Ferries from Portsmouth to Normandy

Old Aug 17th, 1998, 09:56 AM
Crystal

Ferries from Portsmouth to Normandy

My husband and I will be travelling to France next summer and are trying to determine the best ferry line for crossing from Portsmouth to Caen to visit the Normandy Beaches. Also, should we take the night ferry? What is the best way to see the D-Day sights--rental car, bus, tour? Best places to stay overnight in Bayeau? Any help will be appreciated!

Old Aug 18th, 1998, 11:47 PM
Jan

Hi Crystal,The only ferry line that runs a service from Portsmouth to Caen is Brittany Ferries their web address is www.brittany-ferries.com. The other ferry company running a service from Portsmouth is P&O European Ferries web address www.poef.com. They sail to LeHavre and Cherbourg. The day crossing takes 5-6 hours so if you think that sounds a bit long and boring the night crossing might be a good idea. I haven't got any knowledge about bus tours as the times we have travelled there it has always been by car. If I can be of any other help, email me. Jan

Old Aug 19th, 1998, 02:21 AM
Jan

Just had a thought after posting the other reply, you might like to check out the Logis de France web site at www.logis-de-france for information on hotels and restaurants, I haven't personally used any of the hotels in the logis chain in Bayeau, but I have used a lot of their hotels in other regions in France, and they have all been very good. Makes a nice change from the annonymous "one of a chain" type hotel.