Wife and I will be traveling to Greece in September for the first time. Very excited, not nervous, but as I've been researching, I've had a couple questions about ferry travel. For those in the know, please advise:
I've learned that Seajets is a less reliable company so I want to avoid them. For a ferry from Mykonos to Naxos on a Tuesday, I see 2 desirable morning options: Hellenic (Flying Cat 4) and Blue Star.
Later, on a Thurs, for Naxos to Santorini, I've learned that it is best to go with Blue Star so you can go outside on the deck on island approach. I would like to take the noon-1pm ferry that day.
I am a planner by nature and tend to like to purchase tickets ahead of time. I suppose ferry timetable could change if there are protests/strikes.
My questions include:
For these times/routes, is purchasing 3-4 days ahead of departure enough time for the Myk-Naxos ferry trip (ie. I could purchase when we arrive to Myk)? Can I purchase the Naxos-Sant ticket in Myk at the same time? If not, would purchasing 1 day ahead of time on Naxos be okay or risky (of a sellout) for the weekday trip to Sant?
Given time of year, would you purchase ahead of time? Most reliable site to use? I've looked at a couple but there are discrepancies between some time tables.
Is the Hellenic boat much more bumpy than the Blue Star? Seasickness is an issue.
Is it pretty easy to locate the ferry ticket offices on Myk and Naxos?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I continue to research. Thank you.
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Slovenia and Croatia in January (Solo)
- 2 6 days in Slovenia and Croatia in January
- 3 Advise Needed
- 4 First Time To Europe Itinerary. Thoughts? Suggestions? Please
- 5 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 6 Sampling Some of Sicily and Bits of Italy Beyond
- 7 land vs river cruise
- 8 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 9 Hiking - Suggest a location
- 10 Festival du Citron (Lemon Festival), Menton
- 11 Help with suggestions for Portugal 2 week trip
- 12 19 days Ireland by car - please advise
- 13 Scotland ideas
- 14 Tips for first trip to UK
- 15 Help Getting from Faro to Lisbon
- 16 Iceland tours from Keflavik
- 17 September in Venice, Croatia, and Slovenia
- 18 The World's Greatest Churches
- 19 Devon and Dorset: Where to Base?
- 20 Black Friday in Britain? Why?
- 21 Malaga Christmas lights
- 22 Portugal
- 23 Paris November 2017
- 24 Anyone ever used a resort for a day in Santorini??
- 25 What To Do in Athens on a Sunday