Feeding our family on Christmas Eve in Munich

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to be in Munich with a three generation family for Christmas markets from December 19 to 26. I am reading a lot of information about when the markets are open and closed and think we can work this out to maximize our time given the variations in opening and closings for most days. But t am now beginning to worry about actually being able to feed the 7 person clan for dinner on Christmas Eve, and for lunch and dinner on Christmas Day. Can anyone with experience in Munich in previous years (or knowledge of schedules for this year) provide some information on options and guidance on where to look for prepared food on these days when most locals will be preparing to stay home with families rather than take care of tourists? Thanks much for any help and suggestions you can provide.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 10:09 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've spent several Christmases in Munich...most places close around 2 pm on Christmas Eve as you've discovered, but there's always something open - often in the train stations, etc, perhaps not what you're looking for but you won't starve.

If you're staying in a hotel and want a nice festive meal, I suggest you start by asking them.

IME you'll find more open on Christmas Day than Christmas Eve.
Old Oct 15th, 2021, 03:48 PM

Hi Julie, I googled in German 'Munich restaurants that are open at Christmas' and came up with these pages. They are from 2019, so the story could be quite different now, but you might try contacting individual restaurants and finding out if you can book ahead:

https://muenchen.mitvergnuegen.com/2...htsfeiertagen/
https://www.abendzeitung-muenchen.de...net-art-460648

Use Google Chrome to translate the pages, but if you are looking at the German, handy words are Weihnachten (Christmas), Heiligabend (Holy Evening, i.e. 24th December), erster Weihnachtstag (first Christmas Day, i.e. 25th December), zweiter Weihnachtstag (second Christmas Day, i.e. 26th December). Many things will be open by the 26th. If you are just looking for filled rolls and bakery goods, as Melnq8 says, you will find them at the station. Also I don't know where you are staying but big hotels usually have restaurants that are open so you might contact some of the bigger name chain hotels and see if you can't make a booking.

Lavandula
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 03:09 AM

Thanks for the very helpful (and reassuring) responses. So pleased that not only will we not starve, but it sounds like we can have some very good food and fun. I'm off to collect votes for which places to pursue for reservations. Thanks again.
Old Oct 16th, 2021, 09:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had the same problems in London for 12/24 and 12/25. With the help of a local we got a Christmas Eve dinner reservation and on Christmas Eve day picked up a completed cooked fabulous Christmas Dinner that we reheated the next day in our rented home.
It sounds like you have solved what can be a difficult problem!