Ferry Rhodes- Turkey

Feb 21st, 2007, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Ferry Rhodes- Turkey

Can I get a ferry/hydrofoil Rhodes-Turkey? Does it go to Marmaris? Is there anything to Fethiye? Or anywhere else on that coast? Does it go every day in high season?
This sounds like one for Geoff Harmer. Hopefully
Gertie
Feb 21st, 2007, 04:24 PM

I just bought our tix for Marmaris-Rhodes. There are two hydrofoils a day- one around 9 AM and one around 4 PM. In the summer these seem to be daily. I don't know about the reverse schedule ( Rhodes-Marmaris).

There is also a boat from Bodrum-Rhodes, but I think that even in high season, it only runs once or twice a week.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:39 AM

Hi Gertie - Yes, the service between Rhodes and Marmaris (- and return) is daily in high season.

It's timetabled for day-trippers, with a breakfastime departure, returning about 5p.m if I remember.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Feb 22nd, 2007, 12:59 AM

There are boats every day in summer between Rodos and Marmaris. Greek boats leave Rodos in the morning, and return in the afternoon, while Turkish boats leave Marmaris in the morning and return from Rodos in the late afternoon.
See www.seadreams.gr and www.yesilmarmaris.com for examples of the boats.
They cater mainly for day trippers, but you can book one-way tickets. Fares are high, partly because of port taxes. Travel agents in both ports sell tickets for both Greek and Turkish boats.
There is a hydrofoil which makes day trips from Fethiye - see
www.yesildalyantravel.com.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 04:33 AM

No one has really answered Gertie's question about the attraction of Marmaris or Fethiye. I would like to know myself, as my socialite entourage and I will be in Rhodes from July 12 to July 17. We were thinking of taking a day trip to Simi, but what else is an option? No one on this site seems to know anything about Mamaris. (Since no one goes there, it can't be that spectacular.)

What is a jet setter dressed in Dries Van Noten supposed to do, sweetie?
Feb 22nd, 2007, 05:04 AM

Gertie's original question on this thread said nothing about the relative attractions of Marmaris or Fethiye.
I've never been to Fethiye, but went to Marmaris in the 1980s when the whole town was a building site, with hotels and pensions being built everywhere. I stopped a night in Marmaris en route to Rodos. It will obviously have changed since then, but is very much a resort for mass tourism.
If you want an attractive day trip from Rodos, Simi must be a better choice - much less developed and very pretty. Most tourists go there on day trips and it fortunately lacks big hotels and facilities for mass package tourism.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. Useful info.
I'm actually meeting up with someone in Dalyan Turkey. Rather than flying direct to Dalaman I thought it might be nice to go via a few Greek Islands, ending up in Rhodes, then hopping across to Turkey. I'm not pressed for time and I like boats. So it doesn't really matter which port I land, I shall be moving on pretty quickly.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:09 AM

Marmaris is a big, busy resort - but certainly worth a visit. The main attraction for me is the setting - fjord-like, almost ...

Dalyan is an easy boat-ride from Marmaris.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Steve
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Wow Steve, that's even better. You don't happen to have details of the boat Marmaris-Dalyan do you? Departure times etc? Or a website?
Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:21 AM

We were talked out of staying in Marmaris for more than one night by a Turkish travel agent! The agent suggested that Marmaris is an overbuilt resort designed for tour packages.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 08:52 AM

We chartered a gulet in Marmaris last fall. Happy we only boarded the boat there. Our impression of Marmaris is that it is a large modern city with new, ugly high rise buildings. We did stay in Bodrum for a few days prior to our sail which was a small, old world, charming town. Fethiye held little interest for us also. Too many stores with a very large shopping area. But Goeck was much more to our liking...smaller and easier to navigate.Hope this is helpful to you.
Feb 23rd, 2007, 02:09 AM

We actually went on a day-trip by boat from Marmaris, with a few stops en route - Turtle Beach, swim stop, lunch ...

We transferred to a riverboat from Turtle Beach up to Dalyan and the mud baths. You could do that and just stop off in Dalyan ...

Alternatively there is a dolmus service from Marmaris which would even cheaper.

Hope this helps ...

Steve

Here are some views:

http://www.marmarisinfo.com/imagegal....php?cat_id=19

http://www.marmaris.org/tours_trips/...le_Beach.shtml
Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Steve. That's a great help and the pictures are wonderful. Can't wait to go!
Feb 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Can you tell us more about your gulat charter? Do you recommend it better than exploring the coast by car?

Search this Thread