Ferry Iraklion to Santorini

Mar 25th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Ferry Iraklion to Santorini

In July is there an evening ferry from Iraklion to Santorini?
Mar 25th, 2007, 09:39 AM

No, it's a 9:45 AM departure.

http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/
Mar 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM

It's for the day tourists
Mar 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM

TO my knowledge if you want daily, there is just the daily (except some Wednesdays 9:45 am hi-speed from Iraklion to Thira.

The evening (slow) car ferry runs about twice a week, used to be Tuesday & FRiday departs20:00 (8 pm) gets there 12:30-1 am. Did you check www.gtp.gr to see whether July schedule is posted yet??

I also have a concern with getting to Santorini but my concern is with the daily hi-speed. There are 5 of us who want to take it Thursday May 24... we really NEED to be on that particular day's boat. And I'm wondering whether I need to book my tickets online in advance.

I've never done that in my previous trips, but would hate to be shut out -- and the THursday boat might have more demand since it doesn't run Wednesday.

I'd be able to buy the tickets one week ahead (when we arrive in Crete, May 17). Would that be enough advance booking? Please reassure me, wise ones -- i.e., brotherleelove. Thanks!!
Mar 25th, 2007, 02:57 PM

Jan-I'm not sure if you saw my response in your other posting about this. Here is a re-cap:

Assuming from your past postings that you're heading straight to Chania from the airport without going into town, if you have time between planes go to the Amphitrion Holidays' travel office at the airport. They sell Hellenic Seaways and Blue Star ferry tickets. You can buy them right there and have it out of the way.

If you don't have time just wait until you get to Chania as you mentioned. You have a week, tickets will still be available.

Apr 10th, 2007, 05:47 AM

What's the difference between economy and business on the hi-speed from Iraklion to Santorini? How long does the ride take? It is worth it to pay extra for business class?
Apr 10th, 2007, 08:15 AM

These photos will let you see the difference: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd/fc4-gallery.htm

The trip takes about 2 hours.

Business class will probably be more comfortable.
Apr 10th, 2007, 02:32 PM
littlebigshot

I've taken business class a few times on other high-speed ferries. The main difference in my experience was that business class was virtually empty. So it may or may not be worth the extra money, depending on how crowded standard class is and how much the crowds bother you.

Apr 10th, 2007, 02:38 PM

It also might depend on how much luggage you are bringing and how convenient the storage is in economy vs. business class.

We will be traveling with 2 22-inch rolling suitcases. In business class, is there room by our seats to keep them.

Apr 11th, 2007, 07:49 AM

suntravler, I'm assuming that your passports & cash & cards & camera will be in your pocket or your daypack, so why get all woozy-woozy about having your suitcase full of clothes right by your side?

The Greek Isles are not the same as Naples. Greece has the lowest crime rate in Europe; it does not have a culture of petty theft. People have been putting their luggage on ship luggage racks on Greek ferry boats for ages, without incident. Try to relax a little .
Apr 11th, 2007, 08:32 AM

Hi, Travelerjan....

Thanks for the input.

My passport, etc., will be quite well-concealed on my body!

"Try to relax a little ."

That's why I need this vacation so badly. However, please keep in mind that it is difficult to "switch gears" and change one's mindset overnight. I've always lived in places where a person must be vigilant about protecting personal belongings.

Thanks again.

Apr 11th, 2007, 09:14 AM
littlebigshot

Second the statement that Greece has a low crime rate -- I've never heard of anything getting stolen from a bag left on a Greek ferry or bus. No doubt it happens and you shouldn't leave extremely valuable things in bags where you're not watching them just on principle. But you're unlikely to have a problem.

A minor exception: Piraeus is one place where I wouldn't turn my back on my baggage, though leaving it in ferry office's left luggage areas should be safe.