Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

final iternary...Paris,switzerland,italy & more...please advise

Aug 26th, 2003, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

OK here goes...I leave on Thursday for Europe!!! I have read so many of your posts trying to decide. So here goes..this is the plan.

Aug 29,30...Paris
Aug 31,1...Geneva(day trip to Lausanne or Gruyere...will decide when we are there)
Sept 2,3...Muerren(hoping to ship luggage ahead from Montreux..taking scenic Golden Pass train to Interlaken. Transfer to Lauterbrunnen..spend the afternoon checking out the falls and then heading up to Muerren for sunset.
Sept 4,5..Florence...this is the most painful part of the trip. Looks like 7-8 hrs on the train during the day. Feels like such a waste. But, hubby things he will enjoy the rest!LOL
Sept 6,7...Venice
September 8...Lugano..planning to stop for Lunch inMilan for the afternoon and head onto Lugano for the evening.
September 9,10...Lucerne
September 11...Cologne...hoping to spend the day stopping to sightsee along the way(to break up a long train ride). Here are my choices..any advice

Basel-1:10 hour from Lucerne
Baden-Baden-1:30 hrs from Basel
Frankfurt-1:40 from Baden-Baden
Cologne: 1 hr from Franfurt

So obviously we would like to stop wher ehter eis lots to see and do by the train station. DO you think we could stop in more then one place?

And any suggestionson what to do with one night in COlogne..would be great!

September 12th-17th Amsterdam...Business/Personal trip.

So basically this is the itenerary..leaving very soon and would love feedback. Basically, we needed to get to Amsterdam by September 12th for a Business coference. This was hte best way I could see doing it and getting to optimize our time in Europe..and Ilooked at so many scenarios.
Aug 26th, 2003, 05:19 AM

Mel, you said that you'd love the feedback, but forgive me...

Don't you think you're taking on too much??? I think you're going to need a vacation when you return from this vacation.

Of the roughly 12/13 days of pleasure, how much time will be devoted to trains, stations, cabs, check-ins, check-outs, etc, etc? A rather high percentage, I fear.

In my humble opinion, you should scale it back, do some editing and consequently I think you'll enjoy yourselves all the more.
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:20 AM

Sorry, Mel, but I have to agree with Tuck. Your vacation will be a whirlwind and you will probably be exhausted by the time it's over. Slow down a little bit. Realize that everything always takes longer than you expect and you will get tired.
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:24 AM
ira

Hi mel,

I agree with the above posters. When do you go potty?
Aug 26th, 2003, 06:36 AM

And another agree--'way too much. You will certainly be able to say you have been to ___and____and ___ but what will you KNOW about these places/people. You will arrive Paris in the morning of one day, have a day, and leave--what's with that? This is one of the most captivating places in the world. And totally agree about "how much time you will be spending in transit". Every time you go to a city/town there is a lot of time spent getting into the hotel and getting acclimated to what you will want to see. Cut down on your destinations. Paris deserves more--and if you go to Italy, Florence deserves more. You are passing through Switzerland twice--consider flying from Paris to Florence or Venice and then going north, IF you have to have all these places. You have a wonderful amount of time before you have to be in Amsterdam--use it better.
Aug 26th, 2003, 08:49 AM

I think you need to eliminate 50% of the locations and utilize the cheap intra-European airfares as opposed to always using trains because your itinerary calls for some REALLY long train rides. Paris to Geneva (when you only have two days in Paris and two in Geneva) needs to be via plane.

With 14 days you could stay in Paris for 4 days, Switzerland for 5 days, 2 days in Florence and 3 days in Venice.

Even with this pared down suggested itinerary, I would still do some flying to cut down on all the wasted travel time.