Notices

Figueres/Barcelona?

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Traci

Figueres/Barcelona?

Has anyone stayed in Figueres (home of the Dali museum)? My friend and I were looking for Barcelona hotels and came across a cheap $40/night one in Figueres. But now we realize Figueres is an 85-mile or 2-hour train ride from Barcelona. We still may stay there and just go into Barcelona for two days and then do day outings in the area surrounding Figueres for the other two days of our trip. Does anyone have any insight into Figueres? About how much is the train ride to Barcelona? Or is it better to take a bus?

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 11:48 AM
BOB

Figueres is one of those hidden treasures you will always remember. We stayed there 4 days last years and had a most enjoyable time. It's a tiny town will magnificant views of the harbor and the mediteranean sea. We found a few marcvelous restaurants and and the costs were moderate. You have to have a car because you can't get there any other way. The trip from the main highway over the mountains to figueres over a winding road with steep drops is one you'll always remember. Go there.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 12:10 PM
Alec

Bob, are you talking about the same place? Figueres is a provincial town in Alt Emporia, 20 km from the coast at Roses. Its fame is undoubtedly the Dali Museum, which is one of the most fascinating sights in Catalonia, perhaps in all Spain. Not to be missed. Most people only do day trips to the town, leaving a quiet and pleasant Catalan town full of character, with food and board much cheaper than Barcelona. Though a car is a help, esp for scenic drive along the best part of Costa Brava from the French border down to Sant Feliue de Guixols, there is good bus links to many neighbouring resorts as well as into Alberes mountains to the north. Trains to Barcelona stop at the provincial capital of Girona, a likeable town full of history and charm.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 07:54 PM
mary

I'm in sync with the last response... Figueres is NOT on the coast, what IS an amazing coastal town that Dali also lived (and houses the museum that is his actual home compound right on the beach/port) is Cadaques! Harder to get to - definitely need car... Figueres is really not much of a town except for the Big outrageous Dali museum. I would instead recommend Tossa del Mar (as Cadaques is probably too far unless you're on a longer vacation)... it has a castle on the hilltop overlooking the sea and 2 beaches on either side, LOTS of inexpensive places to stay. BUT remember, depending on the time of year you are going, this is not the caribbean, but the mediterranean and don't expect to lounge on the beach until late May, but if you don't care about lounging on the beach, then the Costa Brava is beautiful for walking, hiking, eating, discovering.

Old Mar 11th, 2001, 05:49 AM
Maribel

I have to concur with Alec and Mary.
We stayed right outside Figueres for 3 nights in Avinyonet. We used it as our base to make excursions by car to the wonderful medieval villages of Besalu, Beget, Rupit and Santa Pau and to explore the extinct volcanic region of La Garrotxa and the artist's town of Olot and lovely seaside Colloiure in French Catalonia. It does make a nice base for day trips, but you'd need a car. Figueres, as Alec states, is the inland provincial capital of the Alt Emporda. We found it to be pleasant enough (a stroll along the Ramblas) but not remarkable, simply a Catalan country market town on the plain, but with its 2 claims to fame-the over the top Teatre Museu Dali and 3 quite famous restaurants (one, the "Emporda" was the "birthplace" of New Catalan cuisine).
If you're looking for coastal beauty, an area for nice day excursions via public transportation, livelier atmosphere and inexpensive food/ lodging, you'll probably want to be in the Tossa area, as Mary suggests. I also agree that Cadaques is too far removed for the time you have (I think Bob was referring to Cadaques?).