Search

Finnish Lapland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finnish Lapland

My daughter and I will have two nights to have a taste of Lapland in June when we arrive in Finland before the rest of our family. We have never been that far north before and don't want to waste the time we have.
I am interested in culture and scenery and my daughter in history and art.I cannot see that we have time to do any major fell walking.
Can anyone suggest a destination where we can base ourselves? I've heard today about a Finnair sale which must be booked by the 31st Jan so I need to do some planning fast!
Thank you
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:50 PM

Do you know the names of the airports Finnair has on sale?
Old Jan 24th, 2006, 06:12 AM
ira

Hi F,

>My daughter and I will have two nights to have a taste of Lapland in June ...<

No you won't. The sun doesn't set in June.

Old Jan 24th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

The airports I can identify as being in the north are Kajaani, Oulu, Ivalo, Rovaniemi , Kittila and "KAO"- which is this?
The fare to these from Manchester is £227 net. The fare to other destinations further south- Jyvaskyla, Kuopio, Joensuu and Kokkola(and "VAA" another one I can't identify) is £212.
Thank you Ira- I'll think of you during the midnight sun!
Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:13 AM

Kajaani, Oulu and Rovaniemi donīt really count as "Lapland". Well, maybe Rovaniemi, it is sometimes called The Gate of Lapland. VAA means Vaasa on the western coast, but I cannot figure out KAO.

Out of those I would choose Ivalo. It is the furthest north, on the shores of Lake Inari. Like ira says, you will see no night because that north in June the sun does not even dip behind the horizon. So the further north you are, the lighter. You can see the midnight sun. (Just take something to cover your eyes at night, makes it easier to sleep. I usually throw a dark blue T-shirt over my eyes.)

About 30 kilometres north of Ivalo is Inari, and there is Siida, the center of Sámi culture. You can also take a boat to an islet that is a "seita", a holy place and a dwelling of spirits. The Sámi used to sacrifice to seita. I love that place. And if you have time you can go to Tankavaara (30 km south of Ivalo) and try your hand in gold washing. There is still gold in Laplandīs rivers and tourists (and locals) often try to find a piece.

Old Jan 25th, 2006, 02:39 AM

You can check out Siida here: http://www.siida.fi/english/en_menu.html
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

I like the sound of Inari BUT would you believe that the price I am now being quoted bears no resemblance to the advert. I am told that the Inari route is very popular and there is only one flight a day.
I'm nevertheless carrying on!
Thank you very much
Old Jan 26th, 2006, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Sorry- I meant the Ivalo Route!