Search

Finding Those Elusive Low Fares to Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25th, 2012, 05:51 AM
GAC
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finding Those Elusive Low Fares to Sicily

Looking at autumn transportation costs from Rome to Palermo, it's possible to find some very attractive low fares, with the luxury of advance planning and early bookings. Here's a recap:

BY AIR:

One-way fares as low as 44 Euros (Blu-Express) and 54.50 Euros (Easy Jet), in both cases with one piece of checked luggage and payment by credit card. For a few more Euros, Alitalia has the widest selection of flights by far. Other fares can be MUCH higher. Remember to add land transportation costs to get to both airports (anywhere from 10 to 20 Euros, depending on method used, taxis excluded). Windjet has very recently ceased operations after failed merger talks with Alitalia. Alitalia and Blu-Express also fly to Catania from Roma FCO. Ryainair flies to Trapani from Roma CIA.

www.blu-express.com
www.easyjet.com
www.alitalia.it
www.ryanair.com

OPINION: Without question, the fastest and most desirable solution, although the lowest fares usually require a long advance purchase. If connecting from overseas, passengers booked on Alitalia or its frequent flier partners Delta and Air France (among others) are protected if they miss their connecting Alitalia flight to Palermo or Catania. This is not the case if flying on to Sicily on one of the low-cost carriers. More people travel to Sicily by air than by the other methods of transportation.

BY DAYLIGHT TRAIN:

Trenitalia has two daylight direct Intercity trains to Palermo in 11.5 hours, with a "BASE" fare of 65.50 Euros in second class. Discounted SUPER ECONOMY fares (nonchangeable and nonrefundable) are also offered at 9 - 19 - 29 Euros. Remember to check SUPER ECONOMY fares in FIRST CLASS as well, which can sometimes be very attractive. (However, there is little difference between first and second class on the Intercity train to Sicily). These trains make numerous stops along Sicily's northern coast, including Milazzo and Cefalu. Comparable fares can be found on Trenitalia's daylight direct Intercity trains to Messina, Taormina, Catania and Siracusa (and a few other towns en-route). It's actually the same Intercity train from Rome, which divides in half at Messina.

www.trenitalia.it

OPINION: Some may find the train slow and tedious, while others believe that it's a good way to "see the terrain" and gain an appreciation for the territory. Bear in mind that the train often runs late, and the washrooms often leave much to be desired. However, parts of the trip are quite appealing, especially the crossing of the Straits of Messina on the train ferry, when it's possible to leave your train compartment (asking the Trenitalia agent to lock the sliding glass door) and proceed to the topside observation deck. Much of Sicily's northern coastline is also lovely to cross by train. All-in-all, something to consider at least once. Bear in mind that you lose an entire day by taking the daylight train.

BY OVERNIGHT BUS:

The bus departs at 21:00 from Tiburtina bus depot and arrives at Palermo's new bus depot adjacent to the train station the next morning. Travel time is 12 hours, and departures are 2-3 times per week. Fares range from 29.50 to 37 Euros. There is also direct bus service to Messina, Milazzo, Cefalu, Trapani, Catania and a host of other towns in southern and western Sicily (with fares under 50 Euros).

www.onbus.it
www.autoservizisalemi.it

OPINION: If you like Greyhound, you'll like this bus. Often, the only low-cost option available with a last-moment booking. Otherwise, 12 hours on an overnight bus is far from comfortable, even with reclining seats. If you're looking for overnight, travel, you're better off taking the ferry from either Civitavecchia or Naples.

MORE OVERNIGHT TRAVEL OPTIONS:

1. Trenitalia Intercity Night train with couchettes and sleeping compartments
2. Grandi Navi Veloci car ferry from Civitavecchia to Palermo
3. SNAV and Tirrenia car ferry from Naples to Palermo
4. TTT Lines car ferry from Naples to Catania
5. Siremar car ferry from Naples to Aeolian Islands and Milazzo
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
thanks, GAC. great information for those who, like me, are considering a trip to Sicily.

my appetite has been whetted by the screening in the UK of the Commissario Montalbano [called inspector in the UK] series, beloved in Italy too according to my italian teacher, who says that her mum is a big fan. it starts again tonight with another 12 instalments. My understanding is that it is shot in the south-eastern corner of Sicily for which I gather Catania airport is the most convenient.

from our local airport [Bristol] we have the choice to fly easyjet to Rome and thence to Catania, or get the train to LHR and fly to Catania from there. Neither is really ideal; I'm sure DH would like the idea of the ferry from Naples but I'm not sure I fancy that.

another idea would be to fly into Rome, pick up a car and drive down to Sicily, returning the car to Catania airport in due course. what do you think about that?
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:39 AM
GAC
Original Poster

I think you're better off taking a connecting flight from FCO to CTA!

Driving from Rome to Catania is exhausting and expensive, the highways are often interrupted by road works, and there's not much point in driving yourself: if you really want to see the terrain, you're better off taking the train, as noted in my posting above.

