Search

Fiat Panda or Lancia Y rental for 2 adults

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fiat Panda or Lancia Y rental for 2 adults

Hello,
I have the option of picking either a Panda or Lancia Y as a rental car while in Italy. The rate for the Panda is slightly more expensive, however, is the amount of trunk space significantly different in one versus the other-or, is one car preferred over the other in general? ...just checking...I looked at the websites and I can't really find info. on trunk sizes. Both my wife and I will have a carry on and a large duffle bag.

Thanks for any thoughts.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 05:58 AM

Both are decent mini cars. Depending on the size of your duffles, you may have to put some luggage on the back seat-not a good idea to leave luggage in sight when parked. I believe that the Panda comes with standard ABS. I'm not sure about the Lancia. With both, you will be driving in the slower lanes of the autostrada since their top speed is not all that high and cruising at 70mph (about 110 kph) you will be able to see your fuel going down - the engines will be at pretty high revs. I am not sure if either are available in diesel.If affordable, I would try to get a Fiat Steelo Diesel. It is quiet, comfortable, handles well and is economical. Considering the price of fuel, the difference in economy may well make up for the difference in rental price. I drove all over Italy in a Steelo and it was a good balance between size, comfort, and economy. I also rented a Smart For Four in Naples to drive the Amalfi coast and that was suprisingly good too.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinion...I'll investigate that plan. The reason I asked about trunk size is I have no intention of having luggage showing ever and I want to be sure I have something that will obscure what we will be carrying.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:00 AM

These are realy mini cars. At least ask for a Fiat Punto
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

...me again. I will be renting through Auto Europe. Fiat Steelo doesn't appear to be among my options. There is either the Fiat Panda or the Fiat Punto as options. The Punto is listed as a 4 door. I'm not sure if that car is much bigger. On the site, it says it is similar to a Ford Aspire, but the body style is much different so I can't really gauge the trunk size. That is my key factor at this point. A car that can accomodate 2 carry ons and 2 large soft duffle bags.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Hi, I drive a Fiat Punto and a Brava. Fiat is def larger than a Panda. Enough boot space to carry my cricket gear or if travelling then a large and a small suitcase/luggage. Drives well and the new ones are cool looking too.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:06 AM

don't be surprised if at the rental counter you get a car that is "similar". That was our experience in Italy. We opted for a particular car and when we rented we were given something similar. I'd fo for diesel over anything.

Travelatte
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

I always expect that the car you think you are getting may not be there at pic up, and I know of the advantages of a diesel car if I can get one.

If I have to make an upgrade at the time of pick up, I'll do so if I can. When I was in Spain years back I had to get the keys to numerous cars to check their trunks to be sure they'd conceal my luggage. I may end up having to do that again.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:30 AM

I rented a Panda last summer in Switzerland. It was a 5 speed manual, with air conditioning. The a/c came in handy because when we were there it was HOT. Unreal! Driving a manual shift is no problem because I drive a 5-speed every day.

How would I rate the car? Barely adequate. Hard seats, slow acceleration, limited leg room, not much luggage space. The ride was bumpy.

On the good side, it did not use much gas and it had good brakes. The small size made it easy to park and to scoot around in city traffic.

On the freeways, it was overmatched.

We did not need the luggage space because we had one fixed base and drove around from there. If we had to put all of our "stuff" in the trunk, I don't think it would have fit. Something would have been on the back seat.

If I were planning on much autostrada driving, I would definitely want something with more get up and go.

If I was going to be doing 60% or more of my driving in towns and cities, I would not mind another Panda.

The Renault Magrane is far better car.
A larger Fiat model would be ok, too.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM
Original Poster

Is a Fiat Punto much of an upgrade over the Panda? That appears to be my next option per the Europe Car website.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 03:51 PM

Are you both really small people? (You can;t imagine how small these cars are.)

I would go for something more like a US compact - so you have room for the luggage - and a least a chance of getting on the highway safely (it's hard to merge with traffic going 85 when your top speed is about 60).
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:33 PM

If you are using AutoEurope you might try going to the Kemwell website (AutoEurope's sister company) and inputting the same info, location, etc. Sometimes Kemwell will have more cars to choose from and sometimes they will offer even better prices.

Frankly, this is one time when the extra expense may be worth its weight in gold and peace of mind no matter who you rent from.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 04:56 PM

First, I agree that you usually won't get to choose your exact car model. All rental agencies will give you an example of what the class of car is, but at the end you're likely to get something different.

But in case you get to choose between the two. Lancia is an upscale brand made by Fiat, and they cars usually have better equipment and power. Now, they don't make a "Y" anymore, but the new car is called the "Ypislon". It's based on the same platform as the Fiata Panda, but the two are different.

The Ypsilon has only 2 doors, but its dimension is actually bigger than the Panda, which has 4 doors.

So, since there's just two of you, then take the Lancia. If that's available.

If a company is renting a "Y" (not Ypsilon) to you, then be cautious. It may be a car that's a few years old already.
Old Feb 10th, 2006, 09:17 PM

The wheelbase on the Punto is 200 millimeters longer than the Panda.
If I am converting correctly that is about 7.8 inches.

Even the Fiat Idea which is the 3rd smallest (larger than Panda and Punto) has a wheelbase of less than 100 inches.

For comparison, a Toyota Corolla has a wheelbase of 102.4 inches. So the Idea is about the same size in that dimension.

Of course that is only a rough indication and other figures need to be cited. I include it only as a means of comparison.

Even so most of these cars have 1.3 and 1.4 liter engines. Marrying an engine that small with an automatic transmission just about ensures that the car will be very sluggish.

We had an Opel Vectra one summer in Switzerland which was an upgrade for free. The young lady in the Avis office thought she was being extra nice to give Americans an automatic. Even though the car had a 2.0 liter engine, I thought it was sluggish because of the automatic shift.

I guess I was not being too diplomatic when I asked if we could not have a manual gear shift. Her response was "Americans drive automatics."

We took it, but gearing it down on the mountain passes was not fully possible.
Good thing it had excellent tires and brakes.

Old Feb 11th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

According to the AutoEurope website, here is what they are telling me is available for pick ups in Florence the day I am wanting to depart:
"Lancia Y 2dr with ac
Manual (stickshift)" (cheapest option)
..next option...
"Fiat Punto with ac
Manual (stickshift)" (2nd cheapest option)
...prices jump quite a bit after those.

My wife and I have driven in smaller European cars before. I am not so much worried about how we will do in the passenger compartment. All I am looking for is a vehicle with fair fuel economy that will conceal my luggage.

We won't be doing a whole lot of highway travel. Mostly we will be rolling through Tuscany on secondary roads as it appears.

The price difference between the Lancia and the Punto is minimal. Are they pretty much the same type of car?