Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ferry service from Sicily to Naples in May--Some general and some specific questions

Ferry service from Sicily to Naples in May--Some general and some specific questions

Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're thinking of taking the ferry from Sicily to Naples next May. From what I've been able to learn, it seems like our choices are SNAV or Tirrenia from Palermo or TTT from Catania. It also seems that SNAV has an overnight ferry or a catamaran that leave Palermo at 9 am and takes about 4.5 hours. Is this information right or am I missing something?

Since we'll be on the east side of Sicily, Catania might be an easier choice, but I'd love to hear anyone's experience with each of the lines. Also, I have some specific questions:

Do the cabins have a sink and toilet?

Can you lock the cabin from the outside so that you can safely leave your luggage in the room when you're not there/

How early can you get on the overnight ferries--the one from Catania doesn't sail until midnight and we're usually asleep by then.

Are there "left luggage" facilities at either Palermo or Catania ports so you can store your luggage the day you're sailing while you're sightseeing? This is of more interest to me for Palermo because we probably wouldn't have a hotel room there and I'm nervous about leaving the luggage in the car all day.

Thanks for any feedback.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM

SNAV's fast ferry from Palermo did not run this year, but both SNAV and Tirrenia run overnight ships every night. Another service is by Siremar from Milazzo via Lipari, Stromboli, etc (www.siremar.it).
To find out what facilities are in cabins, you should look at the operators' fares. Both TTT and Tirrenia have modern ships and I'm sure all cabins have a bathroom with a shower, toilet and sink. The SNAV ships are older and the cheaper cabins may have more limited facilities. Basically, as with hotels, the more you pay, the better the accommodation.
The cabins will have a door that can be locked - I can't remember being on a ship where this wasn't the case. On older ships, you usually get a key, but on newer ships, it's generally a magnetic card.
TTT Lines' service from Catania is mainly for lorries, so facilities at the port may be limited, though the main railway station will certainly have a manual left-luggage office (though this will not be open round the clock).
The two services from Palermo do carry large numbers of passengers, and the ships normally stay in port during the day, so it should be possible to board well before sailing time.
Contact the companies or look at their web sites:
www.snav.it
www.tirrenia.it
www.tttlines.it
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:01 AM

See surfingmomma's account of her trip to Sicily & Italy - she used the overnight Palermo-Naples ferry.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 08:05 AM
GAC

1. The SNAV Catamaran between Palermo and Naples was discontinued this year, taking away a very useful and fast connection.

2. Cabins have toilet and sink. Some cabins on the SNAV ferry out of Palermo may not have private facilities, and are advertised as such on the website.

3. You indeed can lock the cabin from the outside, and leave your luggage in the cabin while you explore the ship.

4. You usually can arrive at the dock up to two hours ahead of sailing time, but each operator has its own rules.

5. I know that there are left luggage facilities at the Palermo port. Not sure about Catania, I expect so as well.

Bear in mind that you can also take a sleeper train from Catania to Naples, which may cost a little less than the ferry.
Old Nov 15th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all so much. I had looked at each company's website (not siremar, however) and had been unable to find the answers to these questions (at least that I was unable to understand given my very, very limited understanding of Italian). I had seen surfingmomma's trip report and seen that she liked the service--sounds like she might have gone on tirrenia.

It's too bad about the fast catamaran being discontinued.

I have sent emails to both companies but I've always found this forum a great source of information. Thanks again to each of you.