26 min.
Martel
24 min. to
Gouffre Padirac
26 min.
Rocamadour
55 min. to
Figeac
This is a three to four hour drive, just the drive, according to Michelin. Is this possible to do in one day or is it too much?
If so how would you change it?
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 07:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aren't you going to stop and see any of these places on your way TO Figeac?

Lines at Gouffre de Padirac can be up to an hour or more in high season. The tour itself takes at least an hour. You'll need an hour to do justice to Collonge-la-Rouge. Carennac, maybe a half-hour or more. Rocamadour, depends what you want to do and see, but at least an hour. Martel I love, but most people don't know the history or "get" what it's all about (la ville de sept tours - I always have to go see all seven), so depending on your interest in the history, 20 minutes or 2+ hours.
Old Jun 25th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

This was the recommended drive. So I have been reading and looking at the logistics. It seemed like a lot to do in one day.

The drive is on Sunday so I realize a lot shops won't be open. As you said that doesn't matter, we can still see the villages.

It was also recommended to arrive at Gouffre de Padirac around noon as many people stopped for lunch and it would be slower. Would it be better to do this the very first stop instead? It opens at 9:30 (Arrive earlier) or we could be in Carennac by at least 9:30.

If we get an early start we can have at least 4 hours before noon (Gouffre Padirac at noon). We may have to skip Martel, who knows. Enjoy the morinng in Carennac, Collonges la Rouge, and hopefully Martel.

Take the next 2 hours at least at Gouffre de Padirac.

That still gives us quite a bit of time in the afternoon. If we skipped Martel we might go back the 25 minute drive from Gouffre de Padirac, and then back to Rocamadour to finish the day. We are still just an hour from our base of Figeac.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Is this still too much?
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 05:13 AM

Why dont you just keep it as a general plan and see how the day pans out? Prioritise and just drop what you have to as you go if you dont have time...
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 06:52 AM

I can't see planning everything down to the minute, especially in this part of the world. Plus, no one here knows what might grab you on the spot as particularly interesting, or what might not prove interesting to you at all. You might come across a festival you want to stop for. There might be road work requiring you to take a new route. It might be pouring buckets. There are too many variables. Just plot your route and see how it goes.
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 09:15 AM

I would strongly recommend going to the Gouffre de Padirac first thing in the morning. They open at 8:30 or 9:30 depending on the day/date.

When we were there on a Monday morning in late April, we arrived between 9:00 and 10:00 and had a short wait to buy tickets. There was another wait to take the elevator down, and another wait to board a boat to begin the actual tour. I would guess that these waits totaled 30-40 minutes. The tour takes well over an hour.

When our tour boat returned to the dock, there was a very long line of people waiting to board a boat. Each boat takes 8 people. When we exited the building at the entrance, there were at least 100 people in the ticket line outside. Even if you avoid the ticket line by buying tickets online, you still have to wait in the elevator and boat lines.

I would think that during high season those lines would only be much longer as the day goes on. In the FAQ on their site, they recommend arriving before 10:00 or after 17:00 to reduce wait time.

http://www.gouffre-de-padirac.com/#/en
Old Jun 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM

I agree with jamikins. Start with a plan but be prepared to modify as the day progresses. Yes, you may have to miss something. That is what happens. I know you desperately wish you had more time, but you don't. While you are going to be there during the busy season, you do have the advantage of longer days.
I get a bit concerned when people start giving times to do things. We have found Michelin good for the actual driving times, but you have to add on the variables. Over the years we have had numerous Route Barree and deviations which add time, been slowed down by tractors with trailers of hay, stopped while farmers lead their cattle across the road, heaven forbid, car accidents [ not us ]. Time to find a park. Sometimes it is free, sometimes you have to get a ticket. No big deal, but it all takes time. Probably none of this will happen to you. But it can add to the stress if you are already on a timetable. And you are on holidays. No stress is allowed!!!
Everyone travels in their own way. As StCirq has said, we do not know what will appeal to you. We have visited places that others have said they spent hours at, and a short visit has been enough for us. And then stopped somewhere that others said not to bother about and really liked it.
We enjoyed our visit to Gouffre de Padirac. We were there in early April and had no delays. We had visited Rocamadour earlier that day from our base near Gourdon. I think you have to decide whether you want to spend time waiting to do the tour or do you forego a visit in favour of another activity. Only you can make that decision.
I am looking forward to your trip report when you get back.
Bon voyage.
Old Jun 27th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Ah, voices of reason. All of you are right and I need to be reminded. I get so caught up in "planning" and details. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to experience this area and I know that we will be happy with the way it all plays out each day. We don't want it to be a drill, rather simply relax and each moment, take it all in. Granted we are a little nervous because it is a new place for us. But this forum has kept us on the right track and made it not quite so daunting.

I think the thread I have on St. Remy and day trips there, fall into this category. I have worried that we didn't know what we were going to do on Friday and Saturday. There are a plethora of choices. I think it will be easier once we are there and have a feel for the logistics of the area.

The good thing about planning is all of the reading and research that comes with it. That has been the best and it just makes me want to read more.

Thanks