Should we get sat. nav. in rental car?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it worth the extra expense to get GPS on our rental car while visiting Ireland later this year?
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 02:18 PM

From a just completed post response (3 posts down from this one, "GPS use in Spain - bring from home or rent". What are the odds of two similar posts 52 minutes apart;

You can arrange to have a GPS when you rent, at an extra cost, but they almost always have a charge associated with them.

If you already have a GPS you are familiar with, I would bring it.

The issues to consider are;

the cost of purchasing the Europe maps for your GPS, including whether you will be able to amortize that by using the maps on another trip (they usually sell Western Europe maps, not just individual countries) versus

the daily charge from the rental company, your possible unfamiliarity with the foreign GPS device, including possible future rentals as noted above.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Irish roads are a lot better signed than they used to be so unless you aim to get off the well beaten track I wouldn't bother. Get a decent map and don't be afraid to ask a native if you do happen to think you are lost.

Just for fun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNNi...eature=related
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM

It is very easy to get lost in Ireland, and that is a great part of the charm, but when you are looking for your B&B after dark and you don't really know where you are, the satnav can be a lifesaver.

We have rented the one from the car agency; unfortunately, my teenage navigators didn't know much about them so things could have gone better. Next time we brought our own, son-in-law very graciously provided the Ireland maps and this teenage navigator was very knowledgeable so we were much happier.

Just be sure to hide all evidence every time you leave the car as they are targets for thieves there, as everywhere.
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:00 PM

Not vital,...I've driven Ireland four times since 1980. Each time I used a navigation system named M.A.P. available at your local book store or in Ireland. Oh, you'll get lost once in a while...and there's no better place to do that than in Ireland. I'm guilty of asking directions and then asking the man or woman to repeat it. Love to listen to that lilt.
stu

Here's a look for you of rural Ireland from the period of 1980-1996 to give you an idea of the progress made in housing upgrades for the elderly. The Moloney family, now all gone to Irish heaven, were the brother and sister of Boston Irish friends of ours. (Photos taken in Tullokyne near Galway).

( will send in next post below)
Old Feb 16th, 2012, 04:03 PM

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuartto...6PhMe88fG7yQE#