Venice proper you want Venice Sta Lucia (SL).

All trains bound for Venice SL stop at Mestre. Not all trains that go to Mestre continue on to Venice - some continue on up the coast. There are frequent (every 10min or so?) trains that shuttle back and forth from Mestre to Ven SL so you can change if needed.

Your confirmation will show a coach (carrozza) # and seat #. You need to know both, as seat numbers repeat in each coach.
May 31st, 2008, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much J62. It's a good thing I asked about the Venice train station then. So Venice Sta Lucia is the one on the Grand Canal? And whatever time the trenitalia website says is the time it arrives there? Clearly it can't arrive at both train stations at the same time. So I'm guessing it's either the red wording or the black wording for time? Is this right?
May 31st, 2008, 12:22 PM

When you are looking at the train schedules, click on details on the right-hand side next to the price of the train you want. When the next screen appears, click on the train number (number is on the left side next to train type - ES/AV/IC). The next screen will list all the stops that train makes with the times.
May 31st, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much kybourbon.
May 31st, 2008, 04:22 PM

Do you think I need to pre-purchase train tickets from Santa Lucia/Venezia to Desenzano? Or are we fairly safe to purchase them before departing? Thanks for any help! Melissa
May 31st, 2008, 04:35 PM
J62

No, you don't need to pre-book tickets from Venice to Desenzano. There are trains 1-2 times per hour throughout the entire day.
May 31st, 2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks so much! Melissa
Jun 11th, 2008, 05:15 AM

This is my first time posting on this site. My husband and i are traveling to Rome in July. We have been trying to by our Trainitalia train ticket from Rome to Napels on line, and are having major problems. Trainitalia will not let use use any of our credit cards ( master card, visa, amx). They say we need a security code. Well we have called our credit card co. and they have never heard of this. If anyone has any suggestions, We're a little nervous getting into Rome without reserved seat on the train. Also, we are concerned if the plane is late if and how we can change our ticket times.
thanks for any help
Jun 11th, 2008, 06:20 AM

TSatl - You don't need to book in advance - just buy your tickets when you arrive.

Steve
Jun 11th, 2008, 08:18 AM

All of the travel books are telling use to reserve a seat. After flying for 8hrs we don't want to have to wait for an available train. How often do they leave for Naples?
Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO