Finally Planning Italy Trip

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:24 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally Planning Italy Trip

Good Morning!
Due to family obligations, my first trip to Italy that was supposed to happen last year will now take place this September. I am now in the planning stage ........
I am flying into Venice; leave home Sept 5th arrive mid-day Sept 6th; spend rest of 6th, 7th and 8th. Maybe also stay the 9th?
I would appreciate some advice on trains please? Am finding information confusing.
Can I take a train from Venice to Florence ?
Florence 10th, 11th, 12th (or if I leave Venice on the 9th, 1/2 day the 9th)
Can I take a train from Florence to Montalcino?
Montalcino the 13th & stay over until the 14th
Can I take a train from Montalcino to Rome?
Stay in Rome 1/2 day 14th, 15th, 16th, 17th, 18th
Fly home from Rome on the 19th.
I find the advice and knowledge from everyone who post here INVALUABLE !
Thanks so very much!
jlb
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 07:58 AM

Trains are possible between venice and florence; you will need to take a bus I believe into and out of montalcino. Try to raileurope.com website for schedules and such. There may be a train into Sienna from Florence and you could get a bus from there; then take the bus back to Sienna and a train into Rome. We took a train from florence to venice that was quick and easy but drove from florence to montalcino. If you really want to see the hill country and wineries, you will likely need a car there.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 08:08 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thanks cmeyer54.
Does one have to purchase tickets in advance?
Also, do you know anything about the buses? ie. website, schedules etc.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:18 AM

jib,
For bus schedules http://www.trainspa.it/train04/extraurbano.pdf

Henry
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:22 AM

2-1/2 days in Venice would not be nearly enough for me. Spent 4-1/2 days there on our first trip, and there was a lot that we didn't get to see/do; e.g., Accademia, Guggenheim, any of the smaller lagoon islands (Murano, Burano, Torcello, San Michele, etc.).
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:31 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thanks Henry.
Do you just go that day to the bus terminal to buy the tickets? Can the hotel sell them? Have you taken the buses?

Thanks Paul.
I never considered a trip to the smaller lagoon islands. I 'm not interested in the glass, but is it a nice day to spend on one of them? What would you recommend to do? Maybe I will be changing the number of days in Venice then.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:35 AM
DRJ

Why Montalcino? It will be the complication of the trip. You can buy Brunello anywhere.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 09:43 AM
jlb
Original Poster

DRJ,
From my looking/researching, Montalcino looks like a nice little town to experience, there is a nice hotel I would like to stay at, and I would like to go to Sant'Antimo and I believe that is close by.
jlb
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:20 AM

jib,
I haven't used buses for that area the schedules are not good for touring.

Henry
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 10:45 AM

Your trip will be simpler if you go to Montepulciano instead of Montalcino. It is also a very pretty Tuscan hilltown. But you will miss Sant'Antimo.

You can take a train to Florence from Venice (approx 3 hours)

From Florence, you can take a train to Chiusi (90 minutes), and then take a 30 minute bus ride to Montepulciano.

To get to Rome, take the same bus back to Chiusi and catch a train to Rome. (90 minutes)

I wish I could tell you it will be easy for you to see Sant'Antimo from there, but it is not.

If you are determined to go to Montalcino but don't wish to rent a car, take the train from Florence to Bounconvento, take a tax or bus to Montalcino. From there you can get a taxi to take you to Sant'Antimo, but I expect it will be pricey.

I have heard that people on the Rick Steves message board know a lot about using buses to see places like Montalcino and Sant'Antimo. You might try asking over there.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:05 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Thanks zeppole.
Going to Sant'Antimo is on my list to do.
Getting to Montalcino from Florence isn't very easy to do then if you don't rent a car in Florence? Would a two day rental be the best?
Are there taxis in Montalcino that will take me to Sant'Antimo? How expensive?
I'll google Rick Steeves....
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:22 AM
jlb
Original Poster

Would I be able to get a one-way tour/guide to Montalcino from Florence? Then I could take another form of transportation back the next day or two?

I would also appreciate any recommended tour companies or guides for the Vatican/ Sistine Chapel/St Peter's Basilica that anyone has used.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 11:58 AM

jib,
There are no taxis in Montalcino. There are a couple of car a drivers.

Henry
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Pick up a rental car as you are leaving Florence and do your own driving through Tuscany - that way you can make your own path through San Giminiano, Siena, Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza (one of my personal favorites, right after Siena), or any other lovely hilltown that strikes your fancy, and eventually drop the car at Chiusi and take the train to Rome. I've never had to pay a drop off fee in Italy when I pick up in one city and return at another.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:28 PM

Trains run hourly to Florence from Venice--not a problem

I see 2 viable options for you in Tuscany. The best one is to get a car. The 2nd is to stay in Siena and day trip by bus to Montalcino--the abbey will not easy---about :15 south of Montalcino. Good luck !
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Another possibility that costs more but may work for you: Hire Luca of hillsandroads.com to drive you from Florence to Montalcino (or wherever you decide to stay in Tuscany). You can make a day of it, stopping in Sant Antimo or wherever you'd like.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 12:44 PM

Good idea, but you can rent a car for 3 days for about the same $$$.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Here is at least one website for a taxi driver in Montalcino, and it is in English:

http://www.montalcinotravel.com/

Here's another:

http://www.montalcino-tuscany.com/taxi.htm

The local tourist office lists 3. Point is: If you plan to stay in Montalcino, ask your hotel or landlord to help you.

A two-day car rental is sometimes not available through the best car rental companies, but you should check Autoeurope. A car rental would simplify your travels BUT consider this too:

Rent the car in Venice, drive to Montalcino, and after a nice Tuscan tour, drive the car back to Firenze. See Firenze, and take the 90 minute fast train to Rome from Firenze after Rome.

If you want to see Florence, I would not recommend staying in Siena.
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 01:56 PM

zeppole,
Both your references are for the same car and driver in Montalcino.

Henry
Old Mar 16th, 2010, 02:48 PM

jlb,

This lodging in Montalcino is an hour's walk from Sant'Antimo. Might be a good choice. I would think they could tell you the best way to arrive.

http://www.lacrociona.com/eng_index.asp

Thanks Henry! I meant to post this website:

http://www.qype.it/place/preview/it-...bio-montalcino

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -