Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Finalizing Sardinia-Maratea-Calabria Itinerary

Mar 9th, 2004, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

I will be doing 10 nights in Sardinia in August. Instead of taking a ferry to Naples, we will be flying from Cagliari to Naples. The reason being that the car rental will be much cheaper that way, and we will gain a night. Is Meridiana the only airline that goes from Cagliari to Naples? They appear to have only one flight that day, and it's at 3:25 arriving in Naples at 4:30.

My plan was to drive to Maratea and spend the next 2 nights, although by the time we get to Maratea that 1st evening I expect it may be about 7pm. I wanted to go to Paestum the next day, but am thinking that it doesn't make sense? I should probably just explore Maratea for the one full day that I am there? I chose Maratea because it seems ro be the mid-point between Naples and my family in Calabria, where we will be headed for the last 8 nights. Any thoughts?

Mar 10th, 2004, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Mar 10th, 2004, 07:26 AM
GAC

AP: if you've never been to Paestum, it is well worth a stopover. Why not spend your first night on the Italian mainland at Paestum, then continue south to Maratea? Paestum has some very good beach hotels, as well as smaller properties closer to the ruins.

As far as I know, only Meridiana flies Cagliari to Naples.
Mar 10th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

The only problem with that is that we won't even get to the Naples airport until 4:30. By the time we get our luggage and rental car and get to wherever we are going the day will be done. So, I have to either choose the Paestum area or Maratea so the next day can be all siteseeing.
Mar 10th, 2004, 08:30 AM
GAC

AP: I don't see the problem. You could overnight in Paesum, visit the Temples at the crack of dawn, then proceed south to Maratea. Or, you could be a little more patient, and tour the museum as well when it opens at 9 a.m.
Mar 10th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Is Paestum a small site? It can be covered pretty quickly? Via Michelin says to take road E45 for most of the way from Naples to Paestum, this is not the road for the Amalfi coast right? I'm not big on one night stays but I'll definitely consider it, thanks.
Mar 10th, 2004, 10:04 AM
GAC

AP: Paestum is indeed a fairly small site. You can view the Temples in 10 minutes, and visit the museum in 30 minutes (although most travelers would budget at least two hours). The drive from the Naples airport to Paestum should take about 90 minutes. The Savoy Beach Hotel is the leading property, although there are several other hotels which are less expensive. The Helios Hotel is right across the street from one of the Temples (on the northern extremity, as I recall). You could also simply park at Paestum, get a coffee, ice cream or snack, view the Temples from the cafe, then proceed by car to Maratea.