Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finally! It's a Wedding in Abruzzo/Tuscany! Hoping for your input!

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Greetings!

My fiance and I seek a romantic, quiet, small village in Italy to get married next February. We shall be bringing around 20-30 guests and hope to find a lovely villa or agriturismo to accommodate us for a week. Ideally, the facility would offer dinner options as well as breakfast.

A small church is what we desire, the Groom is Catholic, the Bride Protestant. We want to bring our families and closest friends together as we start our life together and want this to be a truly holy ceremony, a celebration of Faith and Love.

We envision a romantic small town where we can walk to the church and then to a reception. I don't want to get married at the local city hall, although, having seen many of them know them to be lovely.

This precious small town would also be located on or near a train line so family members may go to Siena, Florence, Rome or other destinations during our week together.

Many family members have traveled in Italy and Europe as well as the MidEast. Some haven't traveled far from the US. The ages vary but all revel in travel and meeting new people and discovering more of another culture.

My fiance and I have been to Italy many times, separately, and both love it. We have been virtually all over Italy, to include Sicily. We like the idea of finding a home in Abruzzo someday as we love to sail and would like proximity to the sea. Italy is in our soul and we just want to start our life together there.

We are not concerned about the marriage logistics, we've researched them and think they are doable. We simply ask for ideas on finding this precious little village, off the beaten path, that is located near enough to Rome and Florence with a charming villa and ideas on drivers and your favorite family Italian restaurants. .

The latter part of February is the time frame. We will be buying the airline tickets for most of the group. Any help is appreciated!

Ciao!
Ginger
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:49 PM

Congratulations!

Check out Palazzo Tour d'eau in Carunchio. I (as did kwren and orkid)just came back from a cooking vacation there.

It's a beautiful, restored palace (2005?) on the top of a mountain. The Church is literally steps away from the Palazzo. The suites are very comfortable. The food is beyond fabulous, Dino (the chef)is world class . Massimo, the host/owner is a fantastic host. We never wanted for anything while we were there and he is a great source for everything Abruzzo.

http://www.palazzotd.com/us_html/us_contatti.html
Trip advisor reviews http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...i_Abruzzo.html
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend is attending just such a gathering and celebration near Siena this weekend.

when she comes back, I'll ask her for the details.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 01:56 PM

For Feb your options may be limited--it will be cold.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:51 AM

I agree with Bob. Best bet would be southern Tuscany on the coast. This would mean that you could fly into Rome.

If your party is large it would probably be more convenient and probably not that more expensive to hire a 12/15 seater minibus or similar for the various trips.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:02 AM

Agree that in Feb trekking through the streets from one place to another may be kind of chilly - and perhaps rainy.

If you are of different religions who would be performing this ceremony? I know this isn't an issue in the US - but not sure if a protestant can marry in a catholic church in Italy - which woud obviusly have to be organized in advance.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 10:45 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
adam - no advertising here please!
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 02:09 PM

You might also consider hiring a wedding planner here in the US that specializes in Italian weddings. There was a lady in Colorado who did it.

The logistics are pretty complicated if you are doing a religious ceremony. You should start getting all your documents in order now and don't forget to get the Apostile on each and everyone of them. The documents have to be translated to Italian also.

It does sound romantic and I hope it works out for you. The idea of a minibus is a good one because it will be really cold in February.