Finding Crown of Thorns

May 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Finding Crown of Thorns

My family will be in Paris soon.
As history buffs, we know the "Crown of Thorns" was obtained by Saint Louix IX for Saint Chapelle. Later it found its way to the French National ibrary after it was lost from the Church during the French Revolution.
Is the Crown itself now at exhibit at one of the locations of the Bibliotheque de France?
Info on that relic is not available at the English language web site of the Library or after several searches of the Web.
The reliquaries for the Crown seem to be at Notre Dame's Treasury, but not the relic itself?
Can anyone help us?

May 24th, 2003, 01:35 PM

Hmmm, I thought Notre Dame still had the crown, but displayed it only occasionally, during Lent.
May 24th, 2003, 02:27 PM

According the the following website (in French) http://perso.club-internet.fr/ndjasg..._20030404.html you could have seen the Crown of Thorns a few weeks ago; there was a service of "Veneration of the Crown of Thorns of the Savior" at Notre Dame on April 4, 2003.

The website also traces the history of the Crown. It was placed in Notre Dame in 1239 by King Louis IX himself, then transferred to La Sainte Chapelle after its completion. It was there until after the French Revolution and in 1804 was returned to the treasury of Notre Dame, where it remains. "The relic is presented for public veneration only on certain days and in exceptional circumstances." There is no mention of it ever being in the Bibliotheque Nationale.
May 24th, 2003, 04:00 PM

Will this from tne Catholic Encyclopedia help?

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/04540b.htm
May 25th, 2003, 08:01 AM

Hi jim,

Just returned from Paris where I took the Notre Dame tour. During that tour I learned that the Crown of Thorns is on display in the choir during Lent and first Fridays at 3:00.

adrienne
May 26th, 2003, 01:48 PM

Our guide Michael showed us posters in the display cases at Notre-Dame of the crown. We were in Paris in April. He told us and showed us on the posters, that a mass was held on the first Friday of each month. He had been to one of these masses and saw the crown in person. He said he even kissed it during the mass. I would guess that if you were in Paris on the first Friday of a coming month then you could go to this mass yourself to see it in person.
Maybe the church has a web site with this information listed.
Feb 22nd, 2004, 08:47 AM

I was hoping that someone might have information about the Crown of Thorns display for this year in Paris. Has anyone been to the visitation? If someone has an english speaking website with information, I would appreciate it. I'm not sure if it is just a display in Notre Dame or a procession as well. For some reason, I thought I heard once it was an outside procession.

Any information would be appreciated.