If you plan on hiring a car to travel in Sicily, I would do so at the CTA Airport, or perhaps in Siracusa if you plan to go there beforehand (there is direct bus service to Siracusa from CTA, as well as to many other cities in southeastern Sicily). Remember too that a car in Sicily is a liability in the large cities (including in Siracusa and Taormina), and is useful primarily to get to smaller and more remote towns.

The Commissario Montalbano territory is indeed best reached from CTA (either by bus or by rental car).
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 06:47 AM

thanks, GAC. i have tentatively pencilled in this trip for next April, but i'm not going to be able to do any serious planning til we get back from our autumn trip in the middle of October.

hopefully that should be early enough!
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 08:23 AM

GAC,

Thanks once again for your wonderful info on transportation. After 3 years of postponements, I will finally be able to do my Sicily trip in 2013 - end of April - May.

Maybe we will be planning together annhig!

I cannot wait!
Old Aug 25th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Hi Dayle -

what area of Sicily are you interested in? how long do you have for your trip?
Old Oct 31st, 2012, 11:41 AM
GAC
Original Poster

UPDATE:

Travelling to Sicily from mainland Italy (Rome) in January or February can bring real transportation cost savings: here is my "reality check" for travel in early to mid January, 2013:

TRAVEL BY AIR:

Blu Express and Easy Jet advance purchase fares as low as 50 Euros or thereabouts (payment by credit card, taxes and one piece of checked luggage included). Alitalia's fares are around 75 Euros, but Alitalia has the widest selection of flights (and guaranteed flight protection if connecting in Rome-FCO from/to another Alitalia or code-share flight). Remember to add the costs of ground transportation (an additional 10-20 Euros).

TRAVEL BY TRAIN:

YES, YES, Trenitalia does indeed show the rock-bottom 9-Euro "SUPER ECONOMY" fare in second class on BOTH its direct morning Intercity trains from Roma Termini to Palermo Centrale/Siracusa in January and February 2013. The undiscounted "BASE" fare (second class) is 69 Euros to Palermo and 66.50 Euros to Siracusa. Book up to 120 days beforehand to get the lowest possible fares (19 Euros is also a terrific fare on this route). The train ride takes 11.5 hours to Palermo (one hour less to Siracusa), and there is no food service on board, so plan accordingly. There are also "SUPER ECONOMY" fares in first class (which is not a bad idea for such a long trip, even though the differences are minimal).

One significant advantage of taking the train is that you can get off at numerous towns en-route (prior to arrival at Palermo or Siracusa), thereby avoiding the need to "back track" from Palermo or Catania airport. The train divides in two at Messina Centrale. Half the railcars proceed to Palermo, the others to Siracusa. There is usually one first class, and three-four second class, railcars going to each of Palermo and Siracusa. Here is the list of stops:

Messina Centrale
MILAZZO (gateway to Aeolian Islands)
Barcellona-Castroreale
Capo D'Orlando-Naso
S. Agata Di Militello
CEFALU
Termini Imerese
Palermo Centrale

Messina Centrale
TAORMINA-GIARDINI
Giarre-Riposto
Acireale
CATANIA CENTRALE
Lentini
Augusta
Siracusa

OBSERVATION: With the 9-Euro fare, your travel costs from Rome to Sicily are nearly ZERO. Not a bad way to start a vacation, notwithstanding the vicissitudes of the train! You won't find an air fare as low as 9 (or 19) Euros from Rome to Sicily.
Old Nov 5th, 2012, 06:36 PM
GAC
Original Poster

The news just keeps getting better: those fantastic 9-Euro "SUPER ECONOMY" fares are showing as available for travel at the beginning of March, 2013 on both of Trenitalia's morning direct Intercity trains from Rome-Naples-Salerno to Sicily.

Book 120 days in advance to get the lowest fares. The longer you wait to book, the greater the odds of having to settle for a less-than-rock-bottom fare (such as 19 or 29 Euros).

Think twice (at least) before rushing to select this non-changeable and non-refundable fare, to lessen the chances of getting "buyer's remorse".
Old Dec 8th, 2012, 06:11 PM

WE were a family of 5 that flew on Easy Jet from Rome to Palermo and it was wonderful! We flew for 38 dollars. There were 4 nuns in the front row so we knew all would be well. Very nice flight. simple to do. We booked them ourselves. If we would have booked months earlier we could have flew for $18. Oh well. $38 was much cheaper than a travel agent was going to charge us. Enjoy your trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:14 AM
GAC
Original Poster

The Trenitalia 9-Euro SUPER ECONOMY fare is still being offered for Rome to Sicily trips on the direct daylight Intercity trains at the end of April, 2013 (120 or fewer days out).

For only 9 Euros, many tourists would be willing to partake in a full day's travel to get to Sicily from central Rome, Naples or Salerno, without a single connection!

From the Taormina-Giardini train station, it's a very short 15-minute ride on the local bus up the hill for only 1.80 Euros extra (much cheaper than a private transfer by car from the Catania airport).

From Palermo Centrale train station, many hotels on and around Via Roma are located within a 5-minute walk. Others can be reached with a 1.30-Euro ticket by the local city bus line 101-102 going up Via Roma to Piazza Politeama (returning along Via Maqueda